Udon Thani is underrated

14 minutes ago, pest said:

I had 4 years there never been back But we left due to lack of english school options 

We left as soon as daughter was done High School, as no need to be there, and couldn't leave before that, or we surely would have.

Aside from the air pollution, almost half the year, simply one boring A$$ place after a year or 2 of exploring locally, within 200-300 kms.  Only interesting landscape, within that radius, is on the edge of the plateau or riverside.

Really too far from any place else, and non stop flights to Phuket were only during high season ... no thanks, besides the kid in school.

O&A during the school breaks, as much as possible, so a good 3 months away yearly, when wanting.

Only been back, 3X, to liquidate assets.  During covid, so actually not bad at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lockyv7 said:

My misses grew up in Udon thani and she never wants to go back there either, i found it ok but a little dry and dusty at times and i miss the beach not that i go into the water anymore but to just have a few beers and look at the sea is soothing for me. 

Our daughter, who was quite social in HS, also has no desire to even visit.   Even cut all times with her birth family (GrandMa/Pa).   Adopted wife and myself this year, taking our last name.  Quite enjoys the Big Mango lifestyle.

People - nong khai

Atmosphere - nong khai

Food - nong khai and khon kaen

Night market - khon kaen

Nightlife - khon kaen

Temples - khon kaen

Cafes - udon

Women - khon kaen

(Udon night mkt is terrible)

Udon ranks 3rd

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Also the Central Plaza shopping mall should that be your thing.

Is it not the same as all other Central Plaza shopping malls anywhere else in Thailand, same stores, phone shops, shoe & clothing shops, food outlets etc etc

16 hours ago, GameMaster said:

Why ? Just went to that UD market area. Best night market in Thailand for food imo. I'm very surprised by your opinion. Tell me more: what went wrong for you ?

In your 'couple of days ' stay, how many of these cheaper girls and night market foods did you sample?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dayo202 said:

Enough bars to chill (girls are the same as in Pattaya, prices are much lower though)....... Don't know about that 

Which of the three points quoted are you arguing against and what makes you think that way?

• Thanks 1