Thailand Sees More Than 400,000 Foreign Tourists in First Week of May

snoop1130

1681553224863-696x392.jpg

Thailand saw 446,936 foreign tourists in the first week of May 2023, a slight decline due to the end of the long holiday in many regions, said the Office of the Permanent Secretary for Tourism and Sports.

The office estimated that there would be at least 2 million tourists visiting the country in May mainly from ASEAN countries, East Asia, and Southeast Asia.

However, as of May 8th, there has been a slight decrease in the number of foreign tourists after the end of the long holiday in many regions. As a result, in the past week (May 1st-7th), there were 446,936 foreign tourists entering Thailand, which is slightly lower than the previous week’s forecast.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/05/09/thailand-sees-more-than-400000-foreign-tourists-in-first-week-of-may/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-05-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

Probably it will go down as my Embassy gave a warning that there are this weekend elections and there could be demonstration.. Advice to stay away from gatherings and demonstrations as for the harsh police interferences... Good for tourism or not??

12 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

What current BS numbers are they using now?

I thought TAT predicted 25m tourists this year?

RAZZ

Perhaps they're counting every entering individual twice. 

Maybe they could tell us where they all went to, 

The best indication is when you have a drive around, Sunday I had to go check for a friend at a 5 star hotel in Karon it was around 11 am the place was dead even the receptionist said it's quiet, driving back through Kata to Rawai it was quiet not many people about,

Monday evening I had a drive around Nai Harn about 5 pm not many people about around the lake it was mostly Thai people jogging or walking, 

Today I have to go to the airport will be around Noon, 

So where are they all TAT? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Amazing how they can tell to the last digit how many people entered, just waiting for the "how much they all spent" to the last baht in tomorrows press release.

Why amazing? Simple query ran over the Immigration database will give you this ujmber in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Probably it will go down as my Embassy gave a warning that there are this weekend elections and there could be demonstration.. Advice to stay away from gatherings and demonstrations as for the harsh police interferences... Good for tourism or not??

Yes if it isn't the result people want keep your heads down

16 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

RAZZ

They estimated between 24m - 30mm. So far they year to date have exceeded 2m + per month, 12 * 2m = 24m. No BS just reporting actual arrivals.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The office estimated that there would be at least 2 million tourists visiting the country in May mainly from ASEAN countries, East Asia, and Southeast Asia.

447 K number of Tourists is just a tad more than a " slight decline "

Its 20 % or so less

47 minutes ago, kinyara said:

They estimated between 24m - 30mm. So far they year to date have exceeded 2m + per month, 12 * 2m = 24m. No BS just reporting actual arrivals.

Do you work for TAT?

Everyone knows that the first 3-4 months are the "high season", with Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year and Songkran.

They're not even getting an average of 2m a month now. They'll be lucky to break 20m - which is HALF of pre-covid levels.

RAZZ

• Thumbs Up 1

The "Office of the Permanent Secretary for Tourism and Sports" needs to be awarded a medal - or even better = give 'em two. 

I'm always appalled by the EXACT number of alien crossing into the holy land; there must be hundreds if not thousands of "number counting officers"; I for one would use the scare government resources of tourism budgets to improve the image, get the product streamlined promoted professionally for quality tourism. 

Until then I shall get some more popcorn and wait for the next avalanche of numbers being drizzled all over those empty hotels and restaurants looking depressed into a bleak future of countless tourists from India, China and North Asia - most of them in the "zero dollar" category. The few Laotian shoppers and the Malay gents crossing for some bedsheet fun might not affect the tourism gauge that much ???? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Do you work for TAT?

Everyone knows that the first 3-4 months are the "high season", with Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year and Songkran.

They're not even getting an average of 2m a month now. They'll be lucky to break 20m - which is HALF of pre-covid levels.

RAZZ

No, but I do look at the statistics every month.

Jan - 2,144,948

Feb - 2,133,550

Mar - 2,219,040

Apr - 2,130,715

May ( est. see above ) - 446,936 / 7 / * 31 = 1,979,288

10.6 millon after 5 months is an average of over 2.1 million a month.

If you look back at recent years pre-covid the Chinese and Indian markets have reduced the variation between the old " high season " model.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

The "Office of the Permanent Secretary for Tourism and Sports" needs to be awarded a medal - or even better = give 'em two. 

I'm always appalled by the EXACT number of alien crossing into the holy land; there must be hundreds if not thousands of "number counting officers"; I for one would use the scare government resources of tourism budgets to improve the image, get the product streamlined promoted professionally for quality tourism. 

Until then I shall get some more popcorn and wait for the next avalanche of numbers being drizzled all over those empty hotels and restaurants looking depressed into a bleak future of countless tourists from India, China and North Asia - most of them in the "zero dollar" category. The few Laotian shoppers and the Malay gents crossing for some bedsheet fun might not affect the tourism gauge that much ???? 

The good news is you don't need to be appalled any more,  those hundreds if not thousands of " number counting officers " were replaced by a thing called the computer years ago. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kinyara said:

The good news is you don't need to be appalled any more,  those hundreds if not thousands of " number counting officers " were replaced by a thing called the computer years ago. 

Which, more than once, did not work online at the FB 1 in Nong Khai. Possibly batching data later on is done yet I seriously wonder, how these figures are compiled. The TM6 card is obsolete unless you cross overland while nobody knows, how many dual nationals enter with a non-Thai passport by plane shows as a tourist? 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, kinyara said:

No, but I do look at the statistics every month.

Jan - 2,144,948

Feb - 2,133,550

Mar - 2,219,040

Apr - 2,130,715

May ( est. see above ) - 446,936 / 7 / * 31 = 1,979,288

10.6 millon after 5 months is an average of over 2.1 million a month.

If you look back at recent years pre-covid the Chinese and Indian markets have reduced the variation between the old " high season " model.

Exactly.  Pattaya, for one, no longer has low and high seasons.  Instead, it's busy and busier seasons.  

On 5/10/2023 at 11:34 AM, kinyara said:

When you arrive in the country you stand in a queue and your details are entered into the immigration computer system. Amazing isn't it.

So would I be a tourist  UK born lived here 25; years and always without exception enter through the Thai only desk, and yes you are correct " Amazing isn't it" that then figures are so accurate well done ????????

On 5/9/2023 at 7:02 PM, RAZZELL said:

RAZZ

2 million in the month of May, times 12 months in the year plus a few more in high season = about 25 million.

1 hour ago, Almer said:
1 hour ago, Almer said:

So would I be a tourist  UK born lived here 25; years and always without exception enter through the Thai only desk, and yes you are correct " Amazing isn't it" that then figures are so accurate well done ????????

Depends on what passport you are on, not sure whether mentioning you go through the Thai only desk signifies you have a dual Thai passport, and what visa you have - tourist visa or 30 day exempt for tourism.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

2 million in the month of May, times 12 months in the year plus a few more in high season = about 25 million.

Well, it won't be 12 x 2m as it only just reached 2 million during this high season! 

RAZZ

13 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Well, it won't be 12 x 2m as it only just reached 2 million during this high season! 

RAZZ

Sorry, I missed the sarcasm emoji on my post. 555