Tucker Carlson to relaunch show on Twitter

onthedarkside

image.png.ba55a5c39f9640eb21814e4bc80988d3.png

Former Fox News host Tucker Carlson is relaunching his show on Twitter after the primetime host abruptly exited Fox News last month.

“Starting soon, we’ll be bringing a new version of the show we’ve been doing for the last six and a half years to Twitter,” Carlson said in a Twitter post Tuesday. “We’ll bring some other things too, which we’ll tell you about. But for now, we’re just grateful to be here.”

In the Twitter post, Carlson claimed there’s been a decline of free speech and that the media has “limits” when it comes to freely speaking on air.

READ MORE

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/09/tucker-carlson-relaunch-fox-show-twitter-00096047

image.png.f18da872187e3f7313f10fbd85408ee3.png

• Haha 1

Scoop: Tucker Carlson accuses Fox of fraud, contract breach

Tucker Carlson, two weeks after being ousted by Fox News, accused the network Tuesday of fraud and breach of contract — and made a host of document demands that could precede legal action.

Why it matters: The aggressive letter from his lawyers to Fox positions Carlson to argue that the noncompete provision in his contract is no longer valid — freeing him to launch his own competing show or media enterprise.

https://www.axios.com/2023/05/09/tucker-carlson-fox-news-letter-fraud

image.png.f3e57e8cbba1e694ef8e546c3860222a.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, James105 said:

Advertisers love advertising to big audiences, of which I am sure he will have.  Not sure why the anti-free speech brigade find this this concept so difficult to comprehend.  There is a great big non-woke audience out there and Bud light have recently discovered this the hard way at significant cost to their business.  

Actually, advertisers don't love advertising to nasty parties like Tucker Carlson. He may have drawn a large audience, at least large by comparison to his competitors, but his show had a hard time actually drawing advertisers.

With Tucker Carlson out, are Fox News’ advertisers back in?

The final years of Tucker Carlson’s tenure at Fox News were marked by the departure of traditional advertisers from his program — despite the 3 million-plus viewers he attracted each night until he parted ways with the network this week.

Some analysts think those advertisers may return to the hour of prime time that Carlson leaves behind. Across the board, though, cable news outlets are chasing after an ever-shrinking pool of advertising dollars.

https://www.marketplace.org/2023/04/26/with-tucker-carlson-out-are-fox-news-advertisers-back-in/

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, James105 said:

I've bolded the words "some" and "may" as they are doing some heavy lifting there.   The new audience in that time slot is half of what it was with Carlson.   Do woke advertisers pay the same for an audience that is 50% of the size?  I don't think so.   

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/tucker-carlson-fox-news-advertisers-return-1235606123/

"Nonetheless, Carlson’s ratings — he delivered more than 3.05 million viewers on average in April before his program was cancelled — have helped buoy the economics of his program. In 2022, according to Vivvix, a tracker of ad spending, advertisers spent around $77.5 million on “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” compared with $67.6 million in 2021, representing a jump of approximately 14.7%. In contrast, “Hannity” at 9 p.m. captured nearly $50.4 million in 2022, while “The Ingraham Angle” at 10 p.m. lured about $53.7 million.

Viewership of the hour has slumped since Carlson’s departure. Thursday’s broadcast of “Fox News Tonight,” for example, drew an average of 1.55 million, according to data from Nielsen. The audience for the show was still greater than that for MSNBC, which captured more than 1.44 million, or CNN, which lured an average of 571,000."

So in your expert opinion, who was making more advertising revenue in that time slot?   

1. Carlson, with 3m viewers

2. MSNBC with 1.44m

3. CNN with 0.57m

First off, you take no account of the expenses incurred. Carlson's salary alone was 35 million per year. The show contributed 7% to Fox's total revenue.

And I don't know who makes more in that time slot. As I've pointed out, major companies shunned Carlson's show. So that would affect the advertising rates, too, no?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

"On this platform, unlike the one-way street of broadcast, people are able to interact, critique and refute whatever he or anyone may say. And, of course, anything misleading will get

@CommunityNotes

. I also want to be clear that we have not signed a deal of any kind whatsoever. Tucker is subject to the same rules & rewards of all content creators. "

Good to see it's confirmed there will be no special treatment for Carlson. I note the community notes are working perfectly, even propagandist Glen Kessler got fact checked recently - and boy did he not like it! Great to see Twitter acting as an unbiased free speech forum. Shame it took Musk's buyout to make that happen.

@CommunityNotes :whistling:

Have you signed up to be a contributor to community notes yet? All you need is to pay for your blue tick. Then you to can apply and go off fact checking tweets and videos..............lol

When people watch video's as their preferred medium they are unlikely to bother clicking on any community notes underneath anyway.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, James105 said:

Let me repeat what I posted above:

"In 2022, according to Vivvix, a tracker of ad spending, advertisers spent around $77.5 million on “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” compared with $67.6 million in 2021, representing a jump of approximately 14.7%."

A 14.7% increase year on year is typically considered a "good thing".   I know it is sad when the facts do not support the narrative you want to believe in, but it is what it is.   

The bottom line is still the bottom line. It was a jump from a low base.  Without knowing how other shows on Fox fared, this number isn't necessarily impressive. iAnd of course, it was a year with relatively high inflation. Take that into account and that jump looks considerably smaller.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Advertisers love advertising to big audiences, of which I am sure he will have.  Not sure why the anti-free speech brigade find this this concept so difficult to comprehend.  There is a great big non-woke audience out there and Bud light have recently discovered this the hard way at significant cost to their business.  

Interesting you mention bud light. Sort of back fired on the loons boycotting it. The company that owns it is Anheuser-Busch, were a majority Republican party donator and dear old Trump has shares in it. 

No wonder Trump Jr was telling people to stop the boycott.....lol

Anti free speech brigade? Not sure what on earth your talking about there.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, James105 said:

Let me repeat what I posted above:

"In 2022, according to Vivvix, a tracker of ad spending, advertisers spent around $77.5 million on “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” compared with $67.6 million in 2021, representing a jump of approximately 14.7%."

A 14.7% increase year on year is typically considered a "good thing".   I know it is sad when the facts do not support the narrative you want to believe in, but it is what it is.   

And how do you explain this away?

Advertisers return to Fox News's 8 pm slot after Tucker Carlson exit

Advertisers are making a return to Fox News Channel's 8 p.m. EST time slot in the wake of Tucker Carlson's exit from the network.

For years, major blue-chip advertisers avoided Carlson's time slot, but since his departure last month, advertisements have started to come back, according to a report.

Procter & Gamble, one of the most significant advertisers in the country, is now running ads during Fox News Tonight for female products, including Venus razor blades by Gillette and Secret underarm deodorant, the report noted.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/advertisers-return-to-fox-news-8-pm-slot

Edited by placeholder
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

Starting soon

Like when?

I'm guessing the first guest will not be Matt Taibbi.

And now, instead of the Jan. 6 videos, which was an embarassing flop, he'll have exclusive access to The Twitter Files.

BTW, his "free speech" was "restricted" by Rupert Murdoch, and not the Government, and only a result of being fired.

He is still free to speak.

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And how do you explain this away?

Advertisers return to Fox News's 8 pm slot after Tucker Carlson exit

Advertisers are making a return to Fox News Channel's 8 p.m. EST time slot in the wake of Tucker Carlson's exit from the network.

For years, major blue-chip advertisers avoided Carlson's time slot, but since his departure last month, advertisements have started to come back, according to a report.

Procter & Gamble, one of the most significant advertisers in the country, is now running ads during Fox News Tonight for female products, including Venus razor blades by Gillette and Secret underarm deodorant, the report noted.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/advertisers-return-to-fox-news-8-pm-slot

Are they paying the same for the slot with half the audience as they would have had to before?  I think not.   This is an example of an advertiser taking advantage of the extra free advertising from making a press announcement following Tuckers firing that for minimal investment (as the adverts will be cheaper now) they can get some free news coverage.   No doubt they will also advertise on Tuckers twitter channel if the audience statistics tell them that their customers or target market are watching that show.  

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What statement appears to be unfounded?

This was what you said:

"When people watch video's as their preferred medium they are unlikely to bother clicking on any community notes underneath anyway."

Just saying that without community notes the lies on that video would have gone unchecked, which is what you appeared to be saying people would not do.   

• Like 2

Just now, James105 said:

Are they paying the same for the slot with half the audience as they would have had to before?  I think not.   This is an example of an advertiser taking advantage of the extra free advertising from making a press announcement following Tuckers firing that for minimal investment (as the adverts will be cheaper now) they can get some free news coverage.   No doubt they will also advertise on Tuckers twitter channel if the audience statistics tell them that their customers or target market are watching that show.  

Why would they advertise on Carlson's twitter, when they refused to advertise on his show? As for what rates the show can charge...the more people bidding to advertise the higher the rates can be. 

Just now, James105 said:

This was what you said:

"When people watch video's as their preferred medium they are unlikely to bother clicking on any community notes underneath anyway."

Just saying that without community notes the lies on that video would have gone unchecked, which is what you appeared to be saying people would not do.   

Its clear what I said and still remains the case, its not unfounded at all as you suggest.

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

When people watch video's as their preferred medium they are unlikely to bother clicking on any community notes underneath anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, riclag said:

Good luck to Tucker and Elon!

2 rich kids who support discussion !

Just in time for the elections!

[Musk continued, “I also want to be clear that we have not signed a deal of any kind whatsoever. Tucker is subject to the same rules & rewards of all content creators.”]

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/elon-musk-tucker-carlson-show-000702995.html