Pouting land seller

16 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

The land was NOT listed for sale, right?  You just saw it, thought you might buy it, and tracked down the owner through the land office.

Your proxy contacted the owner out of the blue wanting to buy it.  Owner offered a fair price, your proxy tried to haggle him down without making an actual offer. At which point owner told him to essentially fornicate off, it's not for sale.

Basically yes. I didn't know asking to reduce the price a little was such an offense? Lesson learned. I may have to go back and offer a higher price if I pissed the guy off.

4 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Basically yes. I didn't know asking to reduce the price a little was such an offense? Lesson learned. I may have to go back and offer a higher price if I pissed the guy off.

It wasn't that, it was that you never actually made an offer.

You tracked down the owner of land that isn't for sale, contacted the owner, but never get down to negotiating. 

Your proxy never made an offer, just said "too much, lower the price" even though you say the price was reasonable.

Doesn't seem to be a serious buyer.

• Like 2

Just now, NoDisplayName said:

You tracked down the owner of land that isn't for sale, contacted the owner, but never get down to negotiating. 

Your proxy never made an offer, just said "too much, lower the price" even though you say the price was reasonable.

Doesn't seem to be a serious buyer.

Yeah you may be right but I don't see how they thought we weren't serious buyers since we contacted them in the first place.

I'll go back and make an actual offer a little above what they said originally.

7 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

We contacted him through the land department, he's just some speculator that doesn't even live in the area I think. I saw the chanote on the government website  but haven't got so far as to see the actual original copy. It's possible it still has the 10 year hold on transfer but it does exist at least.

What I meant was - did you see that the plot is up for sale and then made the contact, or you just saw a plot you like and asked if owner would sell... as I WAS offered land (by "dealers") that the owner didn't want to sell.

When I was looking for land to buy, I looked for "4 sale" signs and contacted the number listed. I never just went to ask see a chanot which wasn't on offer at the land department. Also - the land department usually do NOT have the contact number of owners. I never had to show/give my tabian bahn when bought a property and never had to give or update my contact details. In the few occasions I was offered a plot by a "dealer" who refused to get me in touch with the actual owner and I tried to get his details from the land department I was told they don't have the details...

As for the "red chanot (sale restrictions) if you saw the back side of the chanot the stamp is there with the earliest date the property can be legally transferred. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

What I meant was - did you see that the plot is up for sale and then made the contact, or you just saw a plot you like and asked if owner would sell... as I WAS offered land (by "dealers") that the owner didn't want to sell.

We contacted the land office because a plot nearby with an adjoining number which was owned by a person working at the land office so we thought it may be someone they know.  The guy at the land office said the owner was selling it (they did know each other) and the price was 1 mil/rai. Following that we asked if he could reduce the price a little to account for grading as other flat plots in the area are going for the same price or less and don't require that extra work.

So we were talking through the owners contact in the land office and never got he number of the actual owner. I don't know how serious he ever was of selling and just the idea of haggling pissed the guy off.

Thinking now we may leave an open offer for the original price + 10% in cash and see how he likes that.

5 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

They have no idea who we are. We had to contact the land office to ask who owned the land as there was no other way to contact the owner. I think the owner just doesn't want to sell as they think they'll get more money by waiting.

It is just my opinion I do lots of stuff because I guess I got nothing else to do LOL, 

I get a theory and then I find ways to prosecute if I can. 

I've purchase a number of property but of course it is all in my wife's name. She in the beginning like most Thai in general feel it is Embrassment to ask questions they think for whatever reason can't simply because it is Thailand. I been wrong at best 5% of the time. 

Some of these Land offices are the biggest crooks when you went to find out the owner of land from my experience they your proxy?  LOL if they came back at a Million most likely was for example 900,000 the proxy if the got you to bite commission 100,000.

I don't know how many times I've seen this not only at land office. 

My wife learn this trick when it comes to other things she find a contractor for someone prior to them meeting the contractor know if given the job she is going to get a commission. 

Someone usually the neighbor or friend nearby knows someone is watching the land so it doesn't get dumped on or use. You need to have your wife white lie make up a story a reason to flush them out.  I got my current house 15 years ago the land next door I wanted to buy wife told one neighbor we wanted to build something an addition wanted to be considerate a week later we got knock it was the owner. Once she told me I kept silent his price was 900,000 I offered 750,000 I would pay the transfer tax and everything in cash next day.  Done!  I found out while waiting at land office he paid 300,000 years ago. 

Since then I do this everywhere cars, bikes, just to prove I can.  

The house I live in model wasn't available week later deal felt through gave us a call we took a second look I offer a 100,000 less cash done. 

That is my opinion my experience.  Good luck

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

That is my opinion my experience.  Good luck

Rent seeking is everywhere in Thailand. I've experienced this myself with people showing me land and I guarantee the person we contacted is taking at least 10%. Not ideal of course but that's how it worked out.

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Yeah we may go back one more time and offer him the original asking price in cash just so he gets the idea but that may prompt the guy to raise the price on us now. It's already expensive and requires and investment to grade and a well which will cost at least 150k. That's why we wanted the discount.

But seen through other eyes - "I want a discount because it will need X,Y & Z". - "But I'm not selling it with X,Y & Z included"

48 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Rent seeking is everywhere in Thailand. I've experienced this myself with people showing me land and I guarantee the person we contacted is taking at least 10%. Not ideal of course but that's how it worked out.

Sometimes you cant beat the system I've dealt with land offices as noted we would look around the land you interested have your wife ask around stay in car LOL. 

You might get lucky,  don't say you want to buy lie tell them you want to rent land grow bananas.

9 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

is it really unproductive? the farmland we bought 15 years ago is now selling for 6x the price we paid.. land does go up in value here - - for a normal Thai it is usually the best investment they can make.

sorry I forgot to respond to this. 6x over 15 years is incredible and beats literally every other investment you could ever make. My wife's family has some land which they know is worth 25 million but of course they can't find a buyer.

Tell the proxy to approach the seller to say that if he / she ever changes his mind then you will offer full asking price plus pay transfer taxes at the land office. Also the proxy must say its normal for farang to negotiate in his culture. 

On 5/16/2023 at 9:08 PM, NorthernRyland said:

sorry I forgot to respond to this. 6x over 15 years is incredible and beats literally every other investment you could ever make. My wife's family has some land which they know is worth 25 million but of course they can't find a buyer.

We bought a lot more land at higher prices through the years, up to about 150k per rai but that was some years ago... and land is always in demand near our village at going rates, if it is desirable land... in case you were implying that is a dream price, it is not... it is going rate and there are always more buyers than sellers... yes, it has proven to be a great investment -- that does happen. 

And the added bonus is that the family has been making a living farming it in the meantime... 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 7:51 AM, AustinRacing said:

Maybe it is just a misunderstanding. Maybe he doesn’t like farangs. Seems subjective reasoning behind it which you can’t really do much about.
I tried negotiating with a few second hand car dealers. The puzzled look on their faces indicated their unfamiliarity with this practice. I was surprised that they did not entertain negotiation. 

Same happened to me years ago buying an HD from a shop in BKK.They told me the price.I decided I wanted it and offered them 10K less...they looked amazed that I had the nerve to even ask me such a question. I bought it at full asking price but they did some mods for free and shipped it to Pattaya for me.TIT

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

We bought a lot more land at higher prices through the years, up to about 150k per rai but that was some years ago... and land is always in demand near our village at going rates, if it is desirable land... in case you were implying that is a dream price, it is not... it is going rate and there are always more buyers than sellers... yes, it has proven to be a great investment -- that does happen. 

Maybe the land was undervalued where you are or it's going through some kind of urbanization? Expecting 6x increase every 15 years is not sustainable though right?

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

Maybe the land was undervalued where you are or it's going through some kind of urbanization? Expecting 6x increase every 15 years is not sustainable though right?

no urbanization, maybe the village is growing a little but no, I would definitely not expect it to keep growing at the multiple we received. And, actually it has surprised me as most of our land has no other usage than agricultural and crop prices have not kept up with the increases. 

9 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

no urbanization, maybe the village is growing a little but no, I would definitely not expect it to keep growing at the multiple we received. And, actually it has surprised me as most of our land has no other usage than agricultural and crop prices have not kept up with the increases. 

I think we have people buying land in Thailand as inflation hedges. Could be a bubble and a good time to sell while the prices are high. US housing market is starting to crash so maybe the same thing will happen in Thailand?

• 3 weeks later...