Coronavirus / Face Masks Intl Traveling Report

Hello Tall Guy - on my EVA flight to LHR last week, in the departure lounge, as we boarded, we were asked to wear masks on entering the aircraft.

In the event, I saw only one or two masks on passengers in total, other than the one I was wearing ! If I recall the cabin crew were masked when serving.

And this, "There were no COVID related restrictions, or vaccination requirements, anymore for incoming international air travelers" - this was true at both ends, BKK and LHR . . . .

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Hello Tall Guy - on my EVA flight to LHR last week, in the departure lounge, as we boarded, we were asked to wear masks on entering the aircraft.

That's interesting... I don't recall hearing that kind of masking request in either of my boarding areas... either at Swampy or in Taipei....

But at Swampy, I find it often hard to hear or understand any of those due to both the ambient noise, low volume of the speaker system, AND the heavily accented voices of the airline staffs trying to speak English.

As I said above, the cabin crews on my two EVA flights wore their masks for the entirety of my two flights... even when they were in the galley areas working just among themselves... Presumably, EVA has some kind of policy for cabin crews on such things...

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's interesting... I don't recall hearing that kind of masking request in either of my boarding areas... either at Swampy or in Taipei....

But at Swampy, I find it often hard to hear or understand any of those due to both the ambient noise, low volume of the speaker system, AND the heavily accented voices of the airline staffs trying to speak English.

As I said above, the cabin crews on my two EVA flights wore their masks for the entirety of my two flights... even when they were in the galley areas working just among themselves... Presumably, EVA has some kind of policy for cabin crews on such things...

October last year I flew to Perth with Thai, nobody of the passengers was wearing masks only the fight attendants and Thais at swampy when I checked in but nobody at Perth  airport.  

Most face masks are pretty useless. Add to that they way they are worn by most people. It's become quite clear that the sense of security does not match the effectiveness. The only mask that really could help is an N95 when worn properly (which most people don't/didn't).

• Like 2

I have seen people wearing the same protective, surgical mask that would have been used for the coronavirus, while sanding sheetrock (gypsum board), which creates large size particulate that you can see floating in the air.   When the worker takes the mask off, you can see the particulate dust in their nostrils!  

Yet, it is supposed to catch a virus you cannot see?   

Glad to see it's almost universal with not requiring them in my area of the U.S. in southeast Pennsylvania.     A few weeks ago I went to a medical clinic to drop off a document.   The security guard went off like I was committing a criminal offense when I did not walk over and grab a mask.   The lady behind the plastic barrier refused to take the paper that I proffered through the 12 x 5 inch opening at the bottom of the barrier until I put a mask on.   I put the mask on, the lady took the paper, I took the mask off and walked out the door .
They called me up 4 days later and told me to return and pick up the document.  I walked in, no masks, no barriers!

Edited by radiochaser
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

I am not an anti masker since in the right places they definitely reduce transmission.

However, in a confined space ,  for many hours ,  with hundreds of people cheek by jowl  , breathing and exhaling from the shared oxygen supply , then I think they can not possibly reduce the odds of you contracting anything nasty that might be in the cabin. About as effective as keeping your fingers crossed.

Even worst case, a properly fit N95 mask still reduces your exposure by at least 95% for respiratory exposure. IOW, a 9.5 hour flight with mask is equivalent to a 6 minute flight without a mask. Of course you can also by N100 masks but they're expensive.

It's 'at least' because the 95% rating is for worst case particle size, which is usually 0.3 micron.

• Thanks 1

Just adding my recent experiences in case they're relevant:

February 2023 flew London Gatwick - Dubai - SUV on Emirates.

A VERY few people in LGW were wearing masks; similar at DXB. A few more were wearing them at SUV.

Nowhere along the route were masks REQUIRED - left up to people's choice.

April 2023  returned on the same route - very similar observations.

Slightly :offtopic: but the ONLY place I've been REQUIRED to wear a mask this year has been SCB at Pattaya Klang.

We spent the New Year in Bangkok and my Mother in-law diligently wore her mask everywhere we went but on our return home to Nakhon Sawan she was the only one who tested positive. None of us wore masks. She's 78 years old and not particularly in good health but didn't get ill, just a mild headache. She's had 2 jabs. Masks are ineffective at protecting you from contracting the virus but they can help stop you spreading it.

11 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Masks are ineffective at protecting you from contracting the virus but they can help stop you spreading it.

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything about face mask wear and COVID.

Nor does it negate the multiple studies that have been done that show wearing a quality face mask REDUCES, but doesn't eliminate, the risk of contracting COVID, even Omicron era COVID.

"A study from Tokyo tested how well different types of masks protected the wearer from actual coronavirus particles. The study showed that even a simple cotton mask offered some protection (17 percent to 27 percent) to the wearer. Medical masks performed better, including a surgical mask (47 percent to 50 percent protection), a loosefitting N95 (57 percent to 86 percent protection) and a tightly sealed N95 (79 percent to 90 percent protection)."

https://www.nytimes.com/article/covid-masks-protection-stats.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything about face mask wear and COVID.

Nor does it negate the multiple studies that have been done that show wearing a quality face mask REDUCES, but doesn't eliminate, the risk of contracting COVID, even Omicron era COVID.

"A study from Tokyo tested how well different types of masks protected the wearer from actual coronavirus particles. The study showed that even a simple cotton mask offered some protection (17 percent to 27 percent) to the wearer. Medical masks performed better, including a surgical mask (47 percent to 50 percent protection), a loosefitting N95 (57 percent to 86 percent protection) and a tightly sealed N95 (79 percent to 90 percent protection)."

https://www.nytimes.com/article/covid-masks-protection-stats.html

Correct, as jagg88 stated, they don't work, prevent infection.

10% infected, is like 10% pregnant...IMHO

Why more than 4.7 million people in Thailand had confirmed cases of covid and so many more millions probably simply didn't even know they had it, couldn't be bothered testing for, or didn't report it.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 9:58 AM, radiochaser said:

I have seen people wearing the same protective, surgical mask that would have been used for the coronavirus, while sanding sheetrock (gypsum board), which creates large size particulate that you can see floating in the air.   When the worker takes the mask off, you can see the particulate dust in their nostrils!  

Yet, it is supposed to catch a virus you cannot see?   

Glad to see it's almost universal with not requiring them in my area of the U.S. in southeast Pennsylvania.     A few weeks ago I went to a medical clinic to drop off a document.   The security guard went off like I was committing a criminal offense when I did not walk over and grab a mask.   The lady behind the plastic barrier refused to take the paper that I proffered through the 12 x 5 inch opening at the bottom of the barrier until I put a mask on.   I put the mask on, the lady took the paper, I took the mask off and walked out the door .
They called me up 4 days later and told me to return and pick up the document.  I walked in, no masks, no barriers!

I used to wear a vapor mask when cleaning chimneys and when I was done, I'd blow my nose and it will come out anywhere from Gray to Black ... masks don't work.

image.png.71fb040db5719e5678826a235b5f96ba.png

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Why more than 4.7 million people in Thailand had confirmed cases of covid and so many more millions probably simply didn't even know they had it, couldn't be bothered testing for, or didn't report it.

Wrong.

10% infected means 10% of the people exposed got infected. 10% pregnant means 10% of your girlfriends got pregnant. Your just being silly now.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, rabas said:

Wrong.

10% infected means 10% of the people exposed got infected. 10% pregnant means 10% of your girlfriends got pregnant. Your just being silly now.  

Exposed....

...if exposed, your immune system stopped the infection, not the mask.

Why mostly old and unhealthy people died from covid.

Edited by KhunLA

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Exposed....

...if exposed, your immune system stopped the infection, not the mask.

Why mostly old and unhealthy people died from covid.

Again wrong. If exposed...

... to sufficient virus to have a 50% chance of infection, adding a properly fit N95 mask will reduce your chance of infection to 2.5%.

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I think a similar figure applies world over. Over the last few years and before getting vaccinated, I had "flu-like" symptoms on 3 separate occasions. Only once did I bother to test (because I was planning to mix with people) and it was negative - i.e. it really was the flu or a bad cold. The other 2 times? I'll never know or care.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

I think a similar figure applies world over. Over the last few years and before getting vaccinated, I had "flu-like" symptoms on 3 separate occasions. Only once did I bother to test (because I was planning to mix with people) and it was negative - i.e. it really was the flu or a bad cold. The other 2 times? I'll never know or care.

I seem to have an excellent immune system, as prior to covid making the rounds, I rarely got any flu like symptoms, and if so, gone in a day or so.  Unlike the wife & kid, assuming same bug, and seem to suffer the 10-14 day cycle before symptom free.

During covid, surly infected with one strain or another the past 3 yrs.  With one day of runny nose, something I never have, and a symptom of the latest at the time, along with only flu like symptom the past 3 ish yrs.

And not caring or wasting 50 baht for a test to tell me nothing I need to know.  Daughter tested positive, along with many of her friends.  Wife also never bothered getting test, when have a sniffle or 3 over the past few years.

I really have nothing against mask wearer, just don't ask/tell me to wear one.  

Please, stop quoting those pushing & need to meet a profit margin on their bottom line.   Believe what you want, or what you are told by them.   I'll simply go by my past experiences, on how good a far superior vapor mask works or not, and realize, what they are pushing, isn't going to do much when it comes to keeping a virus out of your body.

And I didn't even add how useless they are without proper goggles.  Eyes simply another unprotected entry point.

If going to 'follow the science' then actually 'follow the science'.

Above is all my opinion of course, believe what ever give you that warm & fuzzy feeling.

No, my immune system isn't perfect, as did get Dengue fever years back, I think, unconfirmed.  Man, that knocks you for a loop .... about 2 weeks of 'shoot me now' ????

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

<snip>

Above is all my opinion of course, believe what ever give you that warm & fuzzy feeling.

<Snip>

Yes, your opinion, contradicting science.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I used to wear a vapor mask when cleaning chimneys and when I was done, I'd blow my nose and it will come out anywhere from Gray to Black ... masks don't work.

image.png.71fb040db5719e5678826a235b5f96ba.png

Well... they kind of do...  what would your health be like without such a mask ???

Your example doesn’t really address the ‘mask debate’ with regards to protecting from viruses and misses the point on two fronts: 

1) General Masks acting as a barrier protecting others. 

2) N95 masks ‘reducing’ the probability of exposure to aerosol particles contaminated with a virus. 

I Just got off a flight from Manila to Bangkok (cebu pacific).  On every flight I had going to and traveling around the Philippines masks were required for all passengers to be worn during the whole flight.  The gate staff would ask everybody as they showed their boarding passes if they had a mask to wear, (if not already wearing one).  Masks not required in the airport. 

The announcements on the plane said the Philippines required masks on all public transportation.   That being said....

There were a few people that did not wear the mask over their nose and mouth.  I saw flight attendants look at these people and never did they ask the person to wear their mask.

Also almost nobody on the islands I visited were wearing masks unless they were working.  I assume it was required by their employer,  (maybe a government regulation)

Also almost no one wore masks on busses or Jeepneys, and I spent a lot of time on thoses. 

In short the planes were the only place I was told that masks were required and the only place any significant number of people were wearing them.

Edited by AKJeff
Typing on a bus traveling to Phetchabun. Ignore typos please.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1