People of color and women are underrepresented on state supreme court benches, report finds

onthedarkside

18 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ok, so in US jury selection the selection process helps to make sure that jurors represent a cross section of the community, without regard to race, gender, national origin, age, or political affiliation.

So what does the community of the US consist of?

Black, Latino, Asian American, Native American and multiracial people make up 40% of the US population.

So when you have 18 states, where all state supreme court justices were White, that is clearly not representative of the community.

Jurors are not required to interpret the law. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They are dealing with a public that is not only straight white men. Applying the law isn't an algorithm. Would you not find it strange if the Supreme Court in your state was all Latina lesbians? Would that inspire your confidence in the justice system?

I would be thrilled if every Supreme Court Justice in every state and the federal court was a conservative Latina Lesbian. 

I hate leftist judges. I love conservative judges. I do not care about their race or gender. 

Just like you hate conservative judges, and you love leftist judges. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Jurors are not required to interpret the law. 

Juries follow facts and take guidance from the Judge then make their own decisions on the case to find a defendant guilty or not, what is your point?

IF not elected, then nominated and or appointed and approved by elected members of Congress put their by voting US citizens.

It is what it is, don't like it, pay attention & vote ... next time.

Hopefully there for their qualifications, not their race, religion or gender.

Quick quick quick, (don't Google), name your reps in; district, state & federal legislature ...

.... yea, that's what I thought ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Juries follow facts and take guidance from the Judge then make their own decisions on the case to find a defendant guilty or not, what is your point?

Only that jurors are not required to interpret the law, was that not clear?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Where did I claim they were, is that clear?

You indicated that the racial makeup of supreme courts should match the racial makeup of the country, in much the way that juries supposedly do, correct?

This does not make a lot of sense. First, assuming you do believe in racial quotas, should the quota not be representative of the state? Second, should the quota not be representative of people actually qualified to be a judge? Of the people qualified, how many want to be judges? 

What about states like Alabama that elect judges, should whites and or men be disallowed from running if their quota is already met? 

Why does the race of a judge matter? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You indicated that the racial makeup of supreme courts should match the racial makeup of the country, in much the way that juries supposedly do, correct?

This does not make a lot of sense. First, assuming you do believe in racial quotas, should the quota not be representative of the state? Second, should the quota not be representative of people actually qualified to be a judge? Of the people qualified, how many want to be judges? 

What about states like Alabama that elect judges, should whites and or men be disallowed from running if their quota is already met? 

Why does the race of a judge matter? 

Perhaps you need to read my post again then.

The juries are picked based on representing a cross section of the community. Regardless of race, gender, national origin, age, or political affiliation.

That's plain enough right? Its also the law. So if you believe in this system then the same should also be applied to the judges, that's what the OP study is advocating.

https://www.uscourts.gov/services-forms/jury-service/learn-about-jury-service

"Judicial diversity is key to ensuring the legitimacy and efficacy of our court system. A diverse bench leads to increased public confidence in the courts and richer judicial deliberations. However, many state supreme court benches fail to reflect the diversity of the populations they serve."

Black, Latino, Asian American, Native American and multiracial people make up 40% of the US population.

So surely in those 18 states where it is all white judges there should be some attempt at diversity to reflect what that particular state is.

This is what I am saying, its not like there is a shortage of excellent qualified people from those backgrounds.