American Tourist Rescued from Pattaya Sewer After Being Trapped For Over Seven Hours

webfact

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This does kind of have ‘weed’ written all over it.. as does the ‘look of the guy’ himself... yes, I know, don't judge a book by its cover.... yadda yadda yadda...   realistically, the covers on books are generally a good tell !!!!!... 

really ?  this is not indicative of weed smoking behavior in any way. it shows how uninformed and biased you are on the whole thing. 

i have no visible tattoos. glasses which make me look like a nerd. i dress normally.  went to school and all that. held down professional jobs. started a company. married for 15 years. look like your average handsome man. 

but i'm sure if i walked by you on the street for sure you would know i smoked weed. 

and ill go out on a limb here and say the sewer fellow drinks far more alcohol than he consumes weed. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Pattaya — Pattaya locals and rescuers rescued an unlucky American man who fell and got trapped in a sewer last night, May 16th. The man said he fell into the sewer around noon and wandered down there for hours.

Bit disorientated from puffing ?..................Oooh bet he hums a bit

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

When I first got here in 2006, I got a minor scrape on my ankle from some weed I brushed up against. The ensuing infection was very nasty. They have very different cooties over here, it takes a while for the body to build up natural immunities to them.

same happened to a mate of mine stubbed his toe in walking street, was in hospital for days with blood poisoning

• Sad 1

Glad he was able to get out we don’t know how it happened so no need to guess cause we might guess wrong… 

A short tattoo story… lady interviewed for a job very qualified for the job and ended up as one of the top salespersons in a 300million year company …

I did the initial interview then she had to go to corporate in TX for final interview. I noticed a tattoo on her hand advised her to put make on it for TX interview.. because some people judge without knowing a person. Years later they saw the tattoo but not a word was said…. it’s art so don’t freak out. 

Another guy interviewed for field sales went to Corp. dinner was at a steak house he had salad and vegetables… although qualified and well liked in the industry wouldn’t hire him because he was a vegetarian… 

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Brit bashers are going to be terribly disappointed.... 

At least take him to hospital to get checked out and get some shots... the smallest graze can turn into something horrific when infected in such an environment.

He’d do well to take a course of broad-band antibiotics while he’s at it (as a precaution to what ever nasties he breathed in, touched, grazed himself on etc).

"The victim looked disheveled, disoriented, and extremely weary, rescuers said"

You are completely correct in your suggestions - get the guy IMMEDIATELY to hospital for tests instead of dragging him off to a  police station and keeping him hanging around  while they try to establish his identity - that should come later, but as usual  - TIT! (Current priorities -  does he have the correct visa, and is he on overstay?)

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:
5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

SEVEN hours according to OP from Pattaya News, but only FOUR in this report.

Yep, the usual Thai reporting standards.

And... wondering around...   as if he’s in a cavernous labyrinth of tunnels...

How big are they really ?????   enough to stand up in ?

Just now, sambum said:

"The victim looked disheveled, disoriented, and extremely weary, rescuers said"

You are completely correct in your suggestions - get the guy IMMEDIATELY to hospital for tests instead of dragging him off to a  police station and keeping him hanging around  while they try to establish his identity - that should come later, but as usual  - TIT! (Current priorities -  does he have the correct visa, and is he on overstay?)

Indeed.... the response does seem to be a bit more of the “lets catch an overstayer” mentality than one of “lets help this guy”....

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Glad he was able to get out we don’t know how it happened

From one of the linked articles: According to Jonathan, he was walking back to the condo sometime in the afternoon when he suddenly fell into an uncovered drain into the sewer. However hard he tried, he couldn’t climb out.

I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often. One of the first things you learn here is never to step on any kind of drain cover. In this case it didn't even have one. Not unusual in Safety First Thailand. He's American so maybe he'll sue someone and everyone will deny all responsibility for everything. Also not unusual.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yep, the usual Thai reporting standards.

You'll be having some smart alec saying that the report came from 2 different sources next!

47 minutes ago, a3tsw said:

Middle of the afternoon, falls down a hole , some people should just not be allowed to have in their possession a SMARTPHONE, ????

Have you never had an accident? And the state of some of the pavements and roads - even in the big cities/tourist areas are sometimes a recipe for disaster.

A few years ago I was following a guy on a motor bike, who made a left turn in front of me, and had to stop to avoid being hit by on oncoming rider on the same side of the road. He put his foot down on what should have been the ground, but was an opening into the drainage system, and someone had forgotten to put the "lid" back on! He ended up going head first into the hole, (don't ask how/why - it just happened)  and was very lucky to escape serious injury as his shoulders broke his fall/trapped him. Fortunately, I was right behind him, and with the help of a lady Thai motorcyclist who was on the other side of the road, we hauled him out, virtually unscathed. Very lucky guy! 

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And... wondering around...   as if he’s in a cavernous labyrinth of tunnels...

How big are they really ?????   enough to stand up in ?

I don't know. The ones in London certainly are. And I'm not sure these are sewers anyway. They are drains, large ones as it tends to rain a bit sometimes.

I'm going out on a limb here and say drugs where involved, or at least liquor for sure. Obviously one is a normal state of mind wouldn't wonder around for hours they would have crawled out the way they went in or called out and stayed put at the least. 

• Like 1