Bangkok Bank App Problems

My wife and I have a joint names account with Bangkok Bank (BB)

We had BB App on both our phones that allowed us to view our account and make transactions on our account.

Then a week ago I was denied access to our account thru the App and a message said something like 'only one access per account'. So my wife can still access everything thru the App. but I can't.

Went to an up country BB branch yesterday and they said only 1 person can access the same account thru the App. They said it is for security.

So I can use her phone App to access our joint account but not mine.

All I want is for both of us to have access to our join account via 2 phone Apps.

Anyone else with the same problem or work-around?

• Like 1

I had BBL app on two phones for my account, not a joint account, and recently was required to select a single phone number to use for access. This the same as my other bank have been for a long time. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Seems the solution is have separate accounts

We have 4 accounts already for Pattaya house, electricity, visa and joint account.

Seems they don't want you to have a joint account.

I want a joint account but really don't want to have to change banks.

What security threat is a joint account?

Maybe the App can only have one telephone number to one account?

It's not clear to me.

Can only tell that this change was announced by Bangkok Bank some time ago.

I am not affected so can't help.

Nothing to do with "don't like joint accounts".

Now waiting that I have to show my unshaved morning grimace to do business :biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1

Workaround?

At least login through the website should still work?

(for me it does but no joint account, try it!)

A bit inconvenient on the mobile but zoom in and you know the money is still there, transcations taken place etc.

To do "new" transactions there will of course be OTP sent to the one and only phone number.

I am waiting that they finally introduce an alternative two factor authorization without relying on SMS/Thai telephone number. Antiquated.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

The restrictions on Joint accounts came in quite some time ago. Our joint account with Krungsri became virtually useless because of the very limited on line services that were available.

I think that it's no coincidence that these restrictions came into force toward the beginning for the Covid pandemic, when people were being locked out of the country for long periods.

Husband in one country and wife in another. You get my drift?

We binned ours altogether and I arranged that my wife can access my account in emergency.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am waiting that they finally introduce an alternative two factor authorization without relying on SMS/Thai telephone number. Antiquated.

Two factor authorization is already built in to banking apps. That's why they are regarded as more secure than computer based on line services.

If I do a transfer on line, I have to await the OTP via an SMS, but not when I do it using the app.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's an odd interpretation, that does not "seem to be the case" at all.  Nowhere is there any suggestion that BBL doesn't want joint accounts.

So you can have a joint account but can't both access it from different phones via their app.

So they don't want joint accounts. 

Anyway, that was my logic.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, carlyai said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's an odd interpretation, that does not "seem to be the case" at all.  Nowhere is there any suggestion that BBL doesn't want joint accounts.

So you can have a joint account but can't both access it from different phones via their app.

So they don't want joint accounts. 

Anyway, that was my logic.

That's right.  You read it how you want to but, logically, though, it does not mean that BBL does not want joint accounts.

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's right.  You read it how you want to but, logically, though, it does not mean that BBL does not want joint accounts.

If their policy change negatively affects joint accounts, and they don’t care, then what are we to think?  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Everyman said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If their policy change negatively affects joint accounts, and they don’t care, then what are we to think?  

"...what are we to think?" 

How about thinking that the bank's explanation that it is related to security is actually a good thing?   To assume that they do not want joint accounts does not make any sense, why would the bank frown on joint accounts?

Caught me and Mrs. out too.   Cant get over some of the cavalier answers here.  And no, this isn't for "our" security.  This is for the banks, and their bottom line liability.  Nothing to do with 'us'.  If it was, banks would have instituted trusted device protocols so households using one account (married, families, etc) could register and carry on.  Shutting Apps down to one device so arbitrarily, and then seemingly ignoring the obvious fall out for customers under the "it's for your own good" mantra, is utter BS. 

Edited by 55Jay
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

Caught me and Mrs. out too.   Cant get over some of the cavalier answers here.  And no, this isn't for "our" security.  This is for the banks, and their bottom line liability.  Nothing to do with 'us'.  If it was, banks would have instituted trusted device protocols so households using one account (married, families, etc) could register and carry on.  Shutting Apps down to one device so arbitrarily, and then seemingly ignoring the obvious fall out for customers under the "it's for your own good" mantra, is utter BS. 

Yeah, get a good answer and crapeee.

We have to go out of our way to use Bangkok Bank, so going to give them up and use a closer bank. 

Will just open 2 accounts, one for wife and one for me and transfer between them. 

Also take out the B800000 and transfer it to the new bank plus our electricity and Pattaya house accounts.

They probable won't care but they won't have a free 800000 any more plus the rent from the Pattaya house.

13 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Yeah, get a good answer and crapeee.

We have to go out of our way to use Bangkok Bank, so going to give them up and use a closer bank. 

Will just open 2 accounts, one for wife and one for me and transfer between them. 

Also take out the B800000 and transfer it to the new bank plus our electricity and Pattaya house accounts.

They probable won't care but they won't have a free 800000 any more plus the rent from the Pattaya house.

I certainly don't argue with (sensible) security measures, and this isn't specific to Bangkok Bank. 

BoT has rolled out a few security mandates for Thai banks to comply with, so voting with your feet and wallet may not get the desired reaction from the bank.

Facial recognition is another measure rolling out (for transfers over 50k), there's a thread on that running here as well.  I don't like that either but I see the value in it, so OK, Roger Wilco.

Therein lies the point, though.  Thai banks can implement facial recognition requirements and update Apps accordingly, so SURELY the same bright sparks can work out how to 2F Authorize and register more than one device for a bank account - especially joint accounts, husbands/wives, etc.   Never mind that it was already the case before April/May this year, and suddenly it's not?  There's a section for it on Bangkok Bank's App - Manage Devices.  So use it.   My US banks and brokerage manage it with different computers/browsers.  Google, Skype, Microsoft..... this isn't unknown, mysterious territory.

Feels like shutting it down the way they have is the dumb, lazy way out.  Won't change unless Thais complain a lot on Facebook, but apparently nobody's bothered.  For us, it's a real PITA and alters how we do things day to day for not a very good reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

@carlyai @Everyman @Moonlover and for anyone else who sees/agrees with the point here, FWIW, I sent an email to BKK Bank mobile banking division yesterday - same group that weighs in on customer App complaints/comments on Google Play Store. 

Not a bitchy moaning email, rather, asked them directly and succinctly what their suggestion is for married people, families, joint accounts, etc, who, until April this year, were able to operate independently of each other day to day pulling from the same source bank account(s) via the App - transfers, top ups, QR payments, etc.

After being conditioned to that convenience and independence, this latest security move is a significant, and seemingly careless, insular step backward.  Moreover, when a reasonable alternative that preserves the underlying intent of the security directive, appears to be quite feasible - register and manage authorized devices, like Netflix, cell phone service providers, and a host of other subscription and/or controlled access Apps and websites do.  Again, there's already a sub-section on BKK Bank's App for it. After this kicked off, I used it to clean up stray devices on my account - old phones, tablets, etc. 

I'm not a computer nerd by any means, so I'm happy to be corrected by anyone who is.  However this feels completely doable, but likely requires a dull uproar from the customer base to get attention, and potential action. 

Wife is drafting a summary and will chuck it at Bangkok Bank/BoT, et al, on Thai language social media to (possibly) get some traction among others who've been handicapped by this move, but feel they're in a minority without recourse.

Will update here if anything comes of it.  If anyone here agrees and would like to weigh in themselves and/or their Thai spouse/partner, on whatever social media platform(s) the wife leverages, let me know and I'll post a link here or via PM. 

Edited by 55Jay

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

@carlyai @Everyman @Moonlover and for anyone else who sees/agrees with the point here, FWIW, I sent an email to BKK Bank mobile banking division yesterday - same group that weighs in on customer App complaints/comments on Google Play Store. 

Not a bitchy moaning email, rather, asked them directly and succinctly what their suggestion is for married people, families, joint accounts, etc, who, until April this year, were able to operate independently of each other day to day pulling from the same source bank account(s) via the App - transfers, top ups, QR payments, etc.

After being conditioned to that convenience and independence, this latest security move is a significant, and seemingly careless, insular step backward.  Moreover, when a reasonable alternative that preserves the underlying intent of the security directive, appears to be quite feasible - register and manage authorized devices, like Netflix, cell phone service providers, and a host of other subscription and/or controlled access Apps and websites do.  Again, there's already a sub-section on BKK Bank's App for it. After this kicked off, I used it to clean up stray devices on my account - old phones, tablets, etc. 

I'm not a computer nerd by any means, so I'm happy to be corrected by anyone who is.  However this feels completely doable, but likely requires a dull uproar from the customer base to get attention, and potential action. 

Wife is drafting a summary and will chuck it at Bangkok Bank/BoT, et al, on Thai language social media to (possibly) get some traction among others who've been handicapped by this move, but feel they're in a minority without recourse.

Will update here if anything comes of it.  If anyone here agrees and would like to weigh in themselves and/or their Thai spouse/partner, on whatever social media platform(s) the wife leverages, let me know and I'll post a link here or via PM. 

Yes I agree, but I'll take my B1000000 they freely use with little interest to a different bank.

We used to have an ATM as there is no branch near me. Nearest BKk branch is 60 km away.

The ATM was installed so it gets the full sun most of the day and it was continually breaking down, so instead of fixing the problem they removed the ATM.

20 minutes ago, kiteman9 said:

Can't you just log on with your computer? I think the banks know that cell phones can be lost, stolen, or hacked. Making them less secure than a home PC.

Incorrect. The smartphone apps are far more secure as they are built on bespoke security technologies whereas the PC/laptop versions are built on systems and software that have been easily hacked for decades. My UK offshore banks have hived most functionality away from the PC/laptop and onto the phone app. Some features previously available on PC/laptop no longer exist after they were migrated to the phone app.

Yes, phones can be lost or stolen but the owner can quickly "look" for it or disable it via the o/s.

59 minutes ago, kiteman9 said:

Can't you just log on with your computer? I think the banks know that cell phones can be lost, stolen, or hacked. Making them less secure than a home PC.

Yes, of course!  That's not the point.  Specifically, the point of an App. 

You'll recall before Apps, lost/stolen/hacked bank account login data was the flavor of the month.  It's still on the menu, and yet, they haven't done away with internet banking, or limited computers to 1 per person. 

There's a sensible middle ground here.  Existing protocol to regulate Apps, IMIE, trusted devices/browsers.  As far as I know, there was no ceiling on the App before, at least not above 2 installs in our case, so clearly Bangkok Bank, et al, have the capability and discretion to register and manage it; BoT directives not withstanding.  Wouldn't be the first time here, or elsewhere, that policy without a sanity check got dumped on the public, only to roll back and possibly vanish once a bunch of Thais complained on TikTok.

Feel like this isn't a big ask.  If a decision maker sees the middle ground and tells the App geeks down in the basement to make it happen, it will.  Quickly.  The guy who came up with the 1 and yer done App policy could wind up transferred to a satellite office in rural Bully-Lam. ????