UK inflation falls sharply to 8.7% in April

16 hours ago, bignok said:

19.1% food rise.

8.7% is manipulated and way too high. 

From the landing page of the World News Forum

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

There must be a fiction forum out there somewhere that would be better suited to your kind of comment.

52 minutes ago, placeholder said:

From the landing page of the World News Forum

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

There must be a fiction forum out there somewhere that would be better suited to your kind of comment.

Opinions are allowed. Up to you if you believe these fantasy figures. Go study economics.

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Do you understand that the information you linked to says that inflation is actually worse for lower income people with than what it is according to the CPI? And there's nothing there at all to back up your transparently unfounded assertion that "8.7% is manipulated and way too high."

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Do you understand that the information you linked to says that inflation is actually worse for lower income people with than what it is according to the CPI? And there's nothing there at all to back up your transparently unfounded assertion that "8.7% is manipulated and way too high."

Why are you misquoting me?

8.7% is way too high. It should be 3% in a proper managed economy. The real figure imo is over 12% atm.

The OP claimed inflation dropped sharply yet states food went up 19.1%!

These official inflation figures are a good laugh only.

The UK only recently dropped non chart cds from their basket. What a laugh. Most people I know havent bought cds for 10 years.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, bignok said:

8.7% is way too high. It should be 3% in a proper managed economy. The real figure imo is over 12% atm.

The UK only recently dropped non chart cds from their basket. What a laugh. Most people I know havent bought cds for 10 years.

BoE target inflation rate is 2% so, yes, the current inflation rate is way too high.

Unless you collect, collate and analyse every transaction made, you will never get the actual inflation rate, only estimates.

The UK figures for inflation are based on a basket of goods. The items in the basket are continually updated. The current list can be found in 2023 Excel sheet on this page

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/datasets/consumerpriceinflationbasketofgoodsandservices

The basket of goods almost certainly isn't a perfect reflection of consumer behaviour, and the resulting overall rate will therefore be flawed, however, the methodology is clear and imo it gives a reasonable estimate.

Imo this is a much better, and more credible, approach then just plucking a figure out of thin air.

5 hours ago, RayC said:

BoE target inflation rate is 2% so, yes, the current inflation rate is way too high.

Unless you collect, collate and analyse every transaction made, you will never get the actual inflation rate, only estimates.

The UK figures for inflation are based on a basket of goods. The items in the basket are continually updated. The current list can be found in 2023 Excel sheet on this page

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/datasets/consumerpriceinflationbasketofgoodsandservices

The basket of goods almost certainly isn't a perfect reflection of consumer behaviour, and the resulting overall rate will therefore be flawed, however, the methodology is clear and imo it gives a reasonable estimate.

Imo this is a much better, and more credible, approach then just plucking a figure out of thin air.

Not credible if counting cd sales. I don't know anyone who trusts the cpi data.

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How many of them have stopped buying C.Ds in the last ten years ?

Also, what is the relevance of that to the U.K;'s inflation figures ?

CDs were in the basket of goods. A product hardly anyone buys anymore meaning downward pressure on prices. An example of how flawed the figures are.

21 minutes ago, bignok said:

CDs were in the basket of goods. A product hardly anyone buys anymore meaning downward pressure on prices. An example of how flawed the figures are.

The price of the C.D was what mattered , how much it costs in shops . Any price increase is counted as inflation 

How man they sold doesn't effect the figures of how much they cost to buy 

14 hours ago, bignok said:

Where have I misquoted you? Do you understand what "misquoted means"

Here's what you originally wrote:

"19.1% food rise.

8.7% is manipulated and way too high."

You claimed that the CP of 8.7% is way too high. Now you're claiming that it's way too low. Make up your mind. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, bignok said:

What you're leaving out is how much CD's counted towards calculating CPI. Without that figure, all you're doing is playing gotcha. Periodically, outdated items are ejected from the basket and new one introduced to reflect how consumers shop.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, placeholder said:

What you're leaving out is how much CD's counted towards calculating CPI. Without that figure, all you're doing is playing gotcha. Periodically, outdated items are ejected from the basket and new one introduced to reflect how consumers shop.

Outdated by many years.

7 hours ago, placeholder said:

Where have I misquoted you? Do you understand what "misquoted means"

Here's what you originally wrote:

"19.1% food rise.

8.7% is manipulated and way too high."

You claimed that the CP of 8.7% is way too high. Now you're claiming that it's way too low. Make up your mind. 

8.7% is way too high. Ask any economist if you don't know.

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The price of the C.D was what mattered , how much it costs in shops . Any price increase is counted as inflation 

How man they sold doesn't effect the figures of how much they cost to buy 

Non regular item now for years. I could pick 100 items in their list apart but couldnt be bothered.