Move Forward opposes any plan to allow a US base in Thailand and commits to uphold its sovereignty

webfact

6 hours ago, swm59nj said:

And the next move should be to get rid of the low life expats that can’t  or barely support themselves and attempt to live off Thailand. 

Yes they do exist. Just one example:

- I've lived/worked here in the LOS for 35+ years. 27 years s a permanent resident of the LOS.

- About 5 times I've had unsolicited visits/phone calls from guys and one girl - 'You don't know me but I need a recommendation letter to get a job xxxxx xxxxx. Can I wait now?'

On every occasion i've made xcuses to put a delay into the situation. On several occasions i've eventually had calls complaining that 'your not a nice person, you don't coooperate, you don't support other farang, why?'

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Yes they do exist. Just one example:

- I've lived/worked here in the LOS for 35+ years. 27 years s a permanent resident of the LOS.

- About 5 times I've had unsolicited visits/phone calls from guys and one girl - 'You don't know me but I need a recommendation letter to get a job xxxxx xxxxx. Can I wait now?'

On every occasion i've made xcuses to put a delay into the situation. On several occasions i've eventually had calls complaining that 'your not a nice person, you don't coooperate, you don't support other farang, why?'

Once every five and a half years someone asks you for some help and your response is to whinge and bitch about it. Champion.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, maxx58 said:

It's called being pragmatic.

Ukrainians were also being "pragmatic"... And after the pragmatism exploded in their face they realized that there's no more middle grounds. When the Moldovans realized it (a few moments after the UA did) they briefly shat their pants. Fastest way to get invaded is to stay neutral. 

• Like 1

I think "Clockwise's" post answered this issue correctly.

That said, with regard to US bases around the world, consider this:

https://militarybases.com/overseas/

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/philippines-reveals-locations-4-new-strategic-sites-us-military-pact-2023-04-03/

https://www.state.gov/u-s-security-cooperation-with-singapore/

So, the USA really needs a base in Thailand?

RJLee

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2023 at 6:30 AM, herfiehandbag said:

Can't imagine why the Americans would want a Naval base in Thailand - the Gulf of Thailand is shallow and any base would be easily bottled up. The whole point of their massive aircraft carrier fleet is to remove the need for vulnerable land airbases.

Logistics

1 hour ago, 10baht said:

Logistics

Which would mean shipping the materials in through narrow shallow (easily closed) sea lanes. Storing it in a base vulnerable to air or more likely cruise missile attack, then either bringing your fleet in through those narrow, shallow sea lanes or shipping the stuff out on replenishment ships. Of course it would have to be guarded and protected ( ground forces and especially air forces). In short order there would be a major US military presence here.

Now whatever the views of the (potentially) incoming government vis-a-vis China, becoming the location of what will inevitably be a major US military presence is unlikely to benefit Thailand.

• Like 1

I disagree with most of the comments. US didn’t sell Thailand F-35 jets mainly because the Thai government has been getting closer to China.  
This is like running out of ammo and taking off a bullet proof vest and attacking the enemy with a knife. 
suicide. 

11 hours ago, Aviatorhi said:

Ukrainians were also being "pragmatic"... And after the pragmatism exploded in their face they realized that there's no more middle grounds. When the Moldovans realized it (a few moments after the UA did) they briefly shat their pants. Fastest way to get invaded is to stay neutral. 

Ukraine would still be existing today if it had stayed neutral. Hopefully other currently neutral countries would learn from this disastrous mistake.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Can this possibly be true? 

I just read on MSN where Thailand has the 24th topped ranked military in the world. It was stated that the reason for such a high ranking is that there's 36 million people in the Thai military.

That was hard for me to believe so I Googled the population for Thailand and Google shows 70 million people.

I hardly doubt that half of Thailand's population is currently in the military. Or is Google's reported population incorrect?

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2023 at 6:46 PM, zzaa09 said:

The right call.

We don't need foreign military facilities here - especially American.

If the right call - Then don't buy foreign weapons, air/naval/ground offensive/defensive systems, don't participate with foreign military in deployment exercises.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/27/2023 at 8:21 AM, bkk6060 said:

Ha, yes sure until some conflict starts then they will beg the U.S. and others to help them.

What? Like their banner waving reading, in English, 'please help us' during the 2010 red shirt rallies and nobody came?

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Better than to be a member of warmongers by far????

What price are YOU willing to pay for freedom, because freedom is never free?

It is usually paid for with other peoples blood, sweat and tears.

I think he pentagon leases space at Utapao from a contractor, so technically this allows both the US and Thailand to state that there are no US military bases in the country.

Then there is JUSMAGTHAI, which has been here since 1953. I think the US considers it an overseas military base of some description.

Others with more detailed or correct info, please comment.

On 5/27/2023 at 5:46 AM, zzaa09 said:

The right call.

We don't need foreign military facilities here - especially American.

We 

I take it you are ???????? Thai then.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, michaellee said:

Don’t blame it on China. America are a world bully and war monger period!

So Russia is a peace loving country then, and rape and mass murder is acceptable. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1