Move Forward opposes any plan to allow a US base in Thailand and commits to uphold its sovereignty

webfact

21 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Ukraine would still be existing today if it had stayed neutral. Hopefully other currently neutral countries would learn from this disastrous mistake.

Define 'existing'.....in your world sovereign free countries are not allowed to exist and make their own decisions? Someone to the East certainly did not want Ukraine to be neutral..... Crimea proved that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Fake news or not, the fact is Thailand now dances to Beijing's tune. The USA has much to do to counteract the worldwide Chinese takeover. If I were Thai, which I am not, I would welcome an increased US presence here.

If I were Thai, which I’m not, I would not want any foreign military presence here, US or otherwise. There is no need as I don’t believe China or India or Russia would ever want to invade and occupy Thailand. I would argue that any US military presence actually increases the risks for Thailand.

I hope the Thais are intelligent enough to see that. Tough though, when leaders are corrupt and bought.

Edited by Gweiloman

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Define 'existing'.....in your world sovereign free countries are not allowed to exist and make their own decisions? Someone to the East certainly did not want Ukraine to be neutral..... Crimea proved that. 

Existing to me would mean a country with functioning infrastructure (roads, buildings), people going about their normal business conducting trade and commerce, children going to school etc.

As to sovereign free countries making their own decisions, very few left in the world. Germany was not free to be allowed to have a gas pipeline with Russia, the Netherlands was not free to sell its high tech machines to whoever they want, Japan and Korea were not free to sell their chips as they like, the UK was not free to install its choice of vendor for its 5G network… I could go on but I doubt you will accept these points…

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Proof?

"In 2002, Haspel was in charge of a secret “black site” prison in Thailand where detainees were subject to abusive interrogation techniques. In a 6,700-page classified report on the CIA’s interrogation programs, the Senate Intelligence Committee documented among other things what agency contractors and personnel did at the site to Abu Zubaydah..." (she became head of the CIA, fwiw). https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/03/gina-haspel-black-site-torture-cia/555539/

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

"In 2002, Haspel was in charge of a secret “black site” prison in Thailand where detainees were subject to abusive interrogation techniques. In a 6,700-page classified report on the CIA’s interrogation programs, the Senate Intelligence Committee documented among other things what agency contractors and personnel did at the site to Abu Zubaydah..." (she became head of the CIA, fwiw). https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/03/gina-haspel-black-site-torture-cia/555539/

That is proof of what happened back in 2002.

Do you have anything newer?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/27/2023 at 8:22 AM, JimTripper said:

Land bases are not very vulnerable if they are in a neutral or semi-friendly territory. It would be ships at sea that were vulnerable.

That rules out Loas, Cambodia and Burma most likely. Vietnam most likely ruled out as a military base as well.

Cam Ranh US Air Force Base is located on Cam Ranh Bay in Khánh Hòa Province, Vietnam.

....you seems to know the matter????????????

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It's the US that 'make' us buy weapons from them.

Thailand buys from whoever offers advanced weapon systems.

How exactly does US make Thailand buy weapons from them?

Frankly, the problem for Thailand is that it's weapons inventory is a "Mish Mash" of foreign weapons (Soviet, Chinese, NATO, EU, etc.) that has to make maintenance a nightmare, not to mention having competent military to do maintenance.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Fake news or not, the fact is Thailand now dances to Beijing's tune. The USA has much to do to counteract the worldwide Chinese takeover. If I were Thai, which I am not, I would welcome an increased US presence here.

Taking over by being the biggest customer of Thailand and building infrastructure, we must counteract that by placing army and military from USA here. Maybe we can open the torture center again so US can torture people here?

38 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Frankly, the problem for Thailand is that it's weapons inventory is a "Mish Mash" of foreign weapons (Soviet, Chinese, NATO, EU, etc.) that has to make maintenance a nightmare, not to mention having competent military to do maintenance.  

USA is known to pressure countries to buy their weapons and not from the enemy. But as you said, it does not seem Thailand care much.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

That is proof of what happened back in 2002.

Do you have anything newer?

To torture people, some proofed innocent is as bad as it can be. And the previous US president was very much for torture.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 12:35 PM, Srikcir said:

Simple solution to "maintenance nightmare": do as they do in other areas, like lifts, etc:

Don't perform maintenance.... just run (or fly) into the ground and buy some new ones. Kickbacks an added bonus! ????

On 5/27/2023 at 3:51 AM, newbee2022 said:

And when was THAT? And what was result of that HELP ??

Umm, hate to be so bluntly obvious, Ukraine, the Yugoslav war in the in the 1990's to prevent wholesale genocide. That's often enough since WWII. 

On 5/27/2023 at 3:49 AM, webfact said:

Rangsiman Rome, has firmly denied that the party supports allowing the United States to establish a military base in Thailand.

The right call!!

It is a good Idea not  to choose sides until one sees who will prevail. And perhaps not even then because fortunes change, 

Perhaps Mr Rome got his inspiration from the song by the B52s " Rome if you want to" :tongue: which starts with

" I hear a wind,Whistling air,Whispering in my ear"

ok, ok. its " Roam if you want to" but if we are going to use facts to confuse the issue...

Anyway , True story,

I just went to website to get the lyrics to the song.

and before I could do that ,I was confronted by a robot who wanted to know if I was human and not another robot. !!

Boy these   robots sure don't like each other!

But i digress.:smile:

Edited by sirineou

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The right call!!

It is a good Idea not  to choose sides until one sees who will prevail. And perhaps not even then because fortunes change, 

Fake news. The US does not, and never did want bases in Thailand. This is just the Thai Democratic Parties alter ego; 'the yellows' trying to remain relevant after they went down to another disastrous defeat in the recent election.  What better way than spreading conspiracy theories about the MFP, like they used to do to the Reds. After all yellow is close to green. And they have been used as enablers of gang green in the past.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

The US has more than 750 bases worldwide, OUTSIDE of the US. They have 5 in the PH and are now having 4 more.

Anyone who thinks that they (the US) don’t want a base or more in Thailand is only trying to fool others.

Translation, you have no evidence the US has asked for a base in Thailand.

Edited by Pink Mist
quoted post removed

A reported off-topic post, and more off-topic replies moving the OP off topic have been removed.  Please discuss the OP as it is written.  Any more off-topic posts abut other countries etc... will be removed without a moderation comment.

On 5/27/2023 at 12:50 PM, Taboo2 said:

Historically, if we wanted a base here, we would have set one up for our ships after WW2.  No need for shipyard bases, we will use the airfields when necessary.

To install and prop up puppet regimes like those in Vietnam and Cambodia and to bomb innocent civilians as you did in the Secret War in Laos and Cambodia, which ultimately caused a genocide? ????