has anyone done a visa exempt/tourist visa combo recently?

If I have both a valid tourist visa and am eligible for a visa-exempt entry, can I use the visa-exempt entry first, then, once my visa-exempt entry period expires, can I then use my tourist visa to stay in Thailand for a longer up to 60 day duration? THis used to be common practice but I don't know if it is done anymore..

• Confused 3

No. 

You would need to exit Thailand and reenter with the tourist visa.

Is this an eVisa?

Suggest best to enter Thailand with the tourist visa and then obtain visa entry with a border bounce.

You stated that ...,

"THis used to be common practice but I don't know if it is done anymore.." 

When was it common practice.

Is your tourist visa in passport or eVisa email? 

How long do you wish to visit Thailand? 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

How about if your tourist visa validity doesn't start until after your visa exempt entry. 

THe advantage would be, you could stay in the Kingdom for a short period without losing your tourist visa and activate it when you re-enter. getting a full 60 days.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, kwilco said:

How about if your tourist visa validity doesn't start until after your visa exempt entry.

So just be clear.

You do not have tourist visa in pp.

You do not have an eVisa.

Your plan is to enter Thailand visa exempt and subsequently apply for an eVisa? 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

No. 

You would need to exit Thailand and reenter with the tourist visa.

Is this an eVisa?

Suggest best to enter Thailand with the tourist visa and then obtain visa entry with a border bounce.

You stated that ...,

"THis used to be common practice but I don't know if it is done anymore.." 

When was it common practice.

Is your tourist visa in passport or eVisa email? 

How long do you wish to visit Thailand? 

About 15/20 years ago - so no e-visas

the point being you would present at immigration with a tourist visa in your passport and explain you were only staying for. few days and wanted "visa exempt" entry as you would be returning within the validity period to use your tourist visa for the full period (60 days)

I see, are you thinking that if it is an e-visa, it wouldn't be in my passport so I could just get a visa exempt stamp?

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So just be clear.

You do not have tourist visa in pp.

You do not have an eVisa.

Your plan is to enter Thailand visa exempt and subsequently apply for an eVisa? 

No - the question I'm asking is will they let you in on a visa exempt if you have a tourist visa in your passport.

I suppose you could go out side and apply in Laos or somewhere.

But if they let you in visa exempt, you could stay for just 3 das (example) and then re-enter a week or so later and start your 60 days on a tourist visa.

If you use your tourist visa on the first entry, you lose it after 3 days and either have to get another or limit your stay to 30 days visa exempt.

Edited by kwilco
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I see, are you thinking that if it is an e-visa, it wouldn't be in my passport so I could just get a visa exempt stamp

You would be given 30 day visa exempt stamp.

The to use tourist visa you would need to exit Thailand and reenter.

This has been discussed in several threads if by having an eVisa that would be possible. 

Possible loophole but what's the point. 

As I posted earlier enter Thailand with tourist visa.

Obtain extension if you want.

Do border bounce to obtain visa exempt emtry

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

But if they let you in visa exempt, you could stay for just 3 das (example) and then re-enter a week or so later and start your 60 days on a tourist visa.

If you use your tourist visa on the first entry, you lose it after 3 days and either have to get another or limit your stay to 30 days visa exempt

Finding your plan bit ridiculous.

If you want to enter and exit after 3 days then use the tourist visa and on departure buy a 1000b reentry permit at airport.

I posted earlier asking how long do you want to stay in Thailand.

That answer leads to best advice.

Perhaps a METV may be better option if you wish to travel S.E.A

Edited by DrJack54

This has been discussed in several threads if by having an eVisa that would be possible. 

that's what I was asking.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

convenience of 60 days clear on a tourist visa

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

THat's as near to an answer as I can get which is wh=y I asked if anyone had experience of this.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

THat's as near to an answer as I can get which is wh=y I asked if anyone had experience of this.

There has been reports of for example returning to Thailand with short period remaining on re-entry permit and asking io to stamp them in visa exempt 

30 day stamp.

And io providing that. 

Very different than your plan which I find ridiculous. 

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There has been reports of for example returning to Thailand with short period remaining on re-entry permit and asking io to stamp them in visa exempt 

30 day stamp.

And io providing that. 

Very different than your plan which I find ridiculous. 

So after all your prevarication and bluster, you now think it;s ridiculous - but I'll bet you can't demonstrate why.

At least some others had a clue.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/27/2023 at 9:31 PM, kwilco said:

If you use your tourist visa on the first entry, you lose it after 3 days and either have to get another or limit your stay to 30 days visa exempt.

If your theoretical person got a re-entry permit, wouldn't that preserve the Tourist Visa (or what's left at time of re-entry of the 60 days)?

Other than that, have to agree that the OP's theoretical plans seem silly.

Edited by CMBob
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/28/2023 at 12:24 AM, kwilco said:

So after all your prevarication and bluster, you now think it;s ridiculous - but I'll bet you can't demonstrate why.

At least some others had a clue.

He just demonstrated it for you. When you leave after 3 days or whatever, you'll ask for a reentry permit. It costs 1000 baht. Then your issue is no longer an issue.

I totally agree with others, your plan seems silly, most of all because, as Brit Tim explains, some immigration officers won't do what you ask, because they then may seem to "miss" your tourist visa sticker.

Listen to both, and be sensible. A reentry permit is easy to get, and cheap.

And btw, you are getting solid advice and answers here. Treat them as such.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Thanks 1

The IO, will put your passport details into the computer see you have a visa and that's what he will use to give you entry. Don't try to be a clever Dick. Visas start from day of issue even for clever Dicks 

14 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

The IO, will put your passport details into the computer see you have a visa and that's what he will use to give you entry. Don't try to be a clever Dick. Visas start from day of issue even for clever Dicks 

I asked a perfectly reasonable question about others recently experience.

As said this was often done a few years ago.

I think there are some pretty dim decks who haven't even understood the question or answered it.

I think it is likely that what you say might happen which is why I asked the question .

I there is anyone who has personal experience of this, I would like to know.

All I'm getting is assumption and vitriol from people who have never tried it.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

I think there are some pretty dim decks who haven't even understood the question or answered it

Possibly because it's ridiculous.

If it was possible to enter visa exempt with a valid SETV in passport then that would be extremely popular. 

You state.....

"As said this was often done a few years ago"

I have never heard of it.

What can occur for example is if someone had reentry permit with only few days remaining that person could ask the io to overlook the valid few days and stamp in visa exempt 30 days.

Even that would not be a given

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I asked a perfectly reasonable question about others recently experience.

As said this was often done a few years ago.

I think there are some pretty dim decks who haven't even understood the question or answered it.

I think it is likely that what you say might happen which is why I asked the question .

I there is anyone who has personal experience of this, I would like to know.

All I'm getting is assumption and vitriol from people who have never tried it.

Why are you coming on here and being confrontational. The people giving you advice @DrJack54and @BritTimare both knowledgeable people. I have my moments as well when I can be bothered and yes your plan is naive and nonsense.

• Thanks 1

I have never heard of it.

I have. It used to come up quite often in this forum. The rule of thumb was that you could ask the IO to stamp your in visa exempt instead of using the TR but YMMV as the Americans say.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Why are you coming on here and being confrontational. The people giving you advice @DrJack54and @BritTimare both knowledgeable people. I have my moments as well when I can be bothered and yes your plan is naive and nonsense.

How is this "confrontational"?

"has anyone done a visa exempt/tourist visa combo recently?"

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I have. It used to come up quite often in this forum. The rule of thumb was that you could ask the IO to stamp your in visa exempt instead of using the TR but YMMV as the Americans say.

thanks - a sensible response.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I have. It used to come up quite often in this forum.

When? 

So your suggesting that someone with a SETV in their passport upon presenting at io counter says words to the effect of...

" Hey bud just ignore that Tourist visa and just wack a visa exempt entry stamp 30 days in my pp"...

You also state "comes up quite often."

Care to fish out a relevant post. 

• Thanks 1