has anyone done a visa exempt/tourist visa combo recently?

Just now, DrJack54 said:

When? 

So your suggesting that someone with a SETV in their passport upon presenting at io counter says words to the effect of...

" Hey bud just ignore that Tourist visa and just wack a visa exempt entry stamp 30 days in my pp"...

You also state "comes up quite often."

Care to fish out a relevant post. 

"used to come up quite often" not "comes up". OP's question is the first I've seen post-Covid. The gist of the posts were yes, you could ask exactly what you said, or words to that effect. Results varied.

No, I don't have any links and won't be searching for any because I'm off out for a night on the town LOL.

Not sure if can be done now but used to be quite common and also done by mistake.

Remember the TM.6 arrival cards?

The immigration officer didnt look through the passport and you didnt have to say anything to them.

It all worked on the details that were entered on the TM6 arrival card, the immigration officer worked from that .

If there was no visa number entered in the TM6 the IO would issue a 30 day visa exempt. If  theres a visa number on the TM6, then and only then,  the officer would search through the passport to find it and process the length of stay as required by the visa.

If you wanted to save the visa for later you left the visa number off the TM6.

The mistakes happened when people had a tourist visa but didnt enter the visa number on the TM6 and found out they were stamped in for 30 days instead of the expected 60 days.

34 minutes ago, Nonmop said:

Not sure if can be done now but used to be quite common and also done by mistake.

You are posting about io making a mistake.

That's different from what OP was asking about.

Also the thread (2014) you also posted about concerns mistakes made by IO.

There currently are no tm6 forms submitted at airport arrivals. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

How is this "confrontational"?

"has anyone done a visa exempt/tourist visa combo recently?"

No , to your question because it doesn’t make sense. 
A normal person will enter on their tourist visa , stay 60 days, just before the 60 days are up, go to immigration and get a 30 day extension. 60 +30 =90 days in Thailand. 
If any one wants to stay after this 90 days, they leave the country and either,  apply for another 60 day TV ( in Cambodia / Laos/ Malaysia/ Vietnam  for example) and return to Thailand for another round of 60 days plus 30. I’ve done this for many years.  It’s legal. 
No one can bend the rules to suit their ideas, today also, everything is on computer the moment you enter Thailand. 
i suggest you try your idea out if you don’t want to listen to solid advice. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 4 months later...

It's actually a very good question by the thread starter swamped by a bunch of idiots who have nothing to say.

One more scenario, real story: a Russian citizen got a tourist visa, but then they announced 90 days for Russian visa-exempt starting in November. So she's now wondering what to do about the visa as, obviously, going through 60+30 hassle would be ridiculous when you can get 90 days right away.

Update: some non very bright individuals claimed that immigration officers will see your visa in the system which is utter bull - when you have a visa in your passport, it's essential to tell the officer about it, otherwise you might end up with a visa-exempt stamp. Me and my relatives have been stamped in wrong numerous times, even giving them the passport open at the visa page fails quite often.

Edited by samuidweller
Visa info in the imm system
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 4:54 PM, geisha said:

No , to your question because it doesn’t make sense. 
A normal person will enter on their tourist visa , stay 60 days, just before the 60 days are up, go to immigration and get a 30 day extension. 60 +30 =90 days in Thailand. 
If any one wants to stay after this 90 days, they leave the country and either,  apply for another 60 day TV ( in Cambodia / Laos/ Malaysia/ Vietnam  for example) and return to Thailand for another round of 60 days plus 30. I’ve done this for many years.  It’s legal. 
No one can bend the rules to suit their ideas, today also, everything is on computer the moment you enter Thailand. 
i suggest you try your idea out if you don’t want to listen to solid advice. 

I can enter Thailand on a visa-less stamp for 10 days - leave the country and then come back and stay up to 60 days.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I can enter Thailand on a visa-less stamp for 10 days - leave the country and then come back and stay up to 60 days.  

Your posts have been strange.

Just state clearly what is the plan.

You need enter Thailand and exit after 10 days? 

How long will you be out of Thailand after a 10 day stay..

Hells Bells. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your posts have been strange.

Just state clearly what is the plan.

You need enter Thailand and exit after 10 days? 

How long will you be out of Thailand after a 10 day stay..

Hells Bells. 

My posts are clear - you head isn't