Over 1 Million Chinese Tourists Visited Thailand So Far in 2023

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government has confirmed that Thailand received one million Chinese tourists between January and May 18, following China’s border reopening.

According to Government Spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri, the government expects the number of Chinese visitors to meet its target of 5 million this year, with spending of 446 billion baht (US$13.18 billion).

Last year, only about 274,000 Chinese tourists visited the kingdom compared with 11 million in pre-pandemic 2019 - or about 28% of the total.

The government earlier said overall foreign tourist arrivals were 9.47 million from January to mid-May, compared with the 11.15 million visitors in the whole of 2022.

The Thai economy - the second largest in Southeast Asia - grew faster than expected in the first quarter, driven by the continued pickup in the crucial tourism sector, which has been a key source of jobs that was severely affected by the pandemic.

by  Paul Rujopakarn

Top Picture: REUTERS/Chalinee 

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230529101704562

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-05-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So lets get this straight...5 and a half months and 1 Million Chinese Visitors.....leaves 6 and a half months to bring in 4 million more to reach the goal of 5 million.......not seeing it folks.

I don’t know if the government’s figures can be achieved but tourist arrivals are not linear. There are high, low and shoulder seasons for every country from every country. Depends on school holidays, seasons etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t know if the government’s figures can be achieved but tourist arrivals are not linear. There are high, low and shoulder seasons for every country from every country. Depends on school holidays, seasons etc.

The biggest travel time for Chinese is the lunar new year and that has already passed in 2023. From that, it could be assumed that their will be fewer Chinese arrivals for the remainder of the year. Especially now their economy is going south and unemployment soaring.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

If the Chinese cannot get their economy on track, 1000K will the the yearly norm.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

As China - and its people - are in a a huge financial hole and it looking even worse in the near future, I think Thailand should be looking west and not east

That is 1 bog part.

The other one is that they have Chinese police looking for Chinese nationals in Thailand.

At least in the West they know about it and are are kicking them out. So, Chinese will always prefer to go West than to Thailand.

47 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

If the Chinese cannot get their economy on track, 1000K will the the yearly norm.

Yes, it’s worrying that the Chinese economy is only projected to grow at under 5% this year, Russia at 2% while Germany is racing ahead with contraction the last 2 quarters, UK at 0% and the US at slightly above 1%.

I believe that it was also Germany that was celebrating a reduction in inflation of 0.2% (7.3% down to 7.1%)

One poster commented that Thailand should be focusing on western countries instead. Thailand is lucky he’s not on their advisory board.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

As China - and its people - are in a a huge financial hole and it looking even worse in the near future, I think Thailand should be looking west and not east

A well known China hawk, Gordon Chang has been predicting the collapse of the Chinese economy since 2012 I believe. Sadly, I doubt he (or any of us on this forum) will live to see it happen in our lifetime.

I recently read a report TH stated that over 50%? of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck? If so. I doubt they will be able to help the Thai tourism industry much.

37 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Yes, it’s worrying that the Chinese economy is only projected to grow at under 5% this year, Russia at 2% while Germany is racing ahead with contraction the last 2 quarters, UK at 0% and the US at slightly above 1%.

I believe that it was also Germany that was celebrating a reduction in inflation of 0.2% (7.3% down to 7.1%)

One poster commented that Thailand should be focusing on western countries instead. Thailand is lucky he’s not on their advisory board.

https://mronline.org/2023/05/23/peak-china-a-new-low-in-western-attempts-to-persuade-china-to-commit-suicide/

In the meantime China climbed to be the top car exporter in the world in the first 4 months of 2023.

Edited by gearbox
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Time will tell!  

5 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

A well known China hawk, Gordon Chang has been predicting the collapse of the Chinese economy since 2012 I believe. Sadly, I doubt he (or any of us on this forum) will live to see it happen in our lifetime.

I recently read a report TH stated that over 50%? of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck? If so. I doubt they will be able to help the Thai tourism industry much.

Same with the Chinese and Thai's!  Chinese are seeing the biggest contraction in decades. Westerners don't know where Thailand is.  Been dead for years now for quality western tourists.

Edited by Gknrd