Portable HDD issue

rustinorman

52 minutes ago, rustinorman said:

In the "About This Mac" section, under the "Storage" tab, an issue arises when the TOSHIBA storage device is connected, triggering an immediate error message. However, I simply proceed by clicking on the "ignore" option.

image.jpeg.a437c9b1fdfe1ad7442dc5beaf2833d5.jpeg

Although the TOSHIBA storage device is visible, it is not accessible through the Disk Utility tool. The "First Aid" feature still functions properly and can be utilized.

image.jpeg.4a459d676ea400a9ca8820e81df5ac0b.jpeg

Did you try the Initialise option? And how about the other questions?

Edited by sometimewoodworker

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Did you try the Initialise option? And how about the other questions?

Yes, but unfortunately without success. Now, I'm planning a visit to Pantip as I'm running out of alternatives I've tried all the solutions mentioned in this thread.

I've been working with Mac computers for over 30 years and, despite my "Mac knowledge", I can't seem to resolve this particular issue

1 hour ago, rustinorman said:

Yes, but unfortunately without success. Now, I'm planning a visit to Pantip as I'm running out of alternatives I've tried all the solutions mentioned in this thread.

I've been working with Mac computers for over 30 years and, despite my "Mac knowledge", I can't seem to resolve this particular issue

If those are new disks, since you have tried everything possible, my next step would be to return them as defective. 
I am not sure if you have tried a different machine likely a windows one.

10 minutes ago, rustinorman said:

Is it possible that I've identified the error that's causing this issue? The terminal indicates that the format is NTFS, which I believe Mac cannot write to.

image.jpeg.2123e0e943b297f938948b6da808bd16.jpeg

That should not cause them to be unable to be wiped but two tools, SYSGeeker NTFS for mac and Mounty for NTFS for mac maybe useful  https://www.sysgeeker.com/best-free-ntfs-for-mac-reviews.html

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I wonder if these 2 HDDs are fake ? not sure there is a better word for it. I came across a HDD and USB thumbdrives before where it has a too good to be true price. The capacity is all there but you can never format it other than what is already formatted exFAT. If you try to delete and make new Partition in order to format to example ext4, the drive will get corrupted.

Advice OP to get a new portable HDD from a reputable seller rather than trying to repair this. Your data is at risk here.

49 minutes ago, extercy said:

I wonder if these 2 HDDs are fake ? not sure there is a better word for it.

I now also suspect that these could be fakes. However, I am not an expert to judge that.

The images show the SAMSUNG and TOSHIBA labels.

image.jpeg.61d70766c1da3f18cc4740ce2ad9bff0.jpeg

image.jpeg.69437b5fee24ee5c5e7f63807c2cb10c.jpeg

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If those are new disks, since you have tried everything possible, my next step would be to return them as defective. 
I am not sure if you have tried a different machine likely a windows one.

The OP didn’t buy them so he will have to return them to the co-worker who ‘gave’ them to him in the first place.

Increasingly, however, the drives are looking as though they’re fakes.

have a 2 TB Seagate HDD portable, connected it to my laptop 1TB SSD running Win 11, did a backup of 878 GB using Seagate OneTool software it took 6 hours, tried the same backup using Paragon backup took 5 hours 56 minutes is it normal that took so long, how long would it be if the portable was SSD

29 minutes ago, rustinorman said:

I now also suspect that these could be fakes. However, I am not an expert to judge that.

The images show the SAMSUNG and TOSHIBA labels.

image.jpeg.61d70766c1da3f18cc4740ce2ad9bff0.jpeg

image.jpeg.69437b5fee24ee5c5e7f63807c2cb10c.jpeg

So the labels on the drive clearly say 2tb and you're trying to squeeze more out of them?

From your desctiption, it looks that you have a Chinese tampered hard disk.
Those kind of hard disk are aold on the market as (for example) 500 GB disks but are in reality 60GB disks in which the allocation table has been changed.

I had one of these froom Lazada, filled with Thai movies and sings, but none of them were able to play.
When I removed the sticker and typed the Serial number of the case, it came out to be an old Toshiba 60 GB hard disk.

There are several programs on the internet, a lot of them are freeware, to detect if your hard disk/memory card is genuine or not.

Edited by Confuscious
adding

46 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

have a 2 TB Seagate HDD portable, connected it to my laptop 1TB SSD running Win 11, did a backup of 878 GB using Seagate OneTool software it took 6 hours, tried the same backup using Paragon backup took 5 hours 56 minutes is it normal that took so long, how long would it be if the portable was SSD

There are amusingly priced SSD drives that will take days to write 

9 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I just did a test for you, writing to to an external SSD WITH A 411GB set of files took 13 minutes, 

writing the same 411GB took 9 minutes.

However if writing multiple files the times will be significantly longer and I am using an M2 Mac with 2TB SSD so on windows with a less capable IO it’s going to be longer again

• Thanks 1

I'm glad to inform you that my problem has been successfully resolved by purchasing a brand new HDD from the Apple store. 

image.jpeg.86d1c9a87726d903b2790cd74c0ebfe3.jpeg

I have replaced the faulty disks with a Sandisk G-Drive Armor ATD, which has a storage capacity of 1 TB. The cost of this disk was 3690 baht.

image.jpeg.1fd947008d3eb3a2f804359ff535b28d.jpeg

Earlier, I had both disks (TOSHIBA and Samsung) tested on both a PC and a Mac. The test revealed I/O errors on both disks, and attempts to reformat them proved unsuccessful. They are unusable.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, rustinorman said:

I have replaced the faulty disks with a Sandisk G-Drive Armor ATD, which has a storage capacity of 1 TB. The cost of this disk was 3690 baht.

Do you have a specific reason for using a mechanical drive rather than an SSD that will be at least 5 x faster and probably 10 x lighter?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rustinorman said:

Earlier, I had both disks (TOSHIBA and Samsung) tested on both a PC and a Mac. The test revealed I/O errors on both disks, and attempts to reformat them proved unsuccessful. They are unusable.

Out of interest what does your co-worker who gave you these drives say about them?