Thaksin says he will return to Thailand in July, despite potential consequences

snoop1130

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sweep stakes.... 

How long before he’s arrested and red-shirts protest and blockade major cities... 

Then the military have to step in with another Coup because the existing government are unable to maintain law and order ???

I give it 5 months.

Do you think he made a deal with the current government when he saw the election result?  Could they offer him more than the coalition could?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thaksin’s popularity has waned with unexpected seats loss in traditionally strongholds in the North and North East. The losses in party lists are also significant. Thaksin has acknowledged that MFP has better policies and personalities. I don’t think he can do much for the party and he has thrown in the towel for politics.

He has talk about returning before the election. I think he is determined to return and enter the legal process. MFP wining the election and forming the government will deflect a lot of accusation of collusion for his return if PTP is to be the government.

He know that he will be returning with Prayut still the caretaker government. Lots of bad blood between them but not sure Prayut still have the appetite to go after Thaksin. In fact, I don’t see the yellow shirts have the appetite to demonstrate in numbers. So it will left to be seen, how the authority will handle his return in accordance to the legal process. He keep saying about waiting for permission. Think that is a cryptic message. 

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, bignok said:

If I was super rich like him I would forget Thailand. Go enjoy a more sophisticated region.

I'd have done this many years ago. He could find immense happiness by using his money to help villages in Africa dig wells. He'd experience so much joy when he receives the thanks of the villagers. But he doesn't think at that level.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

I'd have done this many years ago. He could find immense happiness by using his money to help villages in Africa dig wells. He'd experience so much joy when he receives the thanks of the villagers. But he doesn't think at that level.

He could do exactly the same thing in poorer parts of Thailand and be just as popular? Remember that Thailand's still a relatively poor country. Part of why he was so unpopular with some in Thailand was because he was seen to be a champion of the poor?

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Serious question - Is there no statute of limitations on his "crimes"?

"Boss" seems to have got away with most of his sentences due to the statute of limitations - why not Thaksin?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I disagree. Why would he plan this? Why would he plan for another coup? What will he gain?

The simple answer is that he could careless about Thailand this is all about him.

The interesting part is he is waiting for his daughter to tell him when he an come home.

I think the only way that works is if she is in power .  Although I can see a deal based on lese majeste.

Also how does grandpa look after kids if he is in prison.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

Serious question - Is there no statute of limitations on his "crimes"?

"Boss" seems to have got away with most of his sentences due to the statute of limitations - why not Thaksin?

Only the land case has expired. Others convictions tallied more than 10 years and there are also pending cases. Good point why the “boss” got away with their corruptions and seizing power from a legit elected government. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

I've often had the same thought.  The thing is, super rich people aren't rich because they're such good people and want to help others.  They're rich because they want to be rich, to have business empires, to have huge amounts of wealth.  They reach the point where they could provide a good life for them and their families, but they keep going because they want more money, more than they could possibly spend. 

The chances are he simply wouldn't get the same feeling some people would from helping others.  ????‍♂️

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I am waiting for Ung Ing (Paetongtarn, his daughter) to set the date, the timing.” 

Odds are 7/5 for Thursday 13th July. I think that's when the 60-day, post-election game of musical chairs (is supposed to) ends.

Edited by NanLaew

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that he wants to be able to care for his seven grandchildren, to relieve the burden on their parents, so they can focus

Him and Trump could be brothers. Of course the poor families  can relate to that crap cause that’s how they have to live 

Let me guess - am guessing that kids go to school with a driver, a few bodyguards and maybe one or two Nannie’s ?  

Poor old grandpa is going to be so much help 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that he wants to be able to care for his seven grandchildren, to relieve the burden on their parents

Great Aunt Yingluck can do a couple of days as well. 555