Thaksin says he will return to Thailand in July, despite potential consequences

snoop1130

1 hour ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Flawed?

Complex?

There is nothing complicated in explaining Thaksin.

I will summed that up for you. You can make your own interpretation. 

Thaksin’s flaws were that he sought to grow too big, too powerful, too fast against entrenched establishments. 

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

IMHO this is nonsense. Unless there is a 'deal' to keep him out of jail he won't come. End of story.

He can sought for a retrial based on prosecutorial misconduct and stay out of jail. No deal, just entering into the legal process. Caveat being the MFP and PTP coalition form the government. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

He can sought for a retrial based on prosecutorial misconduct and stay out of jail. No deal, just entering into the legal process. Caveat being the MFP and PTP coalition form the government. 

For interest and from memory, 1 or 2 of the judges that ruled him guilty on at least 1 of his trails had been previously appointed by Thaksin when he was PM. 

So for people to keep saying the trail/s where flawed or politically based could be very wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:

For interest and from memory, 1 or 2 of the judges that ruled him guilty on at least 1 of his trails had been previously appointed by Thaksin when he was PM. 

So for people to keep saying the trail/s where flawed or politically based could be very wrong. 

Judges are appointed by the King. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

I will summed that up for you. You can make your own interpretation. 

Thaksin’s flaws were that he sought to grow too big, too powerful, too fast against entrenched establishments. 

The “entrenched establishment” were never going to accept any level of “democratic power”. It was not that Thaksin “sought to grow too big, too powerful, too fast” but that he sought to grow at all. The fault was not Thaksin’s, it was/is the “entrenched establishment”.

• Like 1

Just now, bignok said:

Not everyone likes their family. 

Agree with that, famiies can be extremely hurtful, saw this with my dad, his parenst and siblings hated him for no good reason. By extension they hated my mum and me.

Eventually dad disowned all of them because of the nasty vindictive letters sent to me whilst I was on active duty in Vietnam, by my grandmother, about how bad my dad was. All proven to be total lies. Grandma was a very vindictive old lady. Ultimately the whole family went it's own way with no further contact. Familes are not always nice. 

Why,

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I like to summed up Thaksin as a flawed complex politician that creat an economic miracle, lifting millions out of poverty and became the unquestioned champion for the destitute peasantry. He unlocked capital that were denied by the elites and deployed the resources to the poverty stricken provinces and lifting their living standard. He empowered the poor to have a voice in running the country. For this he paid a price and not by the losing in an election but by a military coup. The military should be the guardian of democracy but not in Thailand. They are the existential problem together with the appointed senators, EC and Courts that thumb the scale of democracy 

Some truth in that but the paymaster wasn't a saint.

Far from it. He did some very unethical / immorral things. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

Is it just me or does the number of grandchildren he needs to come back and wet nurse increase with every interview?

Could be, i suspect his ego and his belief he's a saint grows bigger...

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, candide said:

Certainly not the government!

As a general principle in Thailand, elected people have little power on appointed people who mainly appoint each other. It may vary according to the Constitution and the type of court. The basic principle is that they are selected by a panel or committee, in which appointed people have a large majority of votes. For high courts, the Senate may have some approval power.

Ex

"Under Section 36 of the Regulation of the Judicial Service Act B.E. 2543 (AD 2000), the Judicial Service Commission shall consist of: (1) the President of the Supreme Court, as chairman; (2) 12 qualified members of all levels of Courts, four persons from each level (i.e., the Supreme Court, the Appeal Court and the Court of First Instance); and (3) 2 qualified members who are not and were not judicial officials and who are elected by the Senate."

http://thailawforum.com/articles/charununlegal4.html

Additional comment

In the 1997 constitution, the Senate had more power and was elected, so there could have been some indirect influence if elected Senators had the same political orientation as the government.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Some truth in that but the paymaster wasn't a saint.

Far from it. He did some very unethical / immorral things. 

And the military are saints?

Things like 2 military coups?

Stealing the whole country at the point of a gun?

Not holding elections that gave the Thai people the choice of who THEY wanted to vote for?

Rewriting the constitution in their own favour?

Granting themselves amnesty for all past, present and future acts?

Selecting the entire from their mates without ANY consultation of the Thai people?

Killing Muslims in Tak Bai. Prayuth was in charge of that.

Killing a nurse in a wat. That was the army as well.

Compared to that, Thaksin WAS a saint.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Not holding elections that gave the Thai people the choice of who THEY wanted to vote for?

Selecting the entire from their mates without ANY consultation of the Thai people?

Thaksin was not…..by a loooong way.

In any event it is none of your business (nor mine), you are an alien - move on if you don’t like it/can’t accept it.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Don't compare Thaksin to the army, compare him to other politicians.

He was far richer than the clans' leaders. He was more dominant, more oppressive because of his money.

He had the opportunity with his huge majority to truly develop and advance Thailand, but instead he enriched his family, companies and close business associates.

He belongs to the past if Thailand can truly move forward.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Thaksin was not…..by a loooong way.

In any event it is none of your business (nor mine), you are an alien - move on if you don’t like it/can’t accept it.

Of course it is my business as it is everybody who lives in Thailand's business.

Thaksin affected my life when I was living here, and he may do so again or not. Something that NOBODY actually knows yet.

Since when have you had the authority to tell people to move on if they don't like it in Thailand?

Yes I am a foreigner who is married to a Thai and I have an 18 year old Thai son as well.

If you don't like my comments, then don't bother to read them. You could put me on your ignore list, I promise that I will not care or cry, or even take your own unwanted and unwarranted comment to me, and move on yourself.

You may not have noticed but this is an open forum and anybody can comment how they wish subject to the mods.

• Like 2