SSA Form 7162 Time Again

6 minutes ago, retiree said:

Thanks Pib.  I just used EMS 1,550 baht.    I think FedEx something priority would have been 1,400, probably do that next year. 

My 60 days is next Monday, so might make it -- or more likely 60 days means postmarked by. 

Any clue if they reject a late response to the first notice?

Keep us updated if EMS tracking shows the "entire" trip (especially from the US coast to Wilkes-Barre) to include SSA Wilkes Barre delivery....or does it seem to go MIA after entry into the U.S. 

And why not fill out a duplicate and also mail it via "regular airmail" for around Bt50.   I figure if you are willing to spend Bt1,550 on EMS another Bt50 for a 2nd mailing shouldn't hurt.

Edited by Pib

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

Keep us updated if EMS tracking shows the "entire" trip ...

And why not fill out a duplicate and also mail it via "regular airmail" for around Bt50.  

Will  post update.  I guess the most informative result will be if it arrives there on day 61.  Am I informed of receipt within the time limit anywhere?  or will I just get another form in the fall?

56 minutes ago, retiree said:

Will  post update.  I guess the most informative result will be if it arrives there on day 61.  Am I informed of receipt within the time limit anywhere?  or will I just get another form in the fall?

Review below SSA website which covers the Foreign Enforcement Program....SSA's scary name for the 7161/7162.   Click below link and then just click Next in the top right corner to go to the section/document explaing the program, mailing schedule, etc.  Each section/doc is one a page or two long.

You will not get any feedback from SSA Wilkes Barre "of the day they receive your 7162"....that would only come from the US and/or Thai Postal Tracking websites for your shipment.  As explained before don't be surprised if your EMS-tracked shipment (or registered mail) seems to go MIA for weeks or longer after arriving the US entry point...and/or you don't see final delivery to SSA Wilkes Barre.  You might see it go MIA after entering the US, you might see it go MIA between the US entry point and Wilkes Barre, you may see it reach the Wilkes Barre post office but no indication it got from the post office to SSA, OR you may be one of the lucky ones to see tracking and delivery confirmation into the hands of some Wilkes Barre SSA rep.  Watch the US and Thai Postal System tracking at their tracking websites.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655000

image.png.74471bb35467842b402ee29ce6435d48.png

18 hours ago, Pib said:

Thank you for this link.  The SSA procedures do not specify date of receipt vs postmark for the 60-day limit (or the 45-day limit for the second notice).  The SSA will not inform you of successful receipt and processing. 

What is clear is that while it is fairly easy to have benefits suspended (the following January) by missing one of those deadlines, it is difficult to have them cancelled, and takes a full 7 years (unless you actually are dead).  

The SSA goes to some lengths to determine if you are still alive, including simply checking if you are still making SS / self-employment tax contributions.  They will also accept phone calls at this point. 

If you are still alive, benefits are restored from the suspension date.   See https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202602320#c

C  Procedure – FO actions after efforts to locate

2. Beneficiary or representative payee responds to suspense action
    If the beneficiary or their representative payee responds to the suspense action, follow these steps: ...
    c. Reinstate benefits effective with the first month of suspension using the guidelines found in SM 03005.160, if applicable.

Edited by retiree

I expect the return within 60 days is referenced from the date the 7162 was generated/printed which was 6 June 2024 for this year's mailing...date of printing shown in upper right hand corner of barcoded 7162 that SSA sends you.  People in Thailand started reporting receipt in mid Jun.  The wife and I here in Bangkok received ours on 17 Jun.

When people mail it back immediately it should arrive Wilkes Barre well before end of Jul.  

Since SSA mails the 7162 via regular airmail if it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive a person's address in Thailand  then it probably takes 2-3 weeks for a regular airmail th go back to Wilkes Barre PA.  That's been my personal mailing experience but I live in Bangkok which probably helps with mailing times.

SSA doesn't generate the 2nd mailing till sometime in Sep with a return within 45 days requirement which would probably be in late Oct/early Nov.  

And if SSA never receives a 7162 from the person it's not until Jan that they send the person a letter saying benefits are suspended beginning for the 3 Feb payment date.

43 minutes ago, Pib said:

I expect the return within 60 days is referenced from the date the 7162 was generated/printed

My question was when day 60 occurs, not day 1.  If it is after the day the return letter is postmarked it matches all government deadlines I know of, including taxes and voting. 

It would seem unusual to me if they were to require receipt by day 60, particularly because they have to go to much more effort to verify a death than to check a postmark.  But it's their process, so ... 😉 

Just now, retiree said:

My question was when day 60 occurs, not day 1.  If it is after the day the return letter is postmarked it matches all government deadlines I know of, including taxes and voting. 

It would seem unusual to me if they were to require receipt by day 60, particularly because they have to go to much more effort to verify a death than to check a postmark.  But it's their process, so ... 😉 

Postal delivery times can vary greatly...domestic and international.   And it's not uncommon nowadays for a received envelope to not show any mailing or delivery postmark/date.  I

On the SSA  7162 mailing the wife and I received this year on 17 Jun had no post marks; only the 6 Jun date on 7162 form contained within the envelope.  Expect the SSA forms were printed and then mailed same or next day.

I fully expect the SSA in establishing their 60 day return date is based on 30-45 round-trip mailing time which gives the recipient 2 weeks or more to complete a super simple form and mail it back.  A generous time.

Anyone who wants to argue with the SSA they should use a receipt postmark date (a postmark that may not even exists) is going to have as much luck as fighting a windmill.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

n the SSA  7162 mailing the wife and I received this year on 17 Jun had no post marks; only the 6 Jun date on 7162 form contained within the envelope.  Expect the SSA forms were printed and then mailed same or next day.

I fully expect the SSA in establishing their 60 day return date is based on 30-45 round-trip mailing time which gives the recipient 2 weeks or more to complete a super simple form and mail it back.  A generous time

unfortunately for me, I have not received my 7162 yet in chiang mai. Last year I got mine 3rd week of July  but this year still no love. Keeping my fingers crossed to Not have my SS suspended . Hoping the next mailing in Oct will here sinner for me .

Connect with Social Security
from Anywhere with
Social Security Video Connect
With Social Security Video Connect, you’ll have a personal experience without having to visit
an office.1 You can connect with a Social Security representative over video to handle your
business with us. This includes:
• Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefit applications.
• Overpayments.
• Medicare.
• Supplemental Security Income redeterminations.
• U.S. citizen no-change replacement Social Security cards.
• U.S. citizen date of birth corrections.
1 Some requests may require an in-person interview.
Just follow these simple steps:
1 Contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800-772-1213
between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to request
a video appointment.
2 A Social Security representative will determine if a video
appointment is an appropriate option, based on the service you
request. Note, you must have a device with a web camera and
internet access to use Social Security Video Connect.
3 If you are eligible for a video appointment, you will need to provide
your email address.
4 Your local office will send you an email with a link for a Microsoft
(MS) Teams video appointment.
5 On the date and time of your appointment, you will connect with us
using the link provided.
6 If you need to reschedule or experience any issues with the link,
contact your local office for assistance, or call 1-800-772-1213
between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
If you are not eligible for a video appointment, you can still conduct
some business online or schedule a telephone or in-office appointment.
SSA.gov
Social Security Administration
Publication No. 05-10539 | May 2024
Connect with Social Security from Anywhere with Social Security Video Connect
Produced and published at U.S. taxpayer expense

Sent 7162 via EMS (1,550 baht) on Tue July 30 - Received in Wilkes-Barre Mon Aug 5.  I think this was day 60 (notice was dated June 6, but not received for several weeks).

Latest Update: Your item has been delivered and is available at a PO Box at 12:17 pm on August 5, 2024 in WILKES BARRE, PA 18767.

Tracking works fine using both https://track.thailandpost.co.th/ and https://tools.usps.com/go .  I also got e-mail (clicked send updates on the USPS page).  About a dozen incremental steps along the way -- longest blackout was 2 days.   Page had been saying signature required, but it was accepted without a sig. 

• Thanks 1

@retiree

Thanks for that update regarding delivery and tracking when using EMS.

For Others Listening In,

I expect some folks have used "registered airmail" which costs around Bt350.  For those who used "registered airmail" to mail your 7162 back to Wilkes Barre how did your delivery "and tracking" work out?   That is, you could track it/get updates all the way to Wilkes Barre, did it show any missing in action time like maybe getting stuck for a while at a certain location, did it show final delivery to SSA?  Thanks.

I sent the form back the next  day after receiving it in the mail using the tracking method of 355 baht. It was delivered as shown below. Note that on the same day as receiving the SSA form 7162 I also received my tax refund that was mailed on May 24 and a letter from the IRS that they were mailing my return in lieu of direct deposit. This letter was dated prior to May 24. So it appears somewhere the mail is being held before delivery.

27/07/2567 18:35International (United States)Final delivery (J D)

• 27/07/2567 16:58International (United States)Arrival at post office
  • 17/07/2567 12:58International (United States)Perform customs clearance
  • 16/07/2567 12:58International (United States)Arrival at inward office of exchange
  • 16/07/2567 12:37Air carrierThe receptacles delivered to the destination post
  • 16/07/2567 11:09Air carrierThe transport departed from transit airport
  • 13/07/2567 11:40SUVARNABHUMIDeparture From Outward OE
  • 13/07/2567 09:45SUVARNABHUMIArrival at outward office of exchange 
  • 12/07/2567 14:59LAK SIIn transit
  • 12/07/2567 10:20SI RACHAIn transit
  • 11/07/2567 20:24SI RACHAItem into sorting center
  • 11/07/2567 18:33PattayaIn transit
  • 11/07/2567 12:29PattayaPosting/Collection
  • Thanks 1

Mine is stuck in the usual "in transit to next site state".

USPS

July 17, 2024   In Transit to Next Facility
July 13, 2024, 12:24 pm Departed USPS Regional Facility, SCRANTON PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
July 13, 2024, 3:17  am  Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility, SCRANTON PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
July 11, 2024, 11:21  am Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility LEHIGH VALLEY PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
July 9, 2024, 5:43  pm Arrived at USPS Regional Facility NEW YORK NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
July 6, 2024, 6:00  am  Inbound Out of Customs

Thai Post

05/07/2024 23:45  Arrival at Inward Office of Exchange [ (United States) Int - USJFKA ]
04/07/2024 15:20  Arrival at transit country [ Air carrier - DOH ]
03/07/2024 21:05  Departure from [ Air carrier ] to [ (United States) Int - USDOH ]
03/07/2024 01:49  Carrier received receptacles
02/07/2024 21:52  [ SUVARNABHUMI Mail Center ] Handed over to air carrier
02/07/2024 14:07  Departure from Outward Office of Exchange [ SUVARNABHUMI Mail Center - THBKKC ]
02/07/2024 09:36  Arrival at Outward Office of Exchange [ SUVARNABHUMI Mail Center - THBKKC ]
02/07/2024 04:05  Departure from [ LAK SI Mail Center ] to [ SUVARNABHUMI Mail Center ]
01/07/2024 18:35  Departure from [ LAK SI Post Office ] to [ LAK SI Mail Center ]
01/07/2024 11:54  Posting/Collection [ LAK SI Post Office ]

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Thailandbuckeye said:
  • 27/07/2567 18:35International (United States)Final delivery (J D)
  • 27/07/2567 16:58International (United States)Arrival at post office
  • 17/07/2567 12:58International (United States)Perform customs clearance
  • 11/07/2567 12:29PattayaPosting/Collection

So 7162 form, using airmail with tracking, took 16 days from Thailand to Wilkes-Barre, including a 10-day layover between US airport and delivery.  No stopover in Scranton Distribution Center shown.  Thanks.

24 minutes ago, rabas said:

USPS

July 17, 2024   In Transit to Next Facility
July 13, 2024, 12:24 pm Departed USPS Regional Facility, SCRANTON PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Thanks for following up.

I'd interpret that as probably having gone to Wilkes-Barre and then delivered, for a total of 11 or 12 days.  Just guessing, but at the last stop they're probably hand-scanned, so it's possible if the tag was marred, or two were stuck together, or there were a lot of you timely guys that day, or if the mailman was running late, it might not have been entered.

I guess we'll find out if you get a follow-up 7162 request in the fall. 

Edited by retiree

27 minutes ago, retiree said:

Have you tried both the Thai and US tracking sites?

NO!  I forgot. Thanks. I edited my post.

Mine always gets stuck in transit, never gets reported as delivered. 

Edit, removed sleepy response.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rabas said:

. Did you do anything different other than mail from Pattaya? Your tracking looks different, is that a summary? Do you know which US port your letter entered? 

Mine was EMS (popped for the 1,550 because I was cutting it close). Mailed at a small station in Bangkok.  Was "Processed Through USPS Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)" then on to "USPS Regional Facility JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL  DISTRIBUTION CENTER" the same day.  

My one-line summary is from the e-mail they sent me, but pretty identical to the USPS tracking site.  

• Thanks 1

Just FYI. As of today, I have still not received my 7162. I sent an email to FBU Manila asking them what I should do. They sent me back a copy of the form 7162 and asked that I fill it out and send it to the address they specified. The blank form they sent me is missing some filled in fields like the one I received last year but I am going to go ahead and mail this as they have suggested.

On 8/7/2024 at 11:24 AM, DineshR said:

Just FYI. As of today, I have still not received my 7162. I sent an email to FBU Manila asking them what I should do. They sent me back a copy of the form 7162 and asked that I fill it out and send it to the address they specified. The blank form they sent me is missing some filled in fields like the one I received last year but I am going to go ahead and mail this as they have suggested.

After seeing your post I too sent an em to FBU Manila asking for assistance since I did not yet received the annual 7162 form (and my wife did receive in June).

FBU Manila sent a quick response attaching the form; but did not include an address to return the form to but with a partial return address if you were returning the form by "courier".  Here's what they wrote:

"To avoid the suspension of your benefits, please complete the form as soon as you receive it and send it back via regular postal mail using the enclosed business reply envelope. You do not have to send the form via courier service; however, if you wish to do so, you may use the following address for courier service:

Wilkes-Barre Direct Operations Center

Attention: FEQ Analyst – Courier Service

1150 E. Mountain Dr. Room 341

Wilkes Barre, PA xxx-xx-xxxx 

U.S.A. "

No full zip code for "courier" service.  And certainly no "return envelope"...LOL

(And I do have the address to return to because of my prior year mailings, anyways....)

Two questions…

Is there anyway to confirm that the SSA has received the 7162 form that was returned to them?

What is the procedure to change one address with the SSA?… Is changing the address on one’s online account account sufficient to change address or does one actually have to file an address change in writing?

24 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

Two questions…

Is there anyway to confirm that the SSA has received the 7162 form that was returned to them?

What is the procedure to change one address with the SSA?… Is changing the address on one’s online account account sufficient to change address or does one actually have to file an address change in writing?

Not really.  Over the years there are quite a few posts on AN describing how some people called SSA trying to find out if SSA received their 7162 but the SSA customer rep couldn't see anything in their system although the 7162 had been received & processed.  

Do it online if possible; otherwise, contact SSA like Manila for this part of thw world.

5 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Wilkes-Barre Direct Operations Center

Attention: FEQ Analyst – Courier Service

1150 E. Mountain Dr. Room 341

Wilkes Barre, PA xxx-xx-xxxx 

U.S.A. "

i have not received my 7162 and would like to do the same as others to fill an empty 7162 and return back to USA . If I use regular mail , do I use the address above ( Can someone please give me the PA zip codes)   or

Social security administration 

the P.O. Box 7162

wilkes-barre, pa 18767-7162

thanks 

Or, to revive an old discussion, if you begin your SS retirement while still in the States, when you move to Thailand, don't notify Manilla -- and avoid the fire drill being discussed on this thread.  Nothing illegal about this, since, if you're entitled to SS retirement, you can live anywhere in the world and receive your monthly payment -- except for a few countries, like North Korea and Cuba. It's only if you're getting SS SSI (the welfare side of SS), and you move outside the US, are you legally required to notify the SS administration.

When I moved here, I got a mail forwarding address, which I put into the "mailing address" of my online SS account. The next line had an affirmative: "The above address is my physical address." And a check block. I was honest, and didn't check it. This was several years ago, and there was no follow up to this blank check box. No integrity violated -- nor, apparently, any curiosity.

Don't really feel I'm violating the spirit of the "are you alive" requirement, since when I croak, the wife has to notify the Air Force (DFAS) to begin her survivor pay. Uncle Sam, then, is duly notified to stop my Air Force check, and my SS check.

Still haven't received the 7162 form. I made some copies of the 7162 form I received last year before I filled it out and returned it to the USA. I filled  out a copy of last years 7162 and sent it with a short explanation. Hope it works. Can't understand why I haven't received the   latest 7162form, I seem to get all my other post from the states. Maybe I'll get a form in November. 2 years ago I didn't get the from so I di the same as above. It's very annoying.

1 hour ago, khaepmu said:

Still haven't received the 7162 form. I made some copies of the 7162 form I received last year before I filled it out and returned it to the USA. I filled  out a copy of last years 7162 and sent it with a short explanation. Hope it works. Can't understand why I haven't received the   latest 7162form, I seem to get all my other post from the states. Maybe I'll get a form in November. 2 years ago I didn't get the from so I di the same as above. It's very annoying.

I have done enough hair pulling through the years... also I did not receive any form this year, so from now on  I just automatically make 2 separate mailings (regular airm mail 57 baht) of the form that I can download from SSA Manila website (thanks @Pib)

one to their po box the other to their room 341 street address. Did this in July and going to do same in November, regardless of what I will have received or not from SSA. Probably will register just one among these 4. Final cost: 355x1 + 57x3 baht.