Video shows the moment when US and Chinese warships were involved in a near collision in the Taiwan Strait

Social Media

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Absolutely Chinese vessels starboard side Americans port side the Chinese is the give way vessel + it was reckless and dangerous definitely a big no no 

Dangerous game of chicken. While the video clearly shows the USN had the right of way, the Captain of the USN has some explaining to do why no traffic avoidance wasn't executed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

An aerial shot would have been better.  Was the US ship even moving, or how fast.

Near collision - 150 meters ?

USA is playing a dangerous, provoking game.  How would the US react to an Carrier Strike Group off Wash. DC's coast.

There is no need for them to be there, except to provoke the Chinese.  USA & UN doesn't even recognize Taiwan as a country, and only a 12 countries do, and have diplomatic relationships with Taiwan.

Those 12 countries are;  Belize, Guatemala, Haiti, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, Paraguay, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Eswatini and Tuvalu.

You can see the wake behind the US ship, so yes moving. I'm sure video was shot from Canadian Ship. I believe they are in International water, our ships have every right to sail there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You can see the wake behind the US ship, so yes moving. I'm sure video was shot from Canadian Ship. I believe they are in International water, our ships have every right to sail there.

Every right, but why ?

Obvious to me ... but hey, I'm not anti CH ?  They aren't there to 'keep the peace', more to disturb it ... IMHO

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Absolutely Chinese vessels starboard side Americans port side the Chinese is the give way vessel + it was reckless and dangerous definitely a big no no 

Absolutely correct.

'15 Crossing situation (Rule 15).

(a) When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel'.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Absolutely correct.

'15 Crossing situation (Rule 15).

(a) When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel'.

If a collision had happened, of course the Chinese ship would be at fault, but the US ship would also have to answer why they didn't also maneuver to avoid collision.

Rule 17 deals with the action of the stand-on vessel, including the provision that the stand-on vessel may "take action to avoid collision by her manoeuvre alone as soon as it becomes apparent to her that the vessel required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action.

The USN has a lousy track record for collisions and near misses.

Edited by EVENKEEL

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Every right, but why ?

Obvious to me ... but hey, I'm not anti CH ?  They aren't there to 'keep the peace', more to disturb it ... IMHO

The video was shot by an embedded journalist working for Global News, a Canadian news organization. The ship was the HMCS Montreal.  

Anyone familiar with maritime law knows that the principle at sea is "give way right". That is, the ship to the right has the right of way. Much like at a four way stop when you are driving.  So, the PLAN ship was obligated to alter course, slow down, do whatever it takes to not impede the American warship.  And it didn't.

The passing distance was less than 150 meters. Sounds like a lot, but at sea that is seriously danger close. These ships generally are about 150 meters in length, so it is just one ship-length away. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The video was shot by an embedded journalist working for Global News, a Canadian news organization. The ship was the HMCS Montreal.  

Anyone familiar with maritime law knows that the principle at sea is "give way right". That is, the ship to the right has the right of way. Much like at a four way stop when you are driving.  So, the PLAN ship was obligated to alter course, slow down, do whatever it takes to not impede the American warship.  And it didn't.

The passing distance was less than 150 meters. Sounds like a lot, but at sea that is seriously danger close. These ships generally are about 150 meters in length, so it is just one ship-length away. 

I had the Conn on large ships, and if I ever allowed a ship to cross at 150 yds I'd be relieved and kicked off the bridge, regardless of who had the right a way.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Every right, but why ?

The US are asserting the rights of free passage in international water.

We know you’re not anti ‘China’, we got that.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

An aerial shot would have been better.  Was the US ship even moving, or how fast.

USA is playing a dangerous, provoking game.  How would the US react to an Carrier Strike Group off Wash. DC's coast.

Of course the US ship was under way. Naval vessels 'on patrol' don't just sit there in the water twiddling their collective thumbs.

Regardless of the political circumstances, all vessels both military and civil are required to abide by the internationally agreed collision avoidance rules and the Chinese vessel very clearly disregarded those.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

There is no need for them to be there, except to provoke the Chinese.  USA & UN doesn't even recognize Taiwan as a country, and only a 12 countries do, and have diplomatic relationships with Taiwan.

Those 12 countries are;  Belize, Guatemala, Haiti, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, Paraguay, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Eswatini and Tuvalu.

USA reaction to a... I assume you mean Chinese, Carrier Strike Group, off the coast of Washington, DC? First would be dismay that US intelligence did not pick up that China even had a Carrier Strike Group. 2nd reaction? International shipping along Bothe USA coasts takes place all the time conforming to the Law of the Seas agreement. You have an issue with free international waters navigation?

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Every right, but why ?

Every right but why? Hmm, by extension I would think you might support international shipping respecting the unilateral claim by the PRC covering most of the South China Sea? Peace at any price, or all expected to conform to international agreements, in the case the Law of the Seas and the International Court declaring China as not conforming to international law? I count myself an old friend of China but I support all nations sailing freely in international waters ... China is not immune to overstepping.

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They are in international waters? Anyone can be there?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

The USA have every right to be there, its international waters, having said that so do the Chinese!

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That is a fair call actually.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 8:26 AM, KhunLA said:

Every right, but why ?

China doesn't want the US there, but I expect if you asked the surrounding countries, they would prefer a democratic presence to push back on the communist presence