Somethings crawling on us, but can't see them.

4MyEgo

With the rain season, I am once again noticing the feeling of some thing crawling on me, especially when it gets hot.

The above said, I don't really pay to much attention to them, but the wife has gone a little troppo at the moment dissecting everything which has become a real pain in the butt for me and the rest of the family.

Vacuuming mattresses, bleaching floors and washing the poor old family dog every chance she gets, got to feel sorry for the dog ????

I have done a fair bit of research, and apart from nits, lice, and some others, nothing really comes to mind, although I did find a white thing walking down my arm the other day, looked like a small maggot, but wasn't one, suffice to say, maggots are more yellow.

Anyone experiencing something similar during this rain season ?

I got a light blue bucket and put the hose in it (we have a filtration system), and noticed some very small black bugs at the very bottom of the bucket, too small for the naked eye to be able to recognise what they were, but they did splatter when I squished them on my finger, that said, just added a chlorine tablet in the tank as it maybe in the water (village bore water), recently found a new dig for the water after running out of water previously.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Are you itchy as well?  or is it just a crawling sensation on your skin?

Tiny midges - similar to sandflies give me a hiding here at times - and a single bite will make me itchy all over for a day or 2. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Denim said:

Prickly heat ?

Do you still get the sensation after an hour in an air con room ?

Come to think of it, air conditioning does take that crawling and itchy feeling away.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If they are fleas, they are not the type we used to have back home, i.e. you knew when a flea bit you, this is like a small itch on either side of my arms and on my chest, even as I type this, not annoying in the slightest, but one has to pay attention to it to notice it.

It does sound like prickly heat.
If it was fleas you would be feeling it most on the legs, that's where they hop on most.
Small baby fleas are not black until they feed enough, and are very hard to see.
And as you said, you should easily identify if fleas are biting you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe they are "Springtails" I see more of them on hot humid days  .They can crawl but they usually jump. There are almost 40 on the tip of the  finger in the photo below.

Web search results    "Should I worry about springtails?

Springtails are not a danger to people, pets, or the structures of buildings; they can however become an invading pest that enters homes in large numbers and becomes quite a nuisance.

They’re often confused with fleas because their ability to jump and small size make them seem like any other tiny insect – but springtails don’t bite!"                                "....Pesticides are not effective against springtails and should not be used."

479824659_Springtails.jpg.ee0eab3678e8219e658833003fa42f33.jpg

Edited by Seth1a2a
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cooties...girl tend to have them from what i recall as a kid ????

and whatever you do dont let the Mrs watch the movie BUG.......A.Judd and Micheal Shannon....

also sometimes ive found that my laundry soap can give me the itching....detergents..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geisha said:

If you think it’s the heat rash, buy a tin of snake brand Prickly heat talc.

I always  have this talc it’s great in the heat. Most supermarkets or pharmacies have it. Or , You might have an allergy ? Does your wife have it too ?

What I wonder about: if the OP's wife is Thai, she would know all that herself.

As she is the one going crazy over it, this -- in my opinion -- must mean that the reason has to be something less usual.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

As she is the one going crazy over it, this -- in my opinion -- must mean that the reason has to be something less usual.

I call it phobia, she is over it now thank Buddha, I watched a video that 1FinickyOne posted above and got her to watch it, she said she was aware of that.

She said she spoke to her Dad about what was going on, and he said that the village Mayor didn't put Chlorine in the water as of about a month now, as the village can't afford to put Chlorine in the water because when they had to build a new water tower a month ago, no one wants to pay more for the water so no Chlorine.

I don't believe this stuff as Thai's tend to make a lot of stuff up for the sake of it, that said, I got her a couple of Chlorine tablets and put them into our 2 x 2,000 litre tanks yesterday afternoon, she now says she feels better after showering and that the bugs aren't bugging her anymore apparently ????

The girl is going troppo as I mentioned earlier, what next....LOL 

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

having spoken to her Dad said the village Mayor doesn't put Chlorine in the water as of about a month now as the village can't afford it because they had to build a new water tower and no one want to pay more for the water.

As this is in the village: any heavy spraying of pesicides or other chemicals in the fields around your house -- or around the water tower or drinking water source? Did they "clean" the inside of the "new" water tower?

Did any others in the village have similar symptoms?

Knowing Thailand, that might be a talk well worthwile having with the mayor.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

As this is in the village: any heavy spraying of pesicides or other chemicals in the fields around your house -- or around the water tower or drinking water source? Did they "clean" the inside of the "new" water tower?

Did any others in the village have similar symptoms?

Knowing Thailand, that might be a talk well worthwile having with the mayor.

No spraying of pesticides or other chemicals in the fields around our house, as for around the water tower or drinking water source, or cleaning of the new tower, that is something she can raise with the Mayor.

There are 4 of us in this household, none of us seem to have what she believes she has/had, I think once a certain person finds something crawling on their skin, then they will start investigating their entire body, how many pieces of tissue paper did I look at, her telling me that they were worms, to my eyes, they were tissue paper, I don't take these matters lightly, and told her that I will take her to a dermatologist at the Private hospital to inspect her skin if she likes and she agreed, only to bail out of it today.

Phobia in my opinion as mentioned.

Hoe weather, prickly skin + 100,000 mites living on our body living off of our skins cells, water off a ducks back IMO.

Prickly heat, use baby talc after shower when dry. Same problem for me, feels like something crawling on your skin. If you get it bad you can use a local topical cream to help, ask your  Phamacy for treatment.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2023 at 2:51 PM, 4MyEgo said:

She has it bad, in the mind.

Now that it has cooled down, i.e. early 30's there is very little if any itching.

In 1970 I was stationed near Dubai and in the hot season quite a few people went sick with the feeling of something crawling on the skin. The MO said it was probably lack of salt and to make sure they took the salt tablets that were on the tables at meal times.

Seemed to do the trick. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In 1970 I was stationed near Dubai and in the hot season quite a few people went sick with the feeling of something crawling on the skin. The MO said it was probably lack of salt and to make sure they took the salt tablets that were on the tables at meal times.

Seemed to do the trick. 

I took her to Bangkok Private today, the Dr was thorough, and said, he also couldn't see what I couldn't see and believes it to be a Phycological condition and prescribed Clorazepate 5mg, wife doesn't want it, ok, he also suggested if she didn't improve to perhaps see a Physiatrist, yeh, ah thanks Doc, I hear yah.

The tablets when read on Google appear to be quite addictive, so will monitor the situation and see if these "invisible" worms to my and others eyes disappear over the next day or so.