Same sex marriage and marriage visa, will it be possible?

7 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Why would they make it harder than a normal marriage? 

Nobody said they will, but it will probably carry specific requirements and they have to form a document for approval and then application of the immigration service. That takes time.

It's all speculation and promises.Not reality.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Why would they make it harder than a normal marriage? 

I don't know if they will make it harder, but TiT, can you see them making it any easier? 

What I think will be interesting is the finer details of how it works, by this I mean currently a Foreign Male marrying a Thai Female has very different Immigration obligations/rights than a Foreign Female marrying a Thai Male....

My best guess is that they will go down the route of a Foreign/Thai Male-Male or Female-Female marriage would get the same immigration status as is currently afforded Foreign Male + Thai Female, but it would be great to see them leveling the playing field on this at the same time... 

No skin in the game as I'm a dyed in the wool Hetro Bachelor & even with any positive Immigration changes can't see that changing, but I do think the current rules are harsh against Foreign males.

Apologies if anything in this post offends anybody, certainly not my intention I'm just genuinely curious as to how this will play out & FWIW I've no doubt that it will happen in the next couple of years.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Maybe they could start my making Foreign Husbands married to Thai Wives equal to Foreign Wives married to Thai Husbands.

Nothing has been done to address this discrimination so don't hold our breath about anything being done about same sex marriage.

You can already get married. 

Sounds selfish to ask for priority over people with NO marriage rights at all.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Maybe they could start my making Foreign Husbands married to Thai Wives equal to Foreign Wives married to Thai Husbands.

Nothing has been done to address this discrimination so don't hold our breath about anything being done about same sex marriage.

MF have also earmarked the inroducton of laws/regulations etc., to actively reduce the massive gap in income, seems to me that's a bigger priority. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

MF have also earmarked the inroducton of laws/regulations etc., to actively reduce the massive gap in income, seems to me that's a bigger priority. 

Governments can do multiple things.  Marriage equality is popular.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You can already get married. 

Sounds selfish to ask for priority over people with NO marriage rights at all.

This is about Immigration Issues. Not Marriage rights.

Married Women need nothing in the bank.

Married Women can easily get Thai citizenship.

Married Women can easily get PR.

Married Men not so.

My point was that Married Men are discriminated against so don't hold any hopes for same sex people who cannot even legally get married.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

This is about Immigration Issues. Not Marriage rights.

Married Women need nothing in the bank.

Married Women can easily get Thai citizenship.

Married Women can easily get PR.

Married Men not so.

My point was that Married Men are discriminated against so don't hold any hopes for same sex people who cannot even legally get married.

No it's about marriage rights.

No marriage rights no immigration issues.

You have a valid complaint though of course.

Gonna be interesting to see whether or not foreign males married to Thai males will have to show financial proof for the marriage extension (since female foreigners married to Thai males don't have to).

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Myran said:

Gonna be interesting to see whether or not foreign males married to Thai males will have to show financial proof for the marriage extension (since female foreigners married to Thai males don't have to).

Premature. 

We don't have marriage equality yet.

Even when that eventually happens it isn't a given they will allow Thai to foreign marriages at all.

It's interesting that people seem to be viewing this from a heterocentric POV. Interesting but not surprising.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Haha 1