Swedish bank notes now useless abroad

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The change happened suddenly and many were taken to bed.

Is this a new phrase that doesn't mean what it says? It's hard to keep up with changing language, such as bad now meaning good, wicked also meaning good, and so on. Words meaning the opposite of what they used to. Who even begins these changes? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why the Swedish Krona has fallen - lowest in 15 years

The Swedish Krona has approached historically low levels against the euro and the dollar - largely due to international concerns about the property market.

This is bad news for Swedes hoping to travel abroad this summer, but good news for some Swedish businesses.

https://www.riedia.com/article/en/swedish-krona-fallen-lowest-15-years-2023-06-04/

Did Swedes and Norwegians really travel to faraway countries with cash in their exotic local currencies, hoping to exchange it? I'd have assumed they had the good sense to take along cash in a major currency or use cards.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Did Swedes and Norwegians really travel to faraway countries with cash in their exotic local currencies, hoping to exchange it? I'd have assumed they had the good sense to take along cash in a major currency or use cards.

There is many media reports In Swedish language  where people have been asking is it legal for a foreign bank or exchange office to refused Swedish Krona so I assume yes people have taken Krona banknotes with them

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Is this a new phrase that doesn't mean what it says? It's hard to keep up with changing language, such as bad now meaning good, wicked also meaning good, and so on. Words meaning the opposite of what they used to. Who even begins these changes? 

The phrase caught me also. I was not familiar … after a bit, it dawned on me … equals “caught sleeping”, not being aware of the sudden change. Then it made sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just a typo, apparently. Since corrected to, "taken aback."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

The phrase caught me also. I was not familiar … after a bit, it dawned on me … equals “caught sleeping”, not being aware of the sudden change. Then it made sense.

It doesn't mean "caught sleeping" it was a typo. It's been corrected to, "taken aback."

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

it will be a sad day when everything goes cashless, it might be convenient but you are then at the mercy of banks and charges for every transaction, that will be a sad day when we have no choice

Or something like this happens:  Due to technical issues caused by our payment provider, SumUp, we were unable to process card transactions for two hours at Aviva Stadium," the company said in a statement.

This was in Ireland at an American College Football game so the consequences were no beer or hot dogs for two hours.  Just imagine something like this happens for a longer period  and on a larger scale.  Essentially the future means just about everything will be electric and electronic financial transaction(meaning no physical money).  Don’t ever lose your phone because you might not be able to buy anything until you replace the phone.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:
3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Then why didn't it say that? Bizarre :)

Bizarre, and now corrected.