Phuket Taxi Drivers Asked to be More Polite to Tourists Following Viral Incident

webfact

5 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

They violate their very reason for having been granted a "license" to operate a cab. Revoke the license for good, confiscate their driving license for a cab and ensure a juicy fine. 
After 10 - 20 indictments I am sure that the message will get across. All that pussyfooting around the semi-divine Khon Thai has to stop, in the interest of Thailand and its people (of which the visiting tourists can only benefit as well). 

Then 90% would lose their licenses 55

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Taxi drivers in Phuket are being asked by officials to be more polite

who are these taxi drivers, are they so important that have to be "asked" to do their job of providing good service and be courteous.

The title is misleading and should read " taxi drivers were instructed, requested to do their job or their will lose their license"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geisha said:

I was in Kata beach when  the taxi drivers outside the hotel resort opposite attacked a foreign tourist with bars and sticks. They beat him up ! All because the tourist parked his hire car unknowing claimed by taxis on the road leading to the beach where all the many taxis are. He would not have known they were taxis, they’re not marked and there are no signs ! His wife and children screaming and crying looking on as this happened. There were many witnesses. I believe nothing was done.  That’s when I left Phuket. 

There was a similar level of lawlessness on Samui, when I lived there. You really had to stay out of trouble, as you knew you could never count on the police for help. The taxi mafia is above the law on the southern islands. Any and all laws. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe a law saying no overcharge or monopoly prices allowed first. And only charge by meter, with the same rate as in Bangkok for starters. And higher penalty fees if the raxi doesn't follow it. Like first time 10k baht, 2nd time you don't follow the rules 50k baht and 3rd time, the taxi is lost.

Need a Phuket Taxi?

Just dial

1 800 SCAM and you'll be enjoying authentic local price gouging from door to door!

For just 5 thousand baht more, sign up to their innovative new caper: "Conmen in cars getting coffee".  

17 hours ago, waders123 said:

If only the government would set a reasonable flat rate to and from the airport in Phuket and enforce it with a strong conviction, then you might be able to get this mafia taxi out of Phuket or at least reduce them.   Meters are great but it is harder to enforce them.  A flat rate with BIG signs everywhere stating the rates, (including on the taxi itself), then there would be less price gouging.   But after this "asking" to be nice business they will go back to their usual monkey business and continue gouging their customers.

You ever been to the Island of Phuket?

"Phuket – Taxi drivers in Phuket are being asked by officials to be more polite after a foreign female tourist was forced out of a minivan in Phuket by drivers of other vans operating at the Phuket Rassada Port."

Is that not a bit like Cleopatra asking the snake not to bite her?

Actually, I found the same thing in Pattaya. I ordered a bolt at a certain location and long story short the local taxi mafia was not pleased and gave him a stern talking to.  He had to pay them 200 baht, which i promptly paid him and apologized (the mistake was really mine).  But yes, taxi mafia, watch out baby! 

On 6/5/2023 at 11:02 PM, waders123 said:

If only the government would set a reasonable flat rate to and from the airport in Phuket and enforce it with a strong conviction, then you might be able to get this mafia taxi out of Phuket or at least reduce them.   Meters are great but it is harder to enforce them.  A flat rate with BIG signs everywhere stating the rates, (including on the taxi itself), then there would be less price gouging.   But after this "asking" to be nice business they will go back to their usual monkey business and continue gouging their customers.

Patong to airport by Bolt 450 baht... ystday Cheapest Taxi quote was 800b 555

16 hours ago, Lokie said:

Patong to airport by Bolt 450 baht... ystday Cheapest Taxi quote was 800b 555

I was in Krabi earlier this year and they have buses as well as other modes of transport to get you to your location at a very reasonable price.  There is no reason for this sort of price gouging to go on in Phuket other than the local hierarchy wants their brown envelopes and so it continues; business as usual as soon as the spotlight is shining somewhere else.  

Edited by waders123

On 6/8/2023 at 9:48 PM, waders123 said:

I was in Krabi earlier this year and they have buses as well as other modes of transport to get you to your location at a very reasonable price.  There is no reason for this sort of price gouging to go on in Phuket other than the local hierarchy wants their brown envelopes and so it continues; business as usual as soon as the spotlight is shining somewhere else.  

yes but the buses are not much use if the stops are no where near your room hence why they are not a main method by most who cant be bothered

Re; Chipbutty - Dunno it was a US friend on why home, av not heard anything about issues dropping off lately at Phuky... 

I seem to remember when Tourists started returning to Phuket after Travel restrictions were lifted the PM and asked that tourists should be treated better and stop ripping tourists off as it reflects badly on Phuket. Obviously fell on deaf ears and was completely ignored. I can't remember his name but a few years ago the head of police gave an interview saying he will put an end to Taxi mafia threats and intimidation, a few weeks later he was transferred to another post off the Island.