The health effects of marijuana

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Not surprisingly, reading comprehension is not your strong suit, huh? 

So, here we go again , Tell me now, what do you think you asked, ?? below is cut and pasted from your post

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Is it your opinion that people that only use it are able to provide an "unbiased assessment"?

that certainly looks like your question does it not?

And my reply which i think answers your question quite directly and to the point , was

9 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Yes it is my opinion that those with no personal experience are absolutely unable to provide any sort of unbiased assessment.

Obviously by personal experience I mean  "use of"

So I fail to understand your response of 

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

That not what I asked though, is it? 

I never claimed that reading comprehension was my strong point, so you will have to help me and everybody else out.  just explain what you asked,  rather than wasting my time with your failed attempt at insulting me

20 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Not surprisingly, reading comprehension is not your strong suit, huh? 

well my original reply to your ramblings is now a "popular post" so  you had better hurry up to clarify your question or you might lose whatever credibility you thought you had. Come on all eyes are on you and we are all waiting

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

That not what I asked though, is it? 

Are you high now? 

I have used both. 

I never said it was produced as a joke, please try to follow along. 

Much of the anti-cannabis "propaganda" proved true. 

Actually, like most every heroin addict, I started with weed. 

I would not care much about it if we did not live in a welfare state where the productive have to support the unproductive.  

Carry on. 

If you declare is a heroine addict are you really an LGBTQ??   hero in Thailand ? Or  not in Thailand where  heroin addiction is a millionaire  disease?

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

well my original reply to your ramblings is now a "popular post" so  you had better hurry up to clarify your question or you might lose whatever credibility you thought you had. Come on all eyes are on you and we are all waiting

Yeah, it's been five minutes, the loadies are growing restless...

14 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

If you declare is a heroine addict are you really an LGBTQ??   hero in Thailand ? Or  not in Thailand where  heroin addiction is a millionaire  disease?

He's probably never even been here

57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

To be fair, AA members are exactly the same about alcohol.

And I've noticed the most rabid anti-tobacco crowd are often reformed smokers.

Back to the OP, health effects ........

Smoking 0.5gm every night for the past 2 years has left me pain free in my arthritic finger joints, and even reduced the swelling to nothing. Amazing really!

Reformed smokers are the worst . Never (knowingly or intentionally) met an AA member but its probably part of the therapy, not blaming themselves and all that. 

Glad to hear about the health benefits though,and i genuinely  dread to think what the medical establishment would have prescribed for your condition

36 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So, here we go again , Tell me now, what do you think you asked, ?? below is cut and pasted from your post

that certainly looks like your question does it not?

And my reply which i think answers your question quite directly and to the point , was

Obviously by personal experience I mean  "use of"

So I fail to understand your response of 

I never claimed that reading comprehension was my strong point, so you will have to help me and everybody else out.  just explain what you asked,  rather than wasting my time with your failed attempt at insulting me

What I thought I asked you was if it was your opinion that only people that use it are able to provide an "unbiased assessment"?

What I thought you answered was: "Yes it is my opinion that those with no personal experience are absolutely unable to provide any sort of unbiased assessment." 

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Not being a weed smoker I had no idea there was a difference.

So this stuff they sell in shops in Pattaya Phuket etc is what they call "synthetic" it's not real natural marijuana?

Most of the stuff in the Green shops is hybrid of questionable potency, over priced and for the tourists. 

For me the home grown naturel weed I get free from the local Thai's that know I enjoy the odd joint now and again is great stuff, I just cut it up roll a fat one and then have a good nights kip. I'll admit is is not the same as I was used to in Europe, strength wise but it does the job for me, I'm 70 and a spliff with me Horlicks, is a great way to end another good day on planet earth.

• Like 1

I recommend watching Dr. Andrew Huberman's podcast on marijuana.

He is a neuroscientist. 

He talks about how it can cause paranoia in some people and lead to defects in short-term memory in some people.

This is a clip. The full-length video is much longer. At least watch this clip if you can. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 8:11 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Now marijuana is legal in Thailand and there appears to these cannabis shops popping up ,

I would hate to see the medical future of these people indulging in this habit .

Op, believe you're about 12 months late with this post.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

What I thought I asked you was if it was your opinion that only people that use it are able to provide an "unbiased assessment"?

What I thought you answered was: "Yes it is my opinion that those with no personal experience are absolutely unable to provide any sort of unbiased assessment." 

And your response of "That is not what I asked though is it? " implies to me that you  don't consider my answer to be relevant to your question?

I didn't realise that you expected me to  reply using your exact words? Is that an american "thing"? Are you really  having difficulty understanding my reply due to that?   

Or is this a really pedantic attempt at "Grammar policing" remember you are american so not really a native speaker of English

The answer to your question was obviously "yes" as that was the first word I typed.

OK so far?

The text afterwards, simply, (or so I thought)  explains why, and, I  thought, reinforced the reason for my answer. Obviously not and I wish I hadn't bothered

The rest of your post, that you appear to have deflected from successfully, was rubbish too by the way

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I used for about fifteen years and have been clean over thirty so I think I have a pretty good idea what it's about. 

Just doing something for "about" 15 years does not mean you have the slightest clue as to how it affects everybody else. How many other cannabis weaned ex heroin addicts like you are there posting rubbish on this forum ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, stoner said:

386 people died as a result of cannabis use; of these, 258 cases were caused by synthetic cannabis. Nearly 65 percent of these cases involved synthetic cannabis as the only drug involved.

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Not being a weed smoker I had no idea there was a difference.

So this stuff they sell in shops in Pattaya Phuket etc is what they call "synthetic" it's not real natural marijuana?

I am pretty certain "synthetic cannabis" is not being sold anywhere in Thailand and certainly not in any of the weed shops, 

Due to the effects it has on people it would be headline news if it was 

It bears no resemblance whatsoever  to natural cannabis 

It made the headlines in parts of the UK a year or two ago The tabloids front pages were awash with "zombie apocalypse" stories and to be honest, having seen first hand  how  it effects those who use it, they weren't far wrong ( for a change)

On 6/6/2023 at 8:38 PM, stoner said:

edibles. tinctures. inhalers.

An old girlfriend saved the day when I had a torn rotator cuff and no insurance. Her Alice B chocolate brownie cookies were miraculous pain relief and didn’t make me completely goofy.(1/2 cookie per “ dose”.)

10 minutes ago, mikebike said:

I'd say it does. When you do anything for 15 years you not only become an expert in a personal sense, you becomepart of a community engaged in that activity. That community, whether it be bowling, or book club, or puffing, or your local pub, tends to be a diverse group. Being immersed in an activity for 15 years means you DO have a clue, whether you agree with the opinion or not. 

I was forced to learn french at school for 13 years ...can't speak a word of it either! just sayin.

But  i've been "immersed" in the "cannabis  community"  for over 40 years and continue to be so!  therefore i must have a bit more  of a clue than him then wouldn't you say? 

As I have said before I don't know anybody who has become schizophrenic, paranoid, or psychotic or indeed a heroin addict dabbling with angel dust and mescaline as he now claims .

Nor do I know anybody who knows anybody that fits those profiles, and that's quite a lot of people in total

Before cannabis unfairly takes the blame, I think the constant, never ending, bad news that we are subjected to, day in day out, might have a bit to do with sending a few people over the edge.   The rest of them , well, they're just nutters  and were heading that way  with or without weed

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

He is a neuroscientist. 

He talks about how it can cause paranoia in some people and lead to defects in short-term memory in some people.

This is a clip. The full-length video is much longer. At least watch this clip if you can. 

Short term memory was a problem for me, and smoking anything is flat out( COPD,asthma, heart attacks, etc.) As I lie here slowly recovering from a fractured pelvis, though, I would consider some sort of edible. ( <deleted> hurts!)

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Nor do I know anybody who knows anybody that fits those profiles, and that's quite a lot of people in total

my 30 years can also add a massive number of people to this. 

44 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

I think what most can agree on is, that in adults (!), it can (!) have amazing health benefits -- if used responsibly.

As with all things, the dose makes the poison. Somebody spliffing grams a day, every day, of the highest THC potency stuff they can find, maybe even mix it with other drugs, should not be surprised that the effects can be over time less favorable.

The question should not be, if Marihuana -- or alcohol, as it is arguably the more destructive drug -- can be legalized, but if the populace as a whole is able to behave responsibly, or if laws are needed to curtail all to protect those that are unable to behave accountably.

From my mindset, I am all for trusting in our enlightened fellow citizens, spending the tax income on education about potential dangers, so everybody can make an informed decision about risks and benefits.

Good post. 

Any body smoking copious amounts of cannabis or  would soon become aware of the law of diminishing returns and require a "tolerance break" in order to enjoy the effects they are looking for

I think the past 12 months has clearly demonstrated beyond all doubt  that people almost without exception are capable of behaving responsibly regarding cannabis, Users have indeed been under the spotlight and very few reports have been received  ! 

The same cannot be said for alcohol which features on the news daily as a contributing factor in many incidents some of them fatal

As with all things, education is key , but as far as cannabis is concerned , the removal of all   the misinformation spewed out by governments etc  is also required as some people unbelievably seem to still believe it

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, stoner said:

my 30 years can also add a massive number of people to this. 

and all the people you know and all the people that they know  we must be in the millions already

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

He is a neuroscientist. 

Another "TV doctor" type character trotting out the same old untruths, to further the agenda of his paymasters.  I won't be wasting my time watching him thank you very much.  heard it all before a thousand times , just a slightly more sophisticated and modernised version of reefer madness, 

37 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Another "TV doctor" type character trotting out the same old untruths, to further the agenda of his paymasters.  I won't be wasting my time watching him thank you very much.  heard it all before a thousand times , just a slightly more sophisticated and modernised version of reefer madness, 

you may be right.

here he is again, but in this video it's mostly joe rogan giving his opinion.

joe rogan is a user and an advocate.

he says that, unlike alcohol, marijuana can have therapeutic benefits. 

he claims it helps him focus more when doing jiu-jitsu.

but also warns it affects some people negatively, depending on their genetics ... 

Edited by save the frogs

10 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

And your response of "That is not what I asked though is it? " implies to me that you  don't consider my answer to be relevant to your question?

I didn't realise that you expected me to  reply using your exact words? Is that an american "thing"? Are you really  having difficulty understanding my reply due to that?   

Or is this a really pedantic attempt at "Grammar policing" remember you are american so not really a native speaker of English

The answer to your question was obviously "yes" as that was the first word I typed.

OK so far?

The text afterwards, simply, (or so I thought)  explains why, and, I  thought, reinforced the reason for my answer. Obviously not and I wish I hadn't bothered

The rest of your post, that you appear to have deflected from successfully, was rubbish too by the way

On the contrary, I thought your response was relevant as it was on the same topic, I just don't think it answered the question. Is that clearer? 

Had you only said yes, the answer would have been clear, but when you qualified it with "...it is my opinion that those with no personal experience are absolutely unable to provide any sort of unbiased assessment."  it became unclear. 

Personal experience could mean any number of things beyond actually using it, yes?   

On 6/7/2023 at 9:33 AM, Zenwind said:

Here is a link to my original 15 March post here on Asean Now (in the subforum “Health and Medicine”).  It is called “Health Benefits of high-THC Cannabis” and it documents my recent positive experiences with Micro-Dosing:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1289233-health-benefits-of-high-thc-cannabis/

I am 73 years old, and, quite simply, marijuana’s very significant health benefits to me are to get me to Exercise.  Please read that original post to get the full story. 

Here, I want to add some info to that OP.  I only smoke cannabis two or three times a week, usually when I realize that I must break out of my old-guy laziness, get up and move more.  I have refined my Micro-Dose intake to only two “tokes”, and they are quite modest inhalations – all I need. 

My walking distances have increased (from 100 meters with a cane a year ago), and twice a week I usually do a seven-kilometer loop in around 90 minutes, with shorter walks on days in between.  If I feel especially spunky, I will climb the 35-step pedestrian flyovers crossing the avenue and any even higher stairs to elevated train stations, up to 12 of these stairways in my seven K marching route.  Nice workout. 

The past month has seen 100-degree F heat on my midday marches, so I recommend diligent hydration.  I always have a water bottle in hand and wear a quality mask because of the dirty air.  

You may be skeptical of my experience, but my original post (linked above) is worth examination. 

-Zenwind.

Ironically , this morning I was talking to a pal on the telephone , who I have not seen for a few years . He has lost 20 kilos by exercising and has 1 joint a day . He says the same as you , that the toke gets him motivated to hit the road on his bicycle . 

I am also in my 70s and suffer with spinal stenosis which limits my mobility . I feel that I must try the weed to get me moving and away from my sedentary life style . Problem is , what weed to buy ( is it a good grade ) , do you mix it with ordinary tobacco or smoke it straight ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, superal said:

Ironically , this morning I was talking to a pal on the telephone , who I have not seen for a few years . He has lost 20 kilos by exercising and has 1 joint a day . He says the same as you , that the toke gets him motivated to hit the road on his bicycle . 

I am also in my 70s and suffer with spinal stenosis which limits my mobility . I feel that I must try the weed to get me moving and away from my sedentary life style . Problem is , what weed to buy ( is it a good grade ) , do you mix it with ordinary tobacco or smoke it straight ?

Marihuana used for medical reasons shoukld never be mixed with tobacco. The negative health balance of smoking is well known, so why compound risks.

Actually I would be hesitant to smoke it pure, or vape it, as well. In both cases, the risks are simply an unknown to date and putting any pressure on the lungs in old age seems like a bad idea.

The way to go, to my mind, for a clinical application, would be edibles: used this way for a very long time, dosage can be exact, easy to transport and consume in public if necessary. The only negative I can think of is, that you need to keep them secure from children, who might mistake them for something they are not.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 5:07 PM, jts-khorat said:

Marihuana used for medical reasons shoukld never be mixed with tobacco. The negative health balance of smoking is well known, so why compound risks.

Actually I would be hesitant to smoke it pure, or vape it, as well. In both cases, the risks are simply an unknown to date and putting any pressure on the lungs in old age seems like a bad idea.

The way to go, to my mind, for a clinical application, would be edibles: used this way for a very long time, dosage can be exact, easy to transport and consume in public if necessary. The only negative I can think of is, that you need to keep them secure from children, who might mistake them for something they are not.

Interesting . Could you expand on the "edibles" I.e. what you do and amounts per recipe etc?