U.S. Seeks Strong Bilateral Ties as New Thai Government Forms

webfact

image.png

BANGKOK (NNT) - A top U.S. official for the Indo-Pacific region has said the goal of the United States is to support an "effective, stable, democratic government" in the country.

White House Indo-Pacific Coordinator Kurt Campbell told the Hudson Institute think tank that U.S. officials have been carefully watching Thailand’s election. He added that this is a delicate phase in terms of the formation of a government.

The opposition Move Forward and Pheu Thai parties dominated last month’s general election in Thailand and have been seeking to form a coalition government. Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat is trying to get backing in a legislative vote for the next prime minister expected by August.

Campbell noted that many companies are invested in Thailand, while the U.S. has strong military programs and engagements with the Thai armed forces. He added that the U.S. wants to work with the new Thai government after it forms.

The U.S. is seeking to boost ties with allies and partners throughout Asia, as Washington seeks to sustain a strong bilateral relationship with Thailand - its oldest treaty ally in the region.

by Paul Rujopakarn

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230608115402076

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-06-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A top U.S. official for the Indo-Pacific region has said the goal of the United States is to support an "effective, stable, democratic government" in the country.

So what happened during the last 9 years?

• Like 2

Is this the way diplomats change flavor of the month? They loved Prayut then they court Pita. Pita may understand what the Americans want but that doesn't mean they have to give up their virginity. 

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So what happened during the last 9 years?

"The military takeover in Thailand drew swift international condemnation on Thursday, with the United States saying it was reviewing its military aid and other dealings with its closest ally in Southeast Asia."  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-protest-reaction-idUSBREA4L0ZH20140522

"The U.S. is suspending $3.5 million in military aid to Thailand, its first punitive step against the Asian country following a military coup, the State Department announced Friday.

Spokeswoman Marie Harf said the department is still reviewing a further $7 million in direct U.S. assistance to Thailand, and an undetermined amount of aid from other global and regional programs."  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-suspends-3-5-million-in-military-aid-to-thailand-after-coup/

Beyond expressing displeasure and suspending aid, what did you want the US to do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Being friendly with the U.S. is akin to extending relations with a demon.

Not in Thais best interest.

Leave it alone.

On another topic you made it clear that you don't have faith in democracy and here you make it clear Thailand should not have friendly relations with the US.

Out of curiosity, what kid of government do you think Thailand should have and what nations should it be friendly with?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, heybruce said:

How did that sale influence politics in Thailand?  Other than making the Thai military more dependent on US equipment.

If USA was so against the coup and Prayuts placement at the top slot then they should have threatened that all imports exports to Thailand until a democratic free election was held with a civilian government installed.

Instead of the empty rhetoric... 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

If USA was so against the coup and Prayuts placement at the top slot then they should have threatened that all imports exports to Thailand until a democratic free election was held with a civilian government installed.

You wanted the US to surrender Thailand to China.  Got it.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Campbell noted that many companies are invested in Thailand, while the U.S. has strong military programs and engagements with the Thai armed forces.

Beware this "business investments" is the excuse they used to overthrow Hawaii's Monarchy

(Although it was Hawaii's fault for allowing Falangs/Haoles to own business in Hawaii)

That aside Run Thailand Run!

Be the Switzerland of Asia meaning a neutral country... Never allow USA nor China to tell you to bend over & spell RUN ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

"The military takeover in Thailand drew swift international condemnation on Thursday, with the United States saying it was reviewing its military aid and other dealings with its closest ally in Southeast Asia."  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-protest-reaction-idUSBREA4L0ZH20140522

"The U.S. is suspending $3.5 million in military aid to Thailand, its first punitive step against the Asian country following a military coup, the State Department announced Friday.

Spokeswoman Marie Harf said the department is still reviewing a further $7 million in direct U.S. assistance to Thailand, and an undetermined amount of aid from other global and regional programs."  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-suspends-3-5-million-in-military-aid-to-thailand-after-coup/

Beyond expressing displeasure and suspending aid, what did you want the US to do?

Cancelled $ 3.5 million but retained the $7 million, and who knows how much under the table. 

$ 3.5 million in military aid will not even a cup of coffee in the US industrial complex, 

But I get it, as Thailand is trying to play the field in the political football between the US and China , so is the US. If I was in charge of the US I would have done the same, and If I was Pitta I would have done the same also. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I thought so. Humor is best when there is a certain amount of ambiguity . I got a chuckle out of your reply :clap2:

Laughter is the best medicine... not Anutins remedy.

Oooop's there I go again

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The U.S. is seeking to boost ties with allies and partners throughout Asia, as Washington seeks to sustain a strong bilateral relationship with Thailand - its oldest treaty ally in the region.

Its called paranoia.

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Cancelled $ 3.5 million but retained the $7 million, and who knows how much under the table. 

$ 3.5 million in military aid will not even a cup of coffee in the US industrial complex, 

But I get it, as Thailand is trying to play the field in the political football between the US and China , so is the US. If I was in charge of the US I would have done the same, and If I was Pitta I would have done the same also. 

I see someone was confused by my reply, Perhaps having to do more with my inarticulate  post rather that his comprehension skills . So let me expand.

No surprises with any of these, All the actors are acting as they should , thing being what they are. 

After the fall of the Soviet Union and before the rise of China from what they call "The 100 years of humiliation) the world political landscape was Unipolar

With the US the world hegemon. With the rise of China this dynamic is changed  the hegemony is being challenged,and the world is becoming multipolar.

In addition with the creation of the BRIC alliance the position of the US dollar as the worlds currency is being challenged.  The seizure of Russian assets after the Ukrainian invasion and previous seizures of other "enemies"   assets has did not help. Who wants to park their wealth in a bank that could unilaterally confiscate their money. I know I would not and I am sur neither would you. 

The US rightly so is trying to contained China , a bit late IMO, and protect the dollar with strategic alliances while trying to maintain appearances.

Of course it would , so would anyone else in that position. 

No surprises there.

The US will try to maintain and create new alliances, and . non aligned countries will maintain their distance waiting to see which way the fight will go. 

In this game ,Unfortunately  morality has no place only reality. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Purdey said:

Is this the way diplomats change flavor of the month? They loved Prayut then they court Pita. Pita may understand what the Americans want but that doesn't mean they have to give up their virginity. 

They hated Prayut as he tried to balance China/USA keep as neutral as possible.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I think you fail to remember all the good work the US has done in supporting democratically elected governments in places such as Guatemala, Guiana, Ecuador, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Chile, Nicaragua, Grenada, El Salvador, Haiti, Venezuela, etc etc etc etc!  And this is just in Central and South America.   History tells it all clearly.  ????

Edited by ThaiFelix
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Better red than red, white and blue.....

????

Dont quite like either choice but given the latter's long standing history of aggression, regardless of excuses made, I'm inclined to agree with you.

19 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I think you fail to remember all the good work the US has done in supporting democratically elected governments in such as in Guatemala, Guiana, Ecuador, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Chile, Nicaragua, Grenada, El Salvador, Haiti, Venezuela, etc etc etc etc!  And this is just in Central and South America.   History tells it all clearly.  ????

USA history is a very mixed checker board... good and bad.

History tells it all clearly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mania said:

Beware this "business investments" is the excuse they used to overthrow Hawaii's Monarchy

(Although it was Hawaii's fault for allowing Falangs/Haoles to own business in Hawaii)

That aside Run Thailand Run!

Be the Switzerland of Asia meaning a neutral country... Never allow USA nor China to tell you to bend over & spell RUN ????

Hawaii in the 1890's was a  vulnerable, strategically valuable asset during the age of empires.  Things are different now.

• Haha 1