Australia to introduce national ban on Nazi symbols in effort to crack down on far-right groups

Social Media

What a terrible idea.   Are Australians really so delicate that the mere sight of a historical symbol will give them the vapors?  I think they are stronger than that.  Better to let these cranks and idiots in public and ridicule them rather than drive them underground.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

...and how about far left wing ideologies? They going to ban the hammer and sickle soon? Or pictures of Mao or Che Guevara?

Tolerance is one of the cornerstones of a diverse and free society. A couple morons waving the flags of a defeated nation won't have any influence at all. Just laugh at them and ignore them. By giving them a grievance you only make them feel persecuted.

Unfortunately you're incorrect. There some neo Nazi groups in Australia who create problems.. One assumes you're aware that Western intelligence agencies, including Australia, have identified far right groups as one of the current  primary threats.

BTW the Australian Constitution does not explicitly protect "Free Speech".

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Unfortunately you're incorrect. There some neo Nazi groups in Australia who create problems.. One assumes you're aware that Western intelligence agencies, including Australia, have identified far right groups as one of the current  primary threats.

BTW the Australian Constitution does not explicitly protect "Free Speech".

More the pity that the constitution does not do that. Sadly few countries do. 

But banning public display of symbols will do nothing to curtail the activities of these idiots. Just make them feel more outraged and feed their conspiracy theory nonsense.  The only way to fight a bad idea is with a better one. Don't add fuel to the fire by giving them any reason to feel hard done by, especially by the government. 

Plus the law also bans the private sale of this kind of thing, for whatever the reason. So if collector A wants to sell his old German flag to collector B, he is breaking the law.  So not just a speech issue, but one of business as well.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

What a terrible idea.   Are Australians really so delicate that the mere sight of a historical symbol will give them the vapors?  I think they are stronger than that.  Better to let these cranks and idiots in public and ridicule them rather than drive them underground.

Catching any fish?

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

More the pity that the constitution does not do that. Sadly few countries do. 

But banning public display of symbols will do nothing to curtail the activities of these idiots. Just make them feel more outraged and feed their conspiracy theory nonsense.  The only way to fight a bad idea is with a better one. Don't add fuel to the fire by giving them any reason to feel hard done by, especially by the government. 

Plus the law also bans the private sale of this kind of thing, for whatever the reason. So if collector A wants to sell his old German flag to collector B, he is breaking the law.  So not just a speech issue, but one of business as well.

Perhaps pity and sadness for Australians is not necessary!

'We have the right to say what we want — to give our opinions, advertise, and protest — but within limits. we aren’t allowed to say fighting words, slander another person’s name, cause a panic, or incite violence, for example'.

Free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want, wherever. Here's how to explain this to kids (theconversation.com)

The amount of activity and conspiracy nonsense with these groups in US would not suggest that your laissez- faire tolerance approach has been that successful.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Perhaps pity and sadness for Australians is not necessary!

'We have the right to say what we want — to give our opinions, advertise, and protest — but within limits. we aren’t allowed to say fighting words, slander another person’s name, cause a panic, or incite violence, for example'.

Free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want, wherever. Here's how to explain this to kids (theconversation.com)

The amount of activity and conspiracy nonsense with these groups in US would not suggest that your laissez- faire tolerance approach has been that successful.

Those specific limits are also limits in most countries. But they do not apply to the new law. This legislation creates a talismanic kind of fear in certain articles that they dont deserve.   I could be just walking down the street quietly, wearing my SS t-shirt, and be arrested.  For wearing a t-shirt.  

I am always wary of bringing the power of the State against people for their thoughts, however repugnant. You can't kill an idea by removing its trappings. 

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

...and how about far left wing ideologies? They going to ban the hammer and sickle soon? Or pictures of Mao or Che Guevara?

Tolerance is one of the cornerstones of a diverse and free society. A couple morons waving the flags of a defeated nation won't have any influence at all. Just laugh at them and ignore them. By giving them a grievance you only make them feel persecuted.

Tolerance for Nazi symbology?!

It’s not a flag of a defeated nation, it’s the symbology of an ideology of hatred, which has definitely not been defeated.

If you want to wear a Nazi Swastika don’t go to Australia.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Those specific limits are also limits in most countries. But they do not apply to the new law. This legislation creates a talismanic kind of fear in certain articles that they dont deserve.   I could be just walking down the street quietly, wearing my SS t-shirt, and be arrested.  For wearing a t-shirt.  

I am always wary of bringing the power of the State against people for their thoughts, however repugnant. You can't kill an idea by removing its trappings. 

Arguing I am always wary of bringing the power of the State against people for their thoughts, however repugnant. You can't kill an idea by removing its trappings.” In defense of the Nazi Swastika.

It takes a certain kind of ignorance to take such a position.

The willful type.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not a flag of a defeated nation, it’s the symbology of an ideology of hatred, which has definitely not been defeated.

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Would you say the same for symbols of communism? Al Qaeda?  Any number of hate groups in the world.  

I would say that Naziism is definitely defeated. You could take every neoNazi in Australia and they wouldn't even fill a minor league soccer stadium.  Any you won't do them any harm by this law either.  

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Would you say the same for symbols of communism? Al Qaeda?  Any number of hate groups in the world.  

I would say that Naziism is definitely defeated. You could take every neoNazi in Australia and they wouldn't even fill a minor league soccer stadium.  Any you won't do them any harm by this law either.  

Since when has communism been a ‘hate group’?

Al Qaeda is a terrorist organization, I think you’ll find parading any of their ideas in public gets a response from law enforcement, perhaps even national security.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Since when has communism been a ‘hate group’?

Al Qaeda is a terrorist organization, I think you’ll find parading any of their ideas in public gets a response from law enforcement, perhaps even national security.

This article says the ISIS flag has been displayed more than 300 times in New South Wales alone.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/islamic-state-flag-flown-over-300-times-in-nsw-in-last-six-years-20211130-p59dje.html

and with no penalty. 

And communism has been a hate group since its inception. Ask the 100 million who died as a result.  The hammer and sickle are just as repugnant as the swastika. 

Nah, if you want to emasculate and lessen the impact of hate groups, the way to do so is not legal.  Laugh at them, ridicule them, ignore them, defeat their ideas in the court of public opinion. But don't give them the 'cool factor' of being outlaws. 

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

This article says the ISIS flag has been displayed more than 300 times in New South Wales alone.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/islamic-state-flag-flown-over-300-times-in-nsw-in-last-six-years-20211130-p59dje.html

and with no penalty. 

And communism has been a hate group since its inception. Ask the 100 million who died as a result.  The hammer and sickle are just as repugnant as the swastika. 

Nah, if you want to emasculate and lessen the impact of hate groups, the way to do so is not legal.  Laugh at them, ridicule them, ignore them, defeat their ideas in the court of public opinion. But don't give them the 'cool factor' of being outlaws. 

I’d ban the ISIS flag too.

Communism isn’t a hate group, stop embarrassing yourself.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

50 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Did I waste my time posting a reference to support my claims?

Where is Australia 'bringing the power of the State against people for their thoughts' ?

Under the new law this has not changed :

'In Australia, freedom of opinion gives us the right to hold a belief without interference, exception or restriction. We have the right to believe anything we want. We can believe the earth is flat or that alien cabals rule the world.'

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, LosLobo said:

Did I waste my time posting a reference to support my claims?

Where is Australia 'bringing the power of the State against people for their thoughts' ?

Under the new law this has not changed :

'In Australia, freedom of opinion gives us the right to hold a belief without interference, exception or restriction. We have the right to believe anything we want. We can believe the earth is flat or that alien cabals rule the world.'

Actually it is worse than that. It is bringing the power of the State to bear on people for their choice of attire or for what they carry peacefully. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’d ban the ISIS flag too.

Somehow I am not surprised.  

So you would be OK with banning symbols of the Soviet Union as well? A seriously hate filled regime that killed millions of innocent people. Or Chairman Mao, another monster responsible for tens of millions of deaths. 

I am curious where your pruning of symbols from public view would end. 

5 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Or as U.S. southerners might say, an "Aryan heritage" symbol.

It wasn't WW2. It was the war of Jewish aggression.

There is nothing wrong with the 'swatika', it means 'auspicious thing' in Sanskrit, it's the reason Thais say 'sawatdee' -  they share the same root.

Google 'Phraya Uppakit' who coined the phrase, from Sanskrit 90 years ago. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Somehow I am not surprised.  

So you would be OK with banning symbols of the Soviet Union as well? A seriously hate filled regime that killed millions of innocent people. Or Chairman Mao, another monster responsible for tens of millions of deaths. 

I am curious where your pruning of symbols from public view would end. 

Communism is not a hate group, give it up already.

The Soviet Union did kill millions of Nazis, perhaps that’s your gripe?!

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Communism is not a hate group, give it up already.

The Soviet Union did kill millions of Nazis, perhaps that’s your gripe?!

Killed millions of Germans, anyway. Definitely killed millions MORE of their own citizens. 

So do you want to ban Soviet symbology too?