Dengue fever on the rise, more elderly people being infected

Cover-Images-for-MAIN-WEB-Thai-PBS-World-logo-5-1.png

Dengue fever cases are steadily rising and not only among children. 18,000 elderly people have caught the disease in the first five months of this year, according to Dr. Thongchai Keeratihattayakorn, director-general of the Medical Services Department.

He said that the change of weather conditions, induced by the El Niño phenomenon, will increase dengue cases, which may persist for over two years, as he emphasised the need for research, treatment and prevention to contain the disease and to protect lives.

According to the Disease Control Department, 15 fatalities have been reported out of the 18,173 dengue cases during the first five months of this year. 6,088 cases are in 5-14 age group and 4,247 cases are 15-24. Most cases are being found in Trat, Nan, Chanthaburi, Mae Hong Son and Rayong provinces.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/dengue-fever-on-the-rise-more-elderly-people-being-infected/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thanks 1

Dengue is a truly nasty disease, attacking both young and old, and with a significant mortality rate.

Even dengue pales in comparison with Japanese encephalitis, another mosquito-borne disease, which has a 25% mortality rate in symptomatic cases, and many more will have lifelong disability.

Fortunately there is a very effective, long-established and safe vaccine, which I guess is routinely given to Thai children.

5 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

Dengue is a truly nasty disease, attacking both young and old, and with a significant mortality rate.

Even dengue pales in comparison with Japanese encephalitis, another mosquito-borne disease, which has a 25% mortality rate in symptomatic cases, and many more will have lifelong disability.

Fortunately there is a very effective, long-established and safe vaccine, which I guess is routinely given to Thai children.

Not that I know of, no children or young people in my sphere of knowledge in Phuket have ever been offered a vaccine. The only thing I found was this:

Dengue vaccine for travelers/foreigners in Thailand: Should I get it?
Update 1 December 2017: The vaccine company (Sanofi) has just published a press release informed that dengue vaccine might increase the risk to develop severe disease if given to someone who never had dengue infection before. 

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/blog/travel-medicine-issue/dengue-vaccine-for-travelersforeigners-in-thailand-should-i-get-it.html

More info here about it also:

https://www.pidst.or.th/A606.html

• Thanks 1

Old tyres with water in them etc, etc all over the place. You would think in a tropical country people would clean up these breading grounds but it just doesn't happen. Problem is people just don't clean up anything. Very dirty country when it come to rubbish/garbage.

The Thai idea of drainage is a number of chambers which overflow into the next & so on down the line.  For nine months of the year they are part full of stagnant water providing perfect breeding grounds for the 400 eggs each female can lay.

• Like 1