Report Mae Sai border run

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Great report, thanks. 

Out of morbid curiosity, would it be worthwhile to hang out a night or two in Tachileik? If yes, what currency could I use there, only kyat, or also baht and dollars?

I have not spent time in Tachileik for a long time. In the past, there was not much to do except shop (which you can do in a few hours without staying overnight). If interested in nightlife and Burmese women, that is easier on the Thai side in Mae Sai.

Dollars are welcome, baht acceptable but at unfavourable exchange rates. You may well get change only in kyat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Guys, can you clarify this thing: Do you need to pay for a Myanmar visa? Or you just pay $10 for a border pass and that's it?

It’s just a pass, a visa is , was, 30$ . I used to go often. Visas are done in Bangkok embassy. I think you can get them online nowadays but surely difficult since the military coup. 

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Great report, thanks. 

Out of morbid curiosity, would it be worthwhile to hang out a night or two in Tachileik? If yes, what currency could I use there, only kyat, or also baht and dollars?

Thai baht is widely accepted, try to avoid getting change in local currency.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, geisha said:

It’s just a pass, a visa is , was, 30$ . I used to go often. Visas are done in Bangkok embassy. I think you can get them online nowadays but surely difficult since the military coup. 

So you need a visa AND border pass at the same time?

22 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Out of morbid curiosity, would it be worthwhile to hang out a night or two in Tachileik? 

I crossed the border last month at Mae Sai, I live in Chiang Rai so I just rode my bicycle there and then cycled into Tachiliek and just rode around for an hour before going back to Thailand.  The place is a complete mess aside from the golf course, which looked really nice, I just couldn’t imagine spending any time there.  

• Like 2

You rode your bicycle from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai?  How long does it take?  Allow you to just take your bike across the border? You're a better man than me,  don't think I could ride a bicycle around the corner to the 7-11.

Thank you for this report and the others who added their thoughts.

My first ever 90 day dash is coming up soon (Visit Thai Family Visa multi entry) and I'll be driving myself from Chiang Mai. 

I like this visa because I dislike the marriage and/or retirement extensions increasing tyranny, but it's a pain to get it renewed in Savannakhet (though highly recommended!) because of the long road trip, the expense of that, and a mandatory overnight, although I liked Savannakhet more than I thought I would. There's great local coffee to be enjoyed -and brought back home!  

Seventy plus years after the French left, traces of their charming architecture and culture remain. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

You rode your bicycle from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai?  How long does it take?  Allow you to just take your bike across the border?

From where we live to the border is about 48 km, that took about 3 hours incline a rest break.  No problem taking a bike across but it was a bit confusing as I didn’t know the process but it quickly got sorted out.  The tough part was just riding around in Burma as they drive on the right but even though I’m American I’m just used to that and the crappy roads didn’t help.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I did a painless border bounce at Mae Sai / Tachileik last week, as it was reported today on the Thai Visa Advice FB group that this checkpoint (as well as Mai Sot) are now temporarily closed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

Glad I did a painless border bounce at Mae Sai / Tachileik last week, as it was reported today on the Thai Visa Advice FB group that this checkpoint (as well as Mai Sot) are now temporarily closed.

Is there any information on that group about the current situation at Ranong? Are border bounces there still possible?

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Is there any information on that group about the current situation at Ranong? Are border bounces there still possible?

Yes, in fact the FB Group Moderator mentioned earlier today as follows:

"At this time the only Burma border open is the Ranong / Kawthaung".
Edited by mark5335
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 12:01 PM, mark5335 said:

Yes, in fact the FB Group Moderator mentioned earlier today as follows:

"At this time the only Burma border open is the Ranong / Kawthaung".

Has anybody used the Ranong border for a bounce? I'm in Chumphon now, and I'm going to try the border in the morning... 

On 7/6/2023 at 9:31 PM, MaiDong said:

Has anybody used the Ranong border for a bounce? I'm in Chumphon now, and I'm going to try the border in the morning... 

How did your border bounce at Ranong go?

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

How did your border bounce at Ranong go?

Not so great! I only read the date on my stamp, which was the 7th of July, but my visa expired on the 3rd.

Immigration first offered me a 'special package' of 30 days upon my return across the river, with no questions asked regarding B10,000 and an onward ticket, for B2,800, then kindly offered me a 'special price' of B2,600, which I declined, and rode the 600kms home again!

I'm off to Laos imminently to get a new visa.

So, the border crossing is still open should anybody be interested, I just didn't use their services.

3 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Not so great! I only read the date on my stamp, which was the 7th of July, but my visa expired on the 3rd.

Immigration first offered me a 'special package' of 30 days upon my return across the river, with no questions asked regarding B10,000 and an onward ticket, for B2,800, then kindly offered me a 'special price' of B2,600, which I declined, and rode the 600kms home again!

I'm off to Laos imminently to get a new visa.

So, the border crossing is still open should anybody be interested, I just didn't use their services.

It seems you were entitled to a visa exempt entry by land (i.e. they were not offering to help you circumvent the rules on two visa exempt entries per calendar year by land). Under those circumstances, I am surprised they felt able to extort money from you. Did they tell you you would have to spend the night in Myanmar if you wanted a visa exempt entry, before offering you a special deal for same day re-entry?

On going to Laos for a visa, there are some considerations to be aware of. In Vientiane, you need an appointment. In Savannakhet, you will be fine if applying for a Non O visa, but they are very strict now about granting tourist visas.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

It seems you were entitled to a visa exempt entry by land (i.e. they were not offering to help you circumvent the rules on two visa exempt entries per calendar year by land). Under those circumstances, I am surprised they felt able to extort money from you. Did they tell you you would have to spend the night in Myanmar if you wanted a visa exempt entry, before offering you a special deal for same day re-entry?

On going to Laos for a visa, there are some considerations to be aware of. In Vientiane, you need an appointment. In Savannakhet, you will be fine if applying for a Non O visa, but they are very strict now about granting tourist visas.

I'm not totally sure about vis exempt etc, but they didn't say anything about it, I was gone in a flash, long trip back.

I'm heading to Savannakhet for a Non-O.

It would appear from this thread that the TM6 form is still required for border bounces. So presumably prospective border bouncers who last entered Thailand by air since the TM6 requirement was scrapped for incoming air travellers a year ago will need to provide freshly-completed TM6 forms both before exiting Thailand and again upon re-entry?

On 7/8/2023 at 7:52 AM, OJAS said:

It would appear from this thread that the TM6 form is still required for border bounces. So presumably prospective border bouncers who last entered Thailand by air since the TM6 requirement was scrapped for incoming air travellers a year ago will need to provide freshly-completed TM6 forms both before exiting Thailand and again upon re-entry?

Having flown in, I wasn't asked for a TM6 when I left at Mae Sai. I submitted mine when I flew out 1-2 weeks ago at BKK. I like to think whoever is working passport control knows how someone arrived into Thailand and subsequently whether a TM6 was issued (land/sea--yes, air-no). Then again, TiT.

On 7/8/2023 at 6:52 PM, OJAS said:

While I cannot confirm this for certain, if you entered by air, I do not think you will be required to complete a TM6 before leaving by land. You still need to complete a TM6 if entering by land.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 4:40 AM, geisha said:

visas ONLINE are $50 + u need government covid insurance
not difficult at all, https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/
I've gotten 7  since 2015

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

While I cannot confirm this for certain, if you entered by air, I do not think you will be required to complete a TM6 before leaving by land. You still need to complete a TM6 if entering by land.

I think you are absolutely correct based on my experience.

On 7/10/2023 at 5:50 AM, CWA14 said:

Having flown in, I wasn't asked for a TM6 when I left at Mae Sai. I submitted mine when I flew out 1-2 weeks ago at BKK. I like to think whoever is working passport control knows how someone arrived into Thailand and subsequently whether a TM6 was issued (land/sea--yes, air-no). Then again, TiT.

I flew in and was also not asked for TM6 when exiting at Mae Sai.  But was required fill out TM6 when entering at Mae Sai.