Retirement Visa Renewal Rules

Can the Ret Visa (extension to O/A, rather) be reversed?

You need a work permit first before you can get an extension of stay for employment, but you cannot get a WP while you are on an extension for retirement. Therefore, the procedure, as I see it, would be: get job offer, go to a Thai consulate with all required documents and get non-B, get WP, get extension for employment. An alternative would be to re-enter Thailand on a tourist visa, get WP, change visa status to non-O (at Immigration office), get extension for employment.

--

Maestro

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so visa extension. I asked for the extension based on caring for a Thai spouse because I didn't wish to travel to Bangkok. Which I believe is the rule for the retiree's application for an extension. So now I am being told by local immigration to go to Bangkok, will I be able to change my basis for application to the retirees case? Given that I have had to email my old employers to provide proof to immigration, of a monthly pension being sent to Thailand.

Immigration seems to prefer a man over 50 to be on a retirement extension rather than on a marriage extension because it makes their work easier. However, there is no real reason for them to refuse you a extension for “living with Thai wife”, seeing that you qualify.

It is unusual that your local Immigration office should ask you to go to Bangkok for the marriage extension, since part of the approval process is a visit by an Immigration officer to your house. See if you can talk to another officer at your local office, or call the hotline 1111 (ask for Immigration Bureau) for clarification. If in the end the decision is that Immigration will not let you move directly from retirement extension to marriage extension, you will have to leave the country, get a new visa (non-O), re-enter on this new visa (not on a re-entry permit based on your old extension), then start the process of applying at your local Immigration office for the retirement extension.

You can, of course, go to Bangkok now to apply, but it involves more than one visit for the extension every year. Or is it possible that you misunderstood them, that they said they will have to forward your application to Bangkok? This is the case with a marriage extension; unlike the retirement extension it is not approved immediately. When applying, you first get a 30-day extension “under consideration”, then perhaps one or mores such 30-day extensions until the approval from Bangkok arrives.

Also for retirement extensions there is no rule that they can be issued only in Bangkok. Every Immigration office is issuing them.

--

Maestro

No, they sent the docs last week then called us yesterday. I definately have to go up to Bangkok. I have no other officer I can speak with it's only a small place, and the extensions is her dept. The retirees case was my prefered option, it was just to avoid this trip that I went with the wife option. :o

So, if I understand you correctly, it is for the retirement extension that your local Immigration office sends you to Bangkok; for the marriage extension they agree to accept your application locally.

Care to tell which Immigration office this is, for the knowledge of others? It has been said on other occasions that each office seems to be making up its own rules and it is useful to know which office does what.

--

Maestro

I can echo Maestro's point about "support extension" vs "retirement.

My local Imm Office simply made it difficult for me to prove the 40k income, unless I brought the money into Thailand. For numerous reasons, I don't want to do that, although I can demonstrate more than twice the income.

"Wait for your Multi-entry visa to expire (including the "bonus 90 days) and then go to Penang three times and get three single entry Non O's. That'll cover you until next year when you reach 50. Then apply for a retirement extension."

As simple, or as difficult, as that. They simply don't want to process my marriage/support extension. (Unless I enrich their banks coffers with 40k a month). We spend that most months, drawing on my bank account back home. It just seems that the Thais want to have their cake and it as well.

That's life for me here.

Sorry, a bit of a rant over.

My local Imm Office simply made it difficult for me to prove the 40k income, unless I brought the money into Thailand...

It is rather astonishing that after nine months some Immigration officials still have not come to grips with the new rules. What makes it worse it that when they are in doubt they do not call head office for clarification. Face, I guess. But what about their face if right there in the Immigration office you call Immigration head office, receive confirmation that no evidence of monthly transfers of 40k is required, then pass the phone to the officer for head office to confirm it to her directly?

It's hearing about cases like yours that annoys me. The Immigration website has an online message form but I wonder whether, if such case were reported there, head office would educate the officer in question.

--

Maestro

Good points Maestro.

There's nothing I would like more than to get the extension in BKK and walk into my local office and ask for the 90 day report.

"Face" - well I've got to live here and I'm not ready to make them look bad.

I did call 1111 (think it was that) on Lopburi3's advice. Honestly, I got a lady who hadn't got a clue about the situation and eventually confirmed that the 40k+ had to be transferred to a Thai bank acocunt.

"Er, yes. The money's got to come into Thailand".

"Why?"

"Because we want to be sure that you are taking care of your wife".

"But, a transfer of 40k+ a month dosn't guarantee anything. And if you're worried about how I treat my wife - just ask her".

Anyway, BKK here I come in a few months. I'll speak to Soi Suan Plu and then take it from there.

I feel like a bloody yoyo. They appear to be accepting the money in the bank and monthly company pension option,(After the compny confirmed my pension.) My wife does not have to pay tax, which is a relief. She didn't want to be the only Thai in La-Un not on the government payroll paying tax :D . I do not now have to go to BKK, so it is the extension based on caring for SWMBO. Me 'ed's throbbing 'n' I haven't touched a drop yet.

Had a quick chat with an American guy living in Chumphon, he'd only come down to have his address confirmed to renew his driving licence. The same lady that dealt with me was mucking him about royally it seemed, he'd been waiting an hour when I waltzed in. The poor sod was there when I left. :o I'm sure that bit only took me 10 mins last year.

Thanks for all the info.

I spoke to a (Thai) girl at the UK Embassy. It didn't sound like they would grill u for heavy proof of income. Bank statements from the net could be ok. She was casual, even. The fee is 2488b or somethg odd like that (for the letter).

Does anyone know about the timing of all this IF leaving a gvmt school? I don't wanna resign until I know that I have the Ret Extension. Then I leave in 2 or 3 weeks. Means that there may be overlap...working while retired, a little while. I wd rather this than resign and then have cock-ups, I would not wish to un-resign.

What about the WP? Do I take that back to the WP office? Will it show that I have been working while retired?

PEd

Get the letter from your Embassy, then quite, then apply for retirement extension of stay. It takes only a few minutes (queue time could be several hours in Bangkok). The issue of extension of stay is immediate.

Thanks Lopburi

I understand that the extension becomes immediate, as I walk out of Immig.

My problem concerns work and resignation. I was interested in the timing of quitting. If i change from a NonImm B (work) to the Ext, then surely i cant work from that moment.

It's chicken and egg. I want to get the Ext and then leave the job (a gvmt school). I dont want to resign and then have some problems with getting "retirement"...just to be on the safe side.

Can I get the ret ext, then carry on for about 10 days working? I will leave on jul 31. What about the WP?

thanks

PEd

You would need a new work permit to work on a different extension of stay and it would not be issued. Do not believe you should try to blindside anyone (and it is not necessary).

Are you on an extension of stay or are you making 90 day visa runs? If visa runs you just quit and when down to 4 weeks or less remaining obtain your extension for retirement. If you are over age 50 and have 65k income or 800k in bank or combination you will not have a problem getting your extension of stay. In a worst case you can easily visit Penang or Vientiane to obtain a new non immigrant O visa (or even a tourist visa - or even a 30 day visa exempt stamp). Immigration can provide retirement extensions for any of those (but tourist and non visa have an extra 2,000 baht step to obtain the non immigrant visa).

I am gvmt employed on a 1 year NonImm B and WP all done for me. No runs ever.

If I leave, I will not work out 2 mths official notice. The leaving will be within about 10 days. they will prfer this rather than quit 4 weeks into term-time.

Can I get my Ext about 10 days B4 I quit, and then work on without saying anything apart from having given the 10 days' notice?

PEd

And you heard this where? From who? And the exact wording was? What was the question that got this response?

I do not believe it at all and would like to understand how this understanding you have came about. Was this told directly to you? Thanks.

And you heard this where? From who? And the exact wording was? What was the question that got this response?

I do not believe it at all and would like to understand how this understanding you have came about. Was this told directly to you? Thanks.

I wrote Thai immigration. I got my passport back today with an extension for one year.

I asked the officer at table 8 of Jomtien Immigration, whether the regulations for a

Farang married to a Thai wife had changed or not. He told me, in the future - according

to new regulations - these extensions were only given, if the applicant had a workpermit.

So there are two main changes: this one and the new regulation, to renew the paper from

the embassy about your pension every year again.

Edited by phennecke

I asked the officer at table 8 of Jomtien Immigration, whether the regulations for a

Farang married to a Thai wife had changed or not.

I don't see any mention of retirement in the above conversation. The rules for marriage extensions have changed and now only 40k family income is accepted for new applicants rather then the choice of 400k/40k. Believe she was probably referring to that.

I don't see any mention of retirement in the above conversation. The rules for marriage extensions have changed and now only 40k family income is accepted for new applicants rather then the choice of 400k/40k. Believe she was probably referring to that.

Up to you. :o

I am approaching the second renewal of my retirement visa. Last time I had the bank certificate showing that I had 800,000 baht plus for the week before reporting. I had the medical certificate from the local clinic and photcopies of passport, bank account and application with picture.

I have been told there are new rules about length of 800,000 baht in the bank and doctor's certificate (not needed). I can not find a written listing of retirement visa renewal rules and calling Immigration has been a total run a round. Can anyone direct me to the exact written rules. Thanks

http://pattaya-immigration.e-webonline.com...0%20%20%20%2019

Go here

It says Retirement Visa

this is the official Thai Immigration website

so if they are calling a chicken a chicken then i guess we can too

READ ON

RETIREMENT VISA

Application for Non Immigrant Visa Retirement :

Permission will be garanted for a period of not more than 1 year time.

1.The alien obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

2. The applicant is 50 years of age or over

3. Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

3.1 Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than Baht 800,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months; or

3.2 Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 8000,000 as of the filling date of application

4 For an alien who entered Thailand before october 21, 1998 and continuously allowed to stay in the Kingdom as a retiree, the following shal apply :

(a).He/she must be 60 years of age or over and has regular income. His/her bank account deposit shall not be less than Baht 200,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown; or he/she has a monthly income of not less than 20,000.

(:D. If he/she is under 60 years of age but not less than 55, the alien shall have regular income with a bank account deposit of not less than Baht 500,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown, or he/she has a monthly income of not less than Baht 50,000.

Document required :

- Application form

- Copy of the applicant's passport

- Proof of income, e.g., retirment pension, interest earning or dividends, etc.;

- Certificate of local bank account deposit together with copies of bank account records

- Only in the case set out in clause 4, the same documentation as started in clause 1-3 above shall be required.

Spelling is correct :o

Thanks, interesting.

I plan to do the income 65k route, not make a bank deposit

Must the monthly income of 65,000 be shown to be remitted or credited to the Thai current account? Or can the income be shown as going to the UK or anywhere?

P

The website that calls itself the current Pattaya Immigration site and who use Pattaya Immigration Copyright is http://www.pattaya-immigration.org/index.php?lang=EN and they identify the extension of stay as that. The site you link has a "Copyright © 2003 Weareserver group all rights reserved". In any event what Immigration provides is an extension of stay.

There is no requirement for transfer of money. Immigration may want to see a passbook bank account book and the bank letter even if using the 65k/Embassy letter but that may vary from officer to officer and not be a real requirement. And up until this time people are not being required to have the 800k in a bank account for 3 months prior to application if they are already in the system - this may well change later in the year. Medical is not required for renewals.

Up to you. :D

Stupid Chicken. :o:D

Florida, do not panic. What immigration office are you using?

There hasn't been even one report here of immigration enforcing the three month in the bank rule on people doing subsequent renewals, as you are doing. If you know of one or it is happened to you, please speak up. There is strong evidence they are indeed enforcing it on first time extensions. This indicates you will be fine and get your extension. Please report back!

Lopburi feels this may start to be enforced in October on subsequent renewals. I strongly question this. Of course, nobody can predict the future.

I keep trying to suggest that everyone doing these extensions based on bank account ask their officer about this, so I do see this as another opportunity to open this can of worms again, but people don't seem to be biting. Funny that.

everyone HERE IN PHUkET for retirement EXTRENSION needs to show 800,000 in the bank for three months ( be this your first extension or your 12th) or 65,000 baht/month pension, ( for americans a notorized note from the US Embassy backed up by the bank book showing that the 65,000 comes in ) or combination of the two

This is STRICTLY enforced!!!

Edited by phuketrichard

Florida, do not panic. What immigration office are you using?

There hasn't been even one report here of immigration enforcing the three month in the bank rule on people doing subsequent renewals, as you are doing. If you know of one or it is happened to you, please speak up. There is strong evidence they are indeed enforcing it on first time extensions. This indicates you will be fine and get your extension. Please report back!

Lopburi feels this may start to be enforced in October on subsequent renewals. I strongly question this. Of course, nobody can predict the future.

I keep trying to suggest that everyone doing these extensions based on bank account ask their officer about this, so I do see this as another opportunity to open this can of worms again, but people don't seem to be biting. Funny that.

everyone HERE IN PHUkET for retirement EXTRENSION needs to show 800,000 in the bank for three months ( be this your first extension or your 12th) or 65,000 baht/month pension, ( for americans a notorized note from the US Embassy backed up by the bank book showing that the 65,000 comes in ) or combination of the two

This is STRICTLY enforced!!!

Thanks for that report from Phuket. There are different reports from Jomtien. Still, you say this, but so far not one person saying they tried to apply without the 3 month seasoning (not a first timer) who was actually denied. Still waiting ... And waiting ...