do u guys usually smile to the staff / waiters when u go buy / eat / shop ?

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

maybe they understand that they are people too. Old, ugly, they still have feelings and if a smile makes them feel good and appreciated as a person - why not? 

Because of what I hear those types saying about me, talking about me as if I'm not there or am deaf. They are only after one thing.  Saying nothing tells them to leave me alone in the future.

Maybe give them one of the 13 smiles, similar to the one they give me, that most farang can't interpret.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Confused 1

I was having a massage yesterday and some Korean guy farted. Too much fermented kim chi for lunch. The staff didn't stop talking about it for 10 minutes. They talk about every customer and anyone who walks by - in between talking about what they will have to eat next snack. They like to make fun of me as well. Maybe it's my rugged good looks. Or maybe it's because I am always good natured and joke with them.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 1

Eye contact does it for me every time. 

No I'm not being lascivious, smiling is one thing, but eye contact is quite another.

I don't think it's shyness, because the girls at checkouts in particular, have dead-eyes even as they ???????? and look away.

Sometimes I wonder if they're just exhausted by incel jerks who endlessly leer back at them, and have just given up sharing any of their true personality. 

The waitresses have a financial stake in being sweet, but sadly, I think the reality in their hearts is more like the Checkout experience. 

I am  not trolling , , I have been here awhile and even when i go out with my thai friends to eat , I notice they dont really smile at service staff , which in turn make me feel its normal just to show a poker ( normal ) face when ordering food .

Maybe its just me that i dont smile. But i thnk i should try. cos sometimes when I do smile I will get a smile in return.

Pardon me again for those who feel that I am trying to troll. cos when i frist came here to thailand I felt that almost everyone is smiling . but or its just me that been here for a while and feel that its normal not to smile at strangers .

anyyway I really appreciate all the replie.s 

Edited by bluebanana
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Eye contact does it for me every time. 

No I'm not being lascivious, smiling is one thing, but eye contact is quite another.

I don't think it's shyness, because the girls at checkouts in particular, have dead-eyes even as they ???????? and look away.

Sometimes I wonder if they're just exhausted by incel jerks who endlessly leer back at them, and have just given up sharing any of their true personality. 

The waitresses have a financial stake in being sweet, but sadly, I think the reality in their hearts is more like the Checkout experience. 

i really notice this also when i go to super markets , they like dont really give eye contact much. 7-11 are better and friendlier . no idea why

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sirineou said:

A smile is the best investment you can ever make.The returns go through the roof and the cost is negligible. 

Advice: any time you can do something that costs nothing and has great returns you should do it.

In addition , aside from making others feel better, a smile changes your brain chemistry and makes you feel better. 

So a win win situation.

thanks , probably Im not such a smiley person . maybe I should do what u say to make myself and others feel better too 

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I was having a massage yesterday and some Korean guy farted. Too much fermented kim chi for lunch. The staff didn't stop talking about it for 10 minutes. They talk about every customer and anyone who walks by - in between talking about what they will have to eat next snack. They like to make fun of me as well. Maybe it's my rugged good looks. Or maybe it's because I am always good natured and joke with them.

No No, It's your rugged  good looks!! I have the same problem. maybe we can get together and form a support group . 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Believe it or not , when activating your smile muscles it changes your brain chemistry,

"When you smile, your brain releases tiny molecules called neuropeptides to help fight off stress. Then other neurotransmitters like dopamine, serotonin and endorphins come into play too. The endorphins act as a mild pain reliever, whereas the serotonin is an antidepressant. "

https://www.sclhealth.org/blog/2019/06/the-real-health-benefits-of-smiling-and-laughing/#:~:text=When you smile%2C your brain,the serotonin is an antidepressant.

There is even evidence that faking a smile makes positive changes to your brain chemistry

"  when the participants simply mimicked a smile, they felt happier. Researchers say our brains look to our facial expressions to understand how we are feeling. Smiling tells our brains we are happy or feeling good. Scowling sends the message we're feeling bad."

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/faking-a-smile-could-make-you-feel-happier-study-stanford/#:~:text=After putting them through a,message we're feeling bad.

Finally

Why a Pencil in Your Mouth Can Make You Happier

image.png.728e9db8bb98a54142adb1cad01c3baa.png

https://brightside.me/wonder-curiosities/why-a-pencil-in-your-mouth-can-make-you-happier-799018/

i have not been feeling great for personal reasons. thats one of the reason I dont smile as much i guess . thanks for this  / 

probably when i dont smile others find me not approchable and they like dont smile back . I usually only smile when others smile at me . 

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I suggest you go and find yourself a 'professional' masseuse who pays attention to her work with exclusion of anything and everything that's going on around her. They're not easy to find but they are out there.

4 minutes ago, bluebanana said:

i have not been feeling great for personal reasons. thats one of the reason I dont smile as much i guess . thanks for this  / 

probably when i dont smile others find me not approchable and they like dont smile back . I usually only smile when others smile at me . 

Do some reading on the subject. Google it. 

Also smiling makes you appear more confident and competent . 

Try it, Go in the bathroom look in the mirror and smile to yourself. I promise  you would feel better,

The process is backed by our world famous No money back guarantee, ????

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bluebanana said:

do u guys usually smile to the staff / waiters when u go buy / eat / shop ?

What a sad post this is and appalling English with which to present it.

Here's a tip for you buddy. 'Smile and the whole world smiles with you, frown and no one give a damn about you'. (my own paraphrase)

• Sad 1

Think its their lucky day, you lucky lucky, did they slip you a few shekels. A smile aye, next you'll be saying "Well hello there", bloody favoritism.

Smiling at people, what's the world coming to, must think the sun shines out of your <deleted>.

always look on the bright side doodoo doodoo doodoodoodoodoodoo   

• Like 1