do u guys usually smile to the staff / waiters when u go buy / eat / shop ?

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Because of what I hear those types saying about me, talking about me as if I'm not there or am deaf. They are only after one thing.  Saying nothing tells them to leave me alone in the future.

Maybe give them one of the 13 smiles, similar to the one they give me, that most farang can't interpret.

what are they saying? Are these ladies you know? 

Seems to me mostly they want a customer and say the same thing to everyone... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

what are they saying? Are these ladies you know? 

Seems to me mostly they want a customer and say the same thing to everyone... 

Things like, 'he looks miserable', 'he's a hunk', 'he looks like he's been here a while', I've heard it all. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Things like, 'he looks miserable', 'he's a hunk', 'he looks like he's been here a while', I've heard it all. 

you speak Thai, why not answer with something funny - for me, I feel better when I can leave smiles and laughter in my wake... 

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

you speak Thai, why not answer with something funny - for me, I feel better when I can leave smiles and laughter in my wake... 

TBH, I can't be arsed these days. I used to but maybe due to age, I'm cantankerous now ???? Maybe it's self-importance, you're right maybe, I'll try to say something funny next time. 

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Miss out "the hunk" bit and I would believe it! 

And as for being cantankerous, surely not you......????

Edited by xylophone
  • Haha 1

Yes,. always - it is polite and friendly to do so.

If it is not reciprocated, I have to consider whether they are shy, nervous or afraid to interact with foreigners.

If I see that they are being rude and ignore with me, I make it clear I'm unhappy, walk out and never go back.

The real question should be, do you present a smile when you enter any establishment? Surely it is good manners on everyone's part to commence pleasantries.

I rarely have problems after 19 years here with multiple visits prior to that since 1964.

But some are unavoidable.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 9:14 PM, Jingthing said:

If they're cute.

dammit--beat me to it........

I ride my bike daily and ring the bell to see if i can get thais to react and smile--some do and some dont---even have a few that do the "horn" gesture to get me to give it a lil squeeze-toot!

when im done riding i go back to get my Mbike and there are thai rooms nearby--some gal was outside on her deck and I rang my bell--she looked--so i waved--she panicked!  she calls to her bf who comes out to stare at me..i waved at him too....I got the dead eye 1000 mile stare....I park there daily so the door is now shut and the curtains pulled.....(wipes away a single tear...*sniffs*)

"Somchai! come quick..call the police! there is some deranged hansum falang waving to us!".. ????

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:16 PM, BangkokReady said:

Yes.  Normally eye contact, a smile and a greeting (hello/thank you) is how I begin and end any interaction with sales/service people.

Yws, sometimes it isn't returned, sometimes it maybe gives people the wrong idea (not my fault), often it isn't returned my male staff.

Sometimes it's not returned, and/or engagement is avoided for one specific reason:

- The Thai person can't speak English (no judement intended), and they avoid engagement because they fear the foreigner will speak English to them and they can't respond and they will lose face. So avoid engagement. Not rude, just normal human behavior. 

An extension of this, I speak pretty good Thai, several times I've spoken to shop (and other) people in polite Thai and contact avoided, so I ask again politely - more avoidance.

Then my Thai son (his face is more Thai than foreign) says politely, in Thai 'My dad is speaking to you in pasa Thai'.

Then a second later the penny drops and a two way  conversation starts. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2023 at 1:11 PM, Moonlover said:

What a sad post this is and appalling English with which to present it.

Here's a tip for you buddy. 'Smile and the whole world smiles with you, frown and no one give a damn about you'. (my own paraphrase)

And post like that above & remove all doubt !!!! ????

On 6/14/2023 at 1:11 PM, Moonlover said:

What a sad post this is and appalling English with which to present it.

Here's a tip for you buddy. 'Smile and the whole world smiles with you, frown and no one give a damn about you'. (my own paraphrase)

If you write a post complaining about other people's English, you should at least get your own Subject-Verb agreement correct ???? 

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sometimes it's not returned, and/or engagement is avoided for one specific reason:

- The Thai person can't speak English (no judement intended), and they avoid engagement because they fear the foreigner will speak English to them and they can't respond and they will lose face. So avoid engagement. Not rude, just normal human behavior. 

An extension of this, I speak pretty good Thai, several times I've spoken to shop (and other) people in polite Thai and contact avoided, so I ask again politely - more avoidance.

Then my Thai son (his face is more Thai than foreign) says politely, in Thai 'My dad is speaking to you in pasa Thai'.

Then a second later the penny drops and a two way  conversation starts. 

Why are you confused? What's confusing you? or are you just being silly?

On 6/14/2023 at 10:42 AM, Neeranam said:

I refuse to smile at those ugly bar ladies shouting massage when I'm walking through Hua Hin. Pain in the butt.

You tried one then............:whistling:................????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

If you write a post complaining about other people's English, you should at least get your own Subject-Verb agreement correct ???? 

Yes teacher, sorry teacher. I promise never to leave a single letter out of my posts ever again. At least not tody.