Mystery rash on Thai man: environmental allergy suspected after ineffective treatment

snoop1130

ผื่น.jpg

A Thai man suffered from an unexplained rash. The initial diagnosis suspected shingles, but shingles treatment proved ineffective. A second hospital later suggested the cause may be an environmental allergy. Social media users expressed concern and shared their thoughts on the unusual condition.

A Facebook page named ‘Ee Sor Ka Yhee Khao 2’ posted pictures of a patient with a severe rash without a definite cause. The first hospital initially suspected shingles, but the treatment was ineffective, leading to a change in hospitals. The post garnered significant attention, with many users expressing concern and sharing their opinions on the ailment.

Today, reporters visited Suranaree, Mueang Nakhon Ratchasima District, Nakhon Ratchasima, to meet with 28 year old Wacharaphorn, the girlfriend of the 29 year old patient, Chanachai. Wacharaphorn revealed that her boyfriend’s rash began on May 4, but they were unsure of the cause. Chalachai usually enjoys gardening, cutting trees, and cleaning their house. His symptoms first appeared after removing wallpaper during a renovation project, which made him believe he might be allergic to the wallpaper dust, reported Sanook.

By Samantha Rose

Caption: Picture courtesy of Sanook

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/mystery-rash-on-thai-man-environmental-allergy-suspected-after-ineffective-shingles-treatment

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

Not sure how many articles I've read about the high quality of medical care in Thailand but here's some reality. Two hospitals yet to be diagnosed.

28 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

made him believe he might be allergic to the wallpaper dust

If it's inhaled yes. But not this. Too me it looks like a massive heat rash that's got infected. Sweaty back lying on a dirty sheet. Some corticosteroid cream might sort it out.

As for shingles I've always been told they are very painful and often form in lines.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Not sure how many articles I've read about the high quality of medical care in Thailand but here's some reality. Two hospitals yet to be diagnosed.

If it's inhaled yes. But not this. Too me it looks like a massive heat rash that's got infected. Sweaty back lying on a dirty sheet. Some corticosteroid cream might sort it out.

As for shingles I've always been told they are very painful and often form in lines.

I suggest you might be thinking of breathing in fungus in the wallpaper dust but the chemicals used in wallpaper glue to can also be quite toxic also and cause contact dermatitis or eczema.

Occupational contact allergy and dermatitis from methylisothiazolinone after contact with wallcovering glue and after a chemical burn from a biocide - PubMed (nih.gov)

39 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I suggest you might be thinking of breathing in fungus in the wallpaper dust but the chemicals used in wallpaper glue to can also be quite toxic also and cause contact dermatitis or eczema.

Occupational contact allergy and dermatitis from methylisothiazolinone after contact with wallcovering glue and after a chemical burn from a biocide - PubMed (nih.gov)

Says dust and fairly sure he wasn't rubbing the old wallpaper on his back. Taking down old wallpaper not putting it up so no glue except for dry residue involved. Can't see how taking down old wallpaper can result in a fairly severe back rash.

Shingles?

are these Thai medical experts trained in medicine, doesn't appear so...

'Usually you get the shingles rash on your chest and tummy, but it can appear anywhere on your body including on your face, eyes and genitals.

The rash appears as blotches on your skin, on 1 side of your body only. A rash on both the left and right of your body is unlikely to be shingles'

Shingles - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Rank amateurs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Says dust and fairly sure he wasn't rubbing the old wallpaper on his back. Taking down old wallpaper not putting it up so no glue except for dry residue involved. Can't see how taking down old wallpaper can result in a fairly severe back rash.

I agree you 'can't see'!

Difficult to see anything unless you were there and know the full circumstances! 

37 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

As is only appears to be on his torso, I'd say I'd look at what new washing powder or conditioner the wife has changed too first !

Cherchez la femme.  Most problems stem from this in Thailand.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I got one on my back during the heatwave from falling asleep on my sofa... Snake Brand prickly heat powder sorted it. 

But if they treated it already, even the wrong treatment it would have got good again on itself. So in this case the reason for it is still there.