Water rationing starts 1st July

The pipeline between the island and Surat Thani has been non-operational for months,

This in an article in AN today.

Has anyone on Samui seen any significant rain in the last month?

Here in the NE peninsular we have only seen an hour's heavy rain in that time - two or three night's ago. A very quick shower last night.

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

This in an article in AN today.

Has anyone on Samui seen any significant rain in the last month?

Here in the NE peninsular we have only seen an hour's heavy rain in that time - two or three night's ago. A very quick shower last night.

It's still south-western monsoon time, so it rains off in south-west, with the little rain the clouds bring, before it hits north-east; my few plants up here on the northen cost are still unhappy with the performance of the weather gods...:whistling:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Can samui said:

Have been without water for over a week now down here in Talingngam. Quite strange given all the recent downpours.

Makes me wonder what the silly buggers are playing at now?

Downpours don't relate directly to your water supply.

The water has to be collected and stored. Usually iy takes a whole wet season  to bring water levels up to normal.

This year average rainfall is down due to El Nino and the government is worried about drought in parts of the country.

On Samui it is still unclear where the water is coming from...e.g. how much is actually coming from the undersea pipeline and how much is gathered on the island.

I used to have contacts with the local nabobs but now information seems very space.

Have you checked with the water company? What did they say?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kwilco said:

The water has to be collected and stored. Usually iy takes a whole wet season  to bring water levels up to normal.

I totally agree with your comment here. Maybe a couple of very wet seasons.

I have read that the pipeline from the mainland is not working (again).

Well water is becoming more difficult to buy and the water quality now is so bad that owners are putting large filter systems in their properties to stop the taps/showers from 'clogging' up.

I have seen water trucks filling up with water from the lake near Central Festival in Chaweng and that water is very 'iffy'.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I totally agree with your comment here. Maybe a couple of very wet seasons.

I have read that the pipeline from the mainland is not working (again).

Well water is becoming more difficult to buy and the water quality now is so bad that owners are putting large filter systems in their properties to stop the taps/showers from 'clogging' up.

I have seen water trucks filling up with water from the lake near Central Festival in Chaweng and that water is very 'iffy'.

Let's hope those trucks are filling up and not emptying.

Either way I doubt that is legal.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

When I left Samui in 2006, the locals were already worried about the water tables coz of all the new villas with infinity pools being built. Based on Google street views, it seems the whole island is almost cheek by jowl in buildings and bungalows, and all those residents & tourists use a lot of water. Hope you get lots of rain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JettieG said:

When I left Samui in 2006, the locals were already worried about the water tables coz of all the new villas with infinity pools being built. Based on Google street views, it seems the whole island is almost cheek by jowl in buildings and bungalows, and all those residents & tourists use a lot of water. Hope you get lots of rain.

Like most places in Thailand it is build first and worry about utilities and infrastructure later

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Was out and about today and was struck by the shear number of water trucks plying their trade. Makes me think the resevoirs are empty and the pipeline is still non functional.

No rain in the forcast so no relief in sight.

After last years water shortages I bought another tank but the wife and I are on navy showers again!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Can samui said:

Was out and about today and was struck by the shear number of water trucks plying their trade. Makes me think the resevoirs are empty and the pipeline is still non functional.

No rain in the forcast so no relief in sight.

After last years water shortages I bought another tank but the wife and I are on navy showers again!

I have also noticed a lot more smaller, independent water trucks.

Even our local car hire guy has bought one to sell water.

We are currently paying 700 baht per truck. Supposed to be 6 cubic meters.

In reality, 5+ cubic meters.

A four bedroom villa, plus pool, plus garden is taking up to 8 trucks per month at this time of year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I have also noticed a lot more smaller, independent water trucks.

Even our local car hire guy has bought one to sell water.

We are currently paying 700 baht per truck. Supposed to be 6 cubic meters.

In reality, 5+ cubic meters.

A four bedroom villa, plus pool, plus garden is taking up to 8 trucks per month at this time of year.

I don't water the land (15 rai) any more. I figure that nature is a lot smarter than me and made preparations decades ago.

I do have a big water flower bowl which I keep filled for the dogs, cat, birds etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't water the land (15 rai) any more. I figure that nature is a lot smarter than me and made preparations decades ago.

I do have a big water flower bowl which I keep filled for the dogs, cat, birds etc.

depnds on how much the local topography has been changed by development etc.

33 minutes ago, kwilco said:

trouble with those smaller trucks is that they may also have been used to empty septic tanks!

Nope, to empty a septic you need a vacuum pump. Water trucks only have discharge pumps.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kwilco said:

the ppipeline comes from a reservoir.

Yes, the Rajaprabah resevoir in Surat. I believe we were referring to the local resevoirs.

6 minutes ago, Can samui said:

Nope, to empty a septic you need a vacuum pump. Water trucks only have discharge pumps.

look again, you'll see where they were fitted!

Edited by kwilco

5 minutes ago, Can samui said:

Yes, the Rajaprabah resevoir in Surat. I believe we were referring to the local resevoirs.

the two reservoirs used also supply other areas in Surat and NST - they too have water shortages.

Samui has very small reservoirs and aquifers

12 hours ago, Can samui said:

Meanwhile, on Samui Island, three main water sources, the wetlands of Phru Krajood, Phru Na Muang, and Phru Chaweng, store a modest total of 3,200,000m3, barely sufficient to quench the island’s growing thirst.

A lifeline emerges from the mainland, as a modest flow of 22,000m3 per day trickles through an undersea pipeline from Surat Thani, swelling by an additional 5,000m3 during the parched embrace of the dry season.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1324178-water-crisis-hits-koh-pha-ngan-and-koh-samui-tap-water-rationed/

• Thumbs Up 1

We have a couple of small Thai rental units that we use for storage and a 'rest place' for staff when they are tired or lunch and their home is further away.

They were on government water until recently. Now none.

Nothing in the press though.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Can samui said:

Had water briefly the other day and when I told wifey she just laughs and says they turned it on because the PM was here...cant really fault here logic.

Brilliant.  :biggrin:

Thank you.

On 4/7/2024 at 2:45 PM, Can samui said:

the wife and I are on navy showers again!

You still shower???

I stopped brushing my teeth last week to save water 💧

We are not there yet, but we are using shower water to flush the toilet and I have a 50 m3 (almost empty) storage tank.

• Thumbs Up 1