Simple device to monitor the local internet?

OneMoreFarang

15 minutes ago, MJCM said:

AFAIK you can run Python scripts on the ESP32 and as it has WiFi capabilities you can send thus things over the internet so it can be used standalone.

But I am not 100% sure

Edit: You can even run a simple Webserver on it

https://electropeak.com/learn/create-a-web-server-w-esp32/

The issue you need to think about is when the internet fails because the power has failed.

16 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The issue you need to think about is when the internet fails because the power has failed.

In my case is that I then won't receive an Email.

My Script is sending out 24 emails a day (1 every hour) and you just regularly check the email inbox to see if there is an outage. You can of course increase or decrease the frequency (once every 30 min for example or even faster) and your Email alert program (Windows for example poppeeper) will tell you if an email has arrived and thus the Internet (and the thus also the POWER at the Remote Location) is online

Edit: Of course not as sophisticated as your solution but it works for me

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, ideally you would run the monitor software on a remote server that doesn’t suffer from power outages or regular LOS, maybe some cheap VPS. The server would ping your router at regular intervals, I ping my company server every 60 seconds.

When there is no response, then you get a notification on your phone, I just discovered the software I suggested can even use LINE messenger to send you that notification, I usually use discord because I generally have LINE notifications switched off.

8396AFA5-7359-412A-954A-1AE324B81D1D.jpeg

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, recom273 said:

you would run the monitor software on a remote server that doesn’t suffer from power outages or regular LOS,

Linode has cheap VPS (Shared CPU for around $5 per month) which could easily do this in case someone wants to do it.

Ps: Not affiliated with them I used to use one of their VPS for VPN

Edited by MJCM

19 hours ago, bignok said:

Probably a good thing. Why you need internet 18 hours a day?

Security cameras.. 

The good ones have AI that sends alerts when a human is visible in predetermined zones (indoors, in a porch, non public spaces) etc. 

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Only because you don't understand it doesn't mean that there are no reasons.

It is always amazing in this forum when someone asks a simple question and then some people make it complicated because they don't understand it.

I won't tell you all the details why I want what I want. It doesn't matter. And if you don't understand it and have nothing to contribute then just skip this topic. That is best for all of us.

It's polite and makes the question more interesting to give a  reason for your request for information.

An attitude of "I want to know how to do something but it's non of you business what for" is not really conjusive when asking for help.

Giving a little background on what you are trying to achieve  will make your post more friendly and possibly get more people interested in bothering to provide an answer.

Anyway up to you

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

It's polite and makes the question more interesting to give a  reason for your request for information.

An attitude of "I want to know how to do something but it's non of you business what for" is not really conjusive when asking for help.

Giving a little background on what you are trying to achieve  will make your post more friendly and possibly get more people interested in bothering to provide an answer.

Anyway up to you

Thanks

Most people have enough imagination to know that internet and WLAN is used for a lot of things, not just browsing the web on a computer.

I could have written about my smart lock with WLAN which send messages to me when the lock is opened or closed. But I am sure if I would have done that then half the posts would be about smart locks. That's what I wanted to avoid and that is why I didn't write it.

Nobody is forced to read any of my messages or participate in a thread.

@JBChiangRaimade a good suggestion with the Sonoff device - without asking why I need it.

That's the kind of answer which is helpful. Others had obviously also good ideas.

Thanks to everybody. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately not everyone is as smart as you and would have no idea what the thing you asked for is used for.

I'm sure there's many members on here, me included, that surf the forum to see what others are up to, and perhaps pick up some ideas that could be useful for some of their own projects that they might have going. 

Or even get ideas to solve some problem that they didn't know that there was an actual solution to.

It makes the forum more friendly ????

Edited by Beachcomber
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2023 at 10:42 AM, RayWright said:

As opposed to using a Pi, I've used second-hand mini PC's....In fact up in Bangkok next week so was going to take a look at Fortune Town as after one myself. Should be, or was the equivalent of THB 4,500. (Based on previous experience in UK & Singapore).

Hi OneMoreFarang,

As update, Dell i5 Optiplex 3700THB. 3rd floor.

NSS (Network Solution & Service).

They've got 12+ from an Enterprise business sell off.

20230621_150008.thumb.jpg.b4cfbc69d5c9c36fd75b8337a52d3959.jpg

• Like 2

I am using some devices that covers both the internet and the power.

The first is an IP Switch.  This thing is awesome.   It pings about five of the biggest sites, Google being one of them, but you can add your own sites.  If it can't ping all five sites, it reboots one or both power outlets, and I have the modem / router plugged into one of them, so it's as good as an internet freeze and I'm there recycling the router, but this device does it for me. 

They are highly customizable and you can set them on a schedule.  For example, I have it reboot my network once a day at 3am. 

They have an app where you can reset the power outlets from anywhere, or turn on or off an outlet from anywhere. 

Should the internet go down for hours, you can set the device to keep rebooting until internet is restored. 

The device also sends email notifications when the internet is restored , and it keeps logs also. 

https://5gstore.com/product/8897_5gstore_remote_power_switch_-_2_outlets_-_remote_automation_and_remote_rebooting_-_app_controlled.html

To monitor electricity, I use one of these, but you have to pay for a text message every power outage. 

It sort of monitors the internet also because it's based on their server pinging it and if it can not contact it, the power must be down, but, possibly the internet as well. 

It's customizable as well, and I have set mine to the maximum to 10 minutes loss of contact because I am only monitoring for power outages and don't have anything plugged into it like a fish tank pump or freezer. 

https://www.pwron.net.au

Both of the above have generic similar devices on the market, but the above are the ones I use.  With the IP Switch, you can buy it with power plugs for different countries from the website.  I chose the 2 pin plug for Thailand.   

On 6/22/2023 at 5:13 AM, JBChiangRai said:

The PWRON at 4,460 baht does exactly the same as the Sonoff switch at 206 baht.

I did say there are generic similar devices on the market. 

These just happen to be the ones I have chosen.  They are in my home country taking care of internet freezes, and rebooting my network once a day, and letting me know when there is a power outage there.  

I have looked at the Sonoff website.  They have many devices for sale.  Which one are you referring to?

3 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I did say there are generic similar devices on the market. 

These just happen to be the ones I have chosen.  They are in my home country taking care of internet freezes, and rebooting my network once a day, and letting me know when there is a power outage there.  

I have looked at the Sonoff website.  They have many devices for sale.  Which one are you referring to?

Most of them do what's needed.  I have a Basic for detecting power or internet failure at my house and another device (I can't remember what it is) at the moo baan pumping station which is on a different phase.  And I have yet another 800m away which reboots the communal internet every morning at 5am, that one is the switched socket type.

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Most of them do what's needed.  I have a Basic for detecting power or internet failure at my house and another device (I can't remember what it is) at the moo baan pumping station which is on a different phase.  And I have yet another 800m away which reboots the communal internet every morning at 5am, that one is the switched socket type.

Any model numbers or links? 

A cheap timer will reboot the internet on the schedule you set, but it can not detect internet freezes.

WifI switches can be turned on / off from anywhere in the world, but not much good when the internet freezes. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Any model numbers or links? 

A cheap timer will reboot the internet on the schedule you set, but it can not detect internet freezes.

WifI switches can be turned on / off from anywhere in the world, but not much good when the internet freezes. 

The one on the pumps is a TH16R2, I think that was the first one I ever bought.

The one on the modem is a S31TBP, it has the dual advantage that it tells me if the internet freezes or power cut, it also tells me the modem and switch consume 19 watts., it a plug on one side and socket on the other.

The one tells me if we lose PEA or Internet is a BASICR2, because of my whole house UPS, it's impossible to know which power source the house is on without the Sonoff.

I prefer to use a 200 baht Sonoff IoT switch as a timer because it stays synchronised to real time.  They also have an inching setting, so you can trigger a device and closes contacts for (say) 1 second, which works my garage door and gate from Siri.

Most Sonoff devices receive their timing programming from Sonoff's server, thereafter, they will stick to their schedule without internet, but they default to a power-on state of On, Off, or same as when power lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

The one on the pumps is a TH16R2, I think that was the first one I ever bought.

The one on the modem is a S31TBP, it has the dual advantage that it tells me if the internet freezes or power cut, it also tells me the modem and switch consume 19 watts., it a plug on one side and socket on the other.

The one tells me if we lose PEA or Internet is a BASICR2, because of my whole house UPS, it's impossible to know which power source the house is on without the Sonoff.

I prefer to use a 200 baht Sonoff IoT switch as a timer because it stays synchronised to real time.  They also have an inching setting, so you can trigger a device and closes contacts for (say) 1 second, which works my garage door and gate from Siri.

Most Sonoff devices receive their timing programming from Sonoff's server, thereafter, they will stick to their schedule without internet, but they default to a power-on state of On, Off, or same as when power lost.

Thanks.  I'll check them out. 

On 6/16/2023 at 11:44 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I know there's no internet connection when my laptop says displays No internet connection. No device needed. I guess the same thing happens with a phone.

Exactly. In the top or bottom toolbar, there is usually a WiFi symbol )))) turned upwards. If it is black, the internet is connected. If it is grayscale, it is not. That's on a desktop, tablet or laptop. I can look up the status in the Settings icon on a smartphone.

There's some complicated solutions to a simple problem on this thread.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Exactly. In the top or bottom toolbar, there is usually a WiFi symbol )))) turned upwards. If it is black, the internet is connected. If it is grayscale, it is not. That's on a desktop, tablet or laptop. I can look up the status in the Settings icon on a smartphone.

There's some complicated solutions to a simple problem on this thread.

And what if you’re not glued to a laptop screen?

What if you’re out somewhere?

You missed the OP’s point.

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

And what if you’re not glued to a laptop screen?

What if you’re out somewhere?

You missed the OP’s point.

What if I am? The settings menu on a smartphone will tell me if I am connected via a provider, or in a WiFi hotspot.

If I am missing the OP's point. make it a double, because I am also missing yours.

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What if I am? The settings menu on a smartphone will tell me if I am connected via a provider, or in a WiFi hotspot.

If I am missing the OP's point. make it a double, because I am also missing yours.

The point is how you tell if internet or power is lost at location A when you are at location B.  The OP did say “Recently the electricity was off in a place which I don't visit regularly and because of that the internet was off. I didn't notice for a few days.”

Further, what you are suggesting won’t actually work for anyone whose router is separate from their modem.  At my home if we lose internet, my laptop and smartphone will still display a strong WiFi signal and I can still access the file servers on my local network. 

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

The point is how you tell if internet or power is lost at location A when you are at location B.  The OP did say “Recently the electricity was off in a place which I don't visit regularly and because of that the internet was off. I didn't notice for a few days.”

Further, what you are suggesting won’t actually work for anyone whose router is separate from their modem.  At my home if we lose internet, my laptop and smartphone will still display a strong WiFi signal and I can still access the file servers on my local network. 

If power is lost at location A when I am in location B, why should I care? The only scenario I can think of is a refrigerator full of food at location A.

• Sad 1

In an IT company a couple of decades ago, we used to have internet radio on. Radio stops, internet likely down.

Even better in your scenario as it's at a remote location, so you wont be able to hear the radio, which will make it less annoying ????

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If power is lost at location A when I am in location B, why should I care? The only scenario I can think of is a refrigerator full of food at location A.

Access to CCTV, pulling or pushing files to a NAS, video doorbells, and connecting to a VPN at location A to get around geo-blocking, to name a few. 

One would need to know if none of the above are working due to an internet or network device issue, or a power outage. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Access to CCTV, pulling or pushing files to a NAS, video doorbells, and connecting to a VPN at location A to get around geo-blocking, to name a few. 

One would need to know if none of the above are working due to an internet or network device issue, or a power outage. 

None of which I need, thanks.

9 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

So why bother posting then?

The OP requires a device/s to perform a function.  If you don't, so what?

At least I don't post 400 times on the same thread, with the same refrain.