Simple device to monitor the local internet?

OneMoreFarang

I there some little device which can be connected to a router or maybe WLAN which monitors the internet? And maybe shows an alarm on an app if the internet or WLAN doesn't work?

I guess I could create something like that with an ESP32. But I am sure someone else invented that already. And maybe they sell it cheap on Lazada or AliExpress or similar. But what is the name of such a device? Any ideas?

Recently the electricity was off in a place which I don't visit regularly and because of that the internet was off. I didn't notice for a few days. With a little device and app like described above that should be easy to detect and monitor.

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Recently the electricity was off in a place which I don't visit regularly and because of that the internet was off. I didn't notice for a few days. With

Probably a good thing. Why you need internet 18 hours a day?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

Might be a bit over the top, but would recommend Paessler PRTG.

Have used it to monitor voltage supply to CER via Room Alert sensors as well as specific device power distribution units and UPS. As MJCM says, also use a Ping 8.8.8.8 & or 8.8.4.4 script to confirm WAN connectivity. PRTG scripting allows you to PING constantly and alert on failure or provide periodic AOK updates. Assumes you have a  UPS and mobile SMS at the site for success during a power / WAN outage.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RayWright said:

Might be a bit over the top, but would recommend Paessler PRTG.

Have used it to monitor voltage supply to CER via Room Alert sensors as well as specific device power distribution units and UPS. As MJCM says, also use a Ping 8.8.8.8 & or 8.8.4.4 script to confirm WAN connectivity. PRTG scripting allows you to PING constantly and alert on failure or provide periodic AOK updates. Assumes you have a  UPS and mobile SMS at the site for success during a power / WAN outage.

Thanks, that goes in the right direction. And it gives me a name for what I am looking for.

I guess I am looking for basic network monitoring hardware and software, maybe based on an ESP32 or something similar.

In the moment I don't have any PC on that network, and I don't want to install a PC just for running such monitoring software.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In the moment I don't have any PC on that network, and I don't want to install a PC just for running such monitoring software.

To make it clear, I am not running it on a PC but on a Raspberry Pi. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Buy a 200 baht Sonoff switch on Lazada, and turn on OFFLINE ALERT and the eWeLink app on your phone to control it will receive a PUSH message when the device goes offlne or comes online, ie power or internet failure.

Good idea! 

I bought one of those some time ago. And I right away installed a different firmware (to run it with Home Assistant).

Maybe I should have tried the original first...

I will buy another one or two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

guess I am looking for basic network monitoring hardware and software, maybe based on an ESP32 or something similar.

Maybe @Crossy also has an idea because I believe he likes to tinker with those.

I use a thing called uptime Kuma - there are other things like uptime robot, to monitor my companies server at a glance. We haven't had issues for a long time, so I cant even remember how I did it and what I was trying to achieve, (I think I was trying to collect the data and learn about grafana) but there are blogposts on how to monitor your connection.

https://community.oh-lalabs.com/t/monitor-internet-connection-uptime-kuma/2235

I get discord notifications when the server is down, you can use other paid services like pushbullet when your ISP is down or here's something about home assistant.

https://techstuff.leighonline.net/2023/03/26/send-uptime-kuma-webhook-notifications-to-home-assistant-that-is-behind-cloudflare-zero-trust/

However, means you will probably need to run the software on a pi or some kind of server somewhere, sorry.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I know there's no internet connection when my laptop says displays No internet connection. No device needed. I guess the same thing happens with a phone.

He is talking about to monitor a Remote Location not his home

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Recently the electricity was off in a place which I don't visit regularly and because of that the internet was off. I didn't notice for a few days. With a little device and app like described above that should be easy to detect and monitor.

Edited by MJCM
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

He is talking about to monitor a Remote Location not his home

Now I'm wondering why it is important to know if the internet is working in a place he isn't at, but no doubt there's a logical reason. Which is none of my business.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Now I'm wondering why it is important to know if the internet is working in a place he isn't at, but no doubt there's a logical reason. Which is none of my business.

Just an example, he has a Fridge at that location and it is full of food, and when the Internet is down then the power could be off and he could take action to make sure that he doesn't have to throw away the food.

Just one of the usage cases or maybe he likes a project so as they say in TiT, Up To Him.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

For many reasons...e.g the fridge is full and electricity goes off. Or security cameras are required to be on all the time.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Not an issue. You can run Client based PRTG externally or Cloud version and interrogate the remote site's router. Does assume static IP Address. 

As opposed to using a Pi, I've used second-hand mini PC's, as minimal footprint, LAN connected to router if on a floating IP address. In fact up in Bangkok next week so was going to take a look at Fortune Town as after one myself. Should be, or was the equivalent of THB 4,500. (Based on previous experience in UK & Singapore).

Thinking outside the box; connect a webcam to the router and point it at it.  If it's working you'll be able to see the lights flashing.  If it's not, then you won't see anything because the camera will be offline.  In addition, many of these camera apps allow you to set it so it sends an alarm when the camera does go offline, so you'll know right away.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Anybody have a cheaper solution than my 206 baht Sonoff Basic IoT switch?

An ESP32 with that firmware should be even cheaper ????

I like your idea and if nobody has any better idea then likely I will use the Sonoffs. 

Let's wait a day or two more for good ideas. 

I assume you have a Router there. Why not SSH into the Router, create a Ping / Email Bash Script and schedule that via Cron.

This will work only of course if you can get SSH access.

This solution will not cost you anything as you already have the router

Edited by MJCM

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

The last Raspberry Pi which I bought was less than 3,000B. Now it seems they cost at least 3 times as much...

I have an Orange Pi...they are cheaper and good devices....but software is not as well supported

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

An ESP32 with that firmware should be even cheaper ????

Don't you need a server too?

The Sonoff device is pinged regularly by their server and that initiates the push message to your phone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Buy a 200 baht Sonoff switch on Lazada, and turn on OFFLINE ALERT and the eWeLink app on your phone to control it will receive a PUSH message when the device goes offlne or comes online, ie power or internet failure.

This is a great idea and even better is they have an LED on them that blinks when the internet is down.  Plug it in somewhere you can see it and you'll know the internet is down.  You will have to connect it wirelessly to the internet where you are but once connected (easy to do) you'll know.  You will have to buy/make a short power cord for it.  You do not need an output device for it to work.     https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wifi-sonoff-i291272269-s483786280.html?c=&channelLpJumpArgs=&clickTrackInfo=query%3Asonoff%3Bnid%3A291272269%3Bsrc%3ALazadaMainSrp%3Brn%3Ab2cde86d5cc10ac6e7aa61577a9e7f36%3Bregion%3Ath%3Bsku%3A291272269_TH%3Bprice%3A142%3Bclient%3Adesktop%3Bsupplier_id%3A100100969%3Bpromotion_biz%3A%3Basc_category_id%3A12090%3Bitem_id%3A291272269%3Bsku_id%3A483786280%3Bshop_id%3A130677&fastshipping=0&freeshipping=0&fs_ab=2&fuse_fs=1&lang=en&location=Bangkok&price=142&priceCompare=&ratingscore=4.746212121212121&request_id=b2cde86d5cc10ac6e7aa61577a9e7f36&review=264&sale=2703&search=1&source=search&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.i40.5b915199bAnCuB&stock=1

16 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Don't you need a server too?

AFAIK you can run Python scripts on the ESP32 and as it has WiFi capabilities you can send thus things over the internet so it can be used standalone.

But I am not 100% sure

Edit: You can even run a simple Webserver on it

https://electropeak.com/learn/create-a-web-server-w-esp32/

Edited by MJCM