SCB ending SCB Easy Net internet banking.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:41 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Both the website and the app are the worst/ugliest among the three that I use (SCB, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn).

On the app I hate their hysteric "security measures" like forbidding

Error
If you see this error, please contact MitID support.
Correlation ID: 11941d95-2d8c-4ab4-8082-4967b672e303
Error
If you see this error, please contact MitID support.
Correlation ID: 11941d95-2d8c-4ab4-8082-4967b672e303

screenshots. I had to disable USB debugging to use it!

But still a lazy move to save some cost for maintenance.

RIP

12 hours ago, phetphet said:

I prefer to do online banking via my home network and VPN along with the bigger screen.

When using mobile banking app, I try to remember to turn off wifi and do it via cellular.

If I do use an outside wifi network a VPN is a must.

never do my banking or investments using an outside network. ALWAYS use your personal hotspot  as well as using your vpn. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

However, mobile banking is a little safer when it comes to security, mainly because this type of banking does not store any data'. 

Exactly what data is stored if you access your account via a web browser through a pc?

Passwords - only if you enable them

Cookies - what will they tell?

Genuinely interested as I cannot think of anything else?

The SCB mobile app asks you to screenshot every bill payment and if you agree stores that on your phone.......

My UK bank needs 2FA every time I log in online which should make it more secure than SCB who don't.

Yes I came across this closure couple days ago. I had emailed SCB over loss of access to the registered Sim. I had cut it accurately (or so I thought) to refit in phone and clearly in hindsight I had cocked it up lol

Quite disturbing when you consider I worked on Nuclear powered Subs in the 1980's for 6 years lol...I digress

So in the email I asked about desktop access with the end result that brings about this thread

I cant log in at all and not only that with the Debit Card not having been updated to 6 digits pin I cant even whack it in the hole in the wall in the UK to see if it will show the balance

No objection to app only but probably with a desktop version would have been able to manage the account before I return to Thailand this Autumn

Wanted to add further monies seeing Sterling is highest its been for some time but bit reluctant to add more than what I already have this month without sight of its actually landed (am sure it has lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, topt said:

Exactly what data is stored if you access your account via a web browser through a pc?

I've no idea any more than you have.

46 minutes ago, topt said:

The SCB mobile app asks you to screenshot every bill payment and if you agree stores that on your phone.......

The transaction slips do not contain any data that can be useful to a miscreant, providing you have set the app to hide the account numbers and you are free to delete them anyway. I sweep mine out weekly.

48 minutes ago, topt said:

My UK bank needs 2FA every time I log in online which should make it more secure than SCB who don't.

I do agree that UK banks are somewhat harder to access than Thai due to 2FA. But in Thailand you cannot make a transaction without entering an OTP or similar. So 2FA is there, it's just a different approach.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, topt said:

''The SCB mobile app asks you to screenshot every bill payment and if you agree stores that on your phone'' that's a really useless option on your phone app. adds another 2 steps to transfer the screen capture to my pc, so I can print it.

1 minute ago, paddypower said:

''The SCB mobile app asks you to screenshot every bill payment and if you agree stores that on your phone'' that's a really useless option on your phone app. adds another 2 steps to transfer the screen capture to my pc, so I can print it.

This option might not be of much use to you, but to someone running a business, a small shop for instance, they can come in very handy for doing one accounts at the end of the business day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

'Whether you choose mobile banking or online banking, you can be confident that your bank has invested in the security of these services. However, mobile banking is a little safer when it comes to security, mainly because this type of banking does not store any data'.    Is mobile banking safe

This is just one of many references one will find on the internet if one cares to look. (I can't do your searching for you)

If someone is careless enough to not put a security PIN on their phone, put the banking app's passcode somewhere on their phone (as a reminder) and then loose the phone, yes they might just find that their bank account has been raided.

It's human error that usually causes these problems, not shortcomings in the banking apps.

exactly and now the genius' at SBC have come up with the idea of forcing you to use your phone, to make bill payments, which is easy to misplace or get hacked. whereas the app on my pc is protected by not only my vpn, but also the fact that it never leaves my home desk. i think I'll switch banks ( I have 4).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This option might not be of much use to you, but to someone running a business, a small shop for instance, they can come in very handy for doing one accounts at the end of the business day.

still does snot resolve the question of how, in your example, someone could make hard copies of the screen capture (assumming that option is not going to be taken away). I will just switch banks. To heck with SCB, I have  been with them since 1994. It's time to move on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

You don't get it. It's a mobile phone. It's more suscepitible to spam, to call center scammers, to malicious software, to data mining. Look at how many apps in the Google's Play Store turned out to be stripping data before they were finally discovered (and Tik Tok still is). And security measures like two-factor authentication are meaningless when you're using the same device for both factors.

Sure, a lot of the problems are caused by human error. But costly errors are much easier with a mobile phone. Look at the way most people carry their phones, in their back pockets or they leave them sitting out. I have found at least 3 phones that I can remember that were lost.

How anybody can all any of this secure is beyond me.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, paddypower said:

exactly and now the genius' at SBC have come up with the idea of forcing you to use your phone, to make bill payments, which is easy to misplace or get hacked. whereas the app on my pc is protected by not only my vpn, but also the fact that it never leaves my home desk. i think I'll switch banks ( I have 4).

Yes, geat, and now I have to find a new bank as well if that's possible. The problem is that what one Thai bank does all of them usually end up doing. I doubt very much that they've terminated corporate internet banking. This is probably only for retail customers and one more strategy to force us to abandon cash for mobile apps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

at the risk of sounding helpless (Im in my late 70's) how do I transfer the screen capture from my phone to my pc. I am thinking - maybe Line or Whats App work, or email would work?

8 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

You don't get it. It's a mobile phone. It's more suscepitible to spam, to call center scammers, to malicious software, to data mining. Look at how many apps in the Google's Play Store turned out to be stripping data before they were finally discovered (and Tik Tok still is). And security measures like two-factor authentication are meaningless when you're using the same device for both factors.

Sure, a lot of the problems are caused by human error. But costly errors are much easier with a mobile phone. Look at the way most people carry their phones, in their back pockets or they leave them sitting out. I have found at least 3 phones that I can remember that were lost.

How anybody can all any of this secure is beyond me.

thanks I'll use your post as a complaint to SCB, with a notice that I am closing out my accounts, as a consequence. I also bank (minimally) with the 3 other major banks (mostly for IPO's). So I do have a choice.

7 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Yes, geat, and now I have to find a new bank as well if that's possible. The problem is that what one Thai bank does all of them usually end up doing. I doubt very much that they've terminated corporate internet banking. This is probably only for retail customers and one more strategy to force us to abandon cash for mobile apps.

Probably a conspiracy by 711 to get you to visit their stores more often, to pay your bills. 555

2 minutes ago, paddypower said:
42 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

2 minutes ago, paddypower said:

at the risk of sounding helpless (Im in my late 70's) how do I transfer the screen capture from my phone to my pc. I am thinking - maybe Line or Whats App work, or email would work?

I am also in my late 70s. However I cannot envisage any situation were I would need to carry out such a transfer. However, if it helps what I do if I want to move photos from my phone to my computer is simply plug my phone into the computer with a USB cable and copy the contents of the picture file. Job done.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 9:21 AM, pjmorton said:

I wonder if SCB will continue to limit its banking app to use with one telephone only.

and maybe a mobile phone from a specific brand only.... monopoly it's common here  555

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Probably a conspiracy by 711 to get you to visit their stores more often, to pay your bills. 555

When the banks announed they were withdrawing their plan to charge customers for cardless cash withdrawals at their ATMs they specifically said one reason for the plan was to promote cashless transactions.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Actually, the easiest way is google photos. If you have google photos on your phone the screenshot should be automatically uploaded and then you can download it to your pc.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, paddypower said:

thanks I'll use your post as a complaint to SCB, with a notice that I am closing out my accounts, as a consequence. I also bank (minimally) with the 3 other major banks (mostly for IPO's). So I do have a choice.

I've already asked my girlfriend to complain to them.

• Like 1

Thank you to the OP.

I have started to transfer my money out of SCB to one of my other accounts.

Yes, using the online banking Easy Net. (No apps or wifi on my phone!)

It seems that customers are no longer important in many Thai banks. Everything is about what the bank wants.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I am also in my late 70s. However I cannot envisage any situation were I would need to carry out such a transfer. However, if it helps what I do if I want to move photos from my phone to my computer is simply plug my phone into the computer with a USB cable and copy the contents of the picture file. Job done.

thanks, i will do the same. i pay merchants, TOT, 3BB, AIS and so on. Its wise to have a ahard copy, ofi need to refer back to an entry in my passbook that I cant remember whats it for. .

On 6/16/2023 at 10:02 AM, BenStark said:

As far as I recall, they made those announcements weeks ago already.

Although I have no real issue with using the app, as it is easy, I hate to be forced to install an app.

The only reason IMO they do it, is that they can easily track you and all the contacts on your phone, and spam them.

Privacy is a big concern these days.

I yesterday tried to book a ticket with Traveloka on my PC, and however I have never used that website, have I registered or logged in, they offered to pay with my Kasikorn debit card or Kplus app. They didn't mention any other banks.

I used a fake name and email address to get to the checkout, so how do they know I have a Kasikorn account?

think u are on the right track.. 

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

Here's an interesting factoid for you: 'KASIKORNBANK (KBank) revealed that the number of Thais using mobile banking is the world’s highest, accounting for 68.1 percent of internet users nationwide per month'.

So don't be surprised if the bank you choose to do business with will be the next to close their website based on line banking service. This could be a growing trend.

I already have an account with a bank here that has never had on line banking. I don't find it in the least bit inconvenient.

https://www.thestorythailand.com/en/11/02/2021/13722/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

Actually, the easiest way is google photos. If you have google photos on your phone the screenshot should be automatically uploaded and then you can download it to your pc.

Is the screenshot app on a mobile a standalone app or is it part of the online banking app,  I use Win 11 on my pc., so my screeshot is Snip, which is a separate Win 11 app.

13 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Is the screenshot app on a mobile a standalone app or is it part of the online banking app,  I use Win 11 on my pc., so my screeshot is Snip, which is a separate Win 11 app.

It's part of the system software

5 hours ago, Chivas said:

<snip>

I cant log in at all and not only that with the Debit Card not having been updated to 6 digits pin I cant even whack it in the hole in the wall in the UK to see if it will show the balance

No objection to app only but probably with a desktop version would have been able to manage the account before I return to Thailand this Autumn

Wanted to add further monies seeing Sterling is highest its been for some time but bit reluctant to add more than what I already have this month without sight of its actually landed (am sure it has lol)

I too am in the UK.

I cannot register using the App on my tablet as it's WiFi only.

My Thai phone which does roam successfully is too old to download the App so I installed it on my UK phone using 4G.

I get to the point of choosing a PIN but it keeps telling me "no information available - try later."

I shall but don't hold out much hope.

Even if I do it means I shall have to use it on my UK phone using 4G which is no help when I'm in Thailand!!!

Unlike you @Chivas my card IS 6 digit PIN but every enquiry costs 100 Baht if used overseas - hardly an attractive proposition.

So for the next trip I can see me being forced to carry cash....pity because I've had this account for 25 years!

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2