Noise

still kicking

It's an Asian thing.  The Chinese are super loud.  Also the Vietnamese, who can sound like they're having a blazing row when they're just having a chat.  At least the Thais have a relatively pleasant sounding language.

In many circumstances, Thais can be a lot quieter than foreigners.  But when it comes to "noise pollution" type noise (cars, motorbikes, music), the Thais are trying pretty hard to be the best at it.

• Like 1

Here is my measure, the children barely react to a raised voice from Thai elders 

Its too commonplace and unless repeated often 'overlooked' 

If I raise my voice which is rare it stops the kids in their tracks ????

• Like 1

When we lived in Bkk, my wife spoke in normal tones, but when we lived in the village, everyone shouts back and forth to each others houses... this has become so normal that she did not change the level of volume when standing next to her... 

• Haha 1

Yes Thais can be loud at times.  

And as for the comments about Americans.  Maybe you should also look at the Europeans that are loud,  drunk, and act stupid. Because living in Bangkok for three years.  That seems to be very common. 
Or maybe you are just anti American 

4 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Yes Thais can be loud at times.  

And as for the comments about Americans.  Maybe you should also look at the Europeans that are loud,  drunk, and act stupid. Because living in Bangkok for three years.  That seems to be very common. 
Or maybe you are just anti American 

I never commented about Americans get your facts right 

I have recently started to notice how deaf a lot of adult Thais are, every time they are blocking my way and I have to get past I have to shout at them, when before a pleasant excuse me "in Thai" would be enough.

I have to believe it is because of their addiction to noise, these very loud bass sounds at social gatherings, weddings, funerals etc which Thais attend.

There must be lots of babies and children affected all the time they are growing up and will have hearing problems, maybe that's why they are always shouting at each other.

Interesting experience by our poster.

From my experience here I would say as one example of cultural comparisons Thai's are way quieter than Aussies when out and about.

Yeah the karaoke is off the scale for din but otherwise ... Try sitting in an Aussie restaurant and hearing anything said, even with the person next to you at your table compared to a Thai restaurant.

Thank the gods where we live it is beautifully quiet (careful choices of location was one of the paramount criteria in choosing our slice of nirvana).