Take Me Out Thailand Tangmo’s disgraceful mindset towards women is unwelcome in our society

webfact

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Well if he did give special rights to a women that would be sexist and distrimination. 

Men and women are equal these days. 

Why give up a seat for a perfectly healthy woman just because she is a woman? 

Give up a seat for a pregnant woman fine, or a disabled / elderly one. 

And also a women should offer her seat to an old man or disabled one. 

And anyhow women are built shorter so they can stand up in buses, its evolution.  ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Sadly, chivalry seems to be a rarity in Thailand.

I was on the BTS last week for the first time in years and whenever a seat became available in front of a couple, the male would take the seat, leaving his better half (?) standing.

This was not a one off, I observed this quite a few times during my journey, the woman was always left standing.

In many cases, it is the woman's choice.  My GF gets pissed if I leave a seat for her and tell her I will stand.  She says I am older  I qualify for the special seat lol and therefore need the seat more than her.

Tried discussing but by the time she understand the seat is taken.  

most times the woman will sit that I have seen and the man will stand I think it is more of an o ld cultural thing not sure GF will not tell me 

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

The idea that Thailand's younger generations are more willing to put up with chauvinistic behavior than older generations is absolute nonsense, spouted by people who don't have a clue about Thai culture and can't speak the language.

If anything, Thailand's women today are less inclined to marry and have children, and are more independent and self-reliant than past generations. More educational and career opportunities are open to them today than in the past. Through social and entertainment media they have been exposed to feminism and changing roles in the household. There are also demographic shifts in play which have shifted the demand for women in their reproductive years in the favor of women. Don't forget the huge demand for wives coming out of China due to the one child policy.

I am no Lothario, but I have had a keen interest in how Thai men and women interact with one another, and have been observing their behavior in a village setting for almost 20 years, and before moving here read extensively on Asian culture. I have also taught high school for many years and raised a now age 25 step-daughter, so I think I know a little bit about younger generations as well.

The tyrannical, controlling, bossy, king-of-the-mountain prototype, engaging in endless extra-marital affairs and fathering out-of-wedlock children left and right that some posters seem to think is the norm in Thai culture is almost unheard of and is certainly not openly tolerated by Thai women.

If anyone wants to argue that a Thai village doesn't reflect the attitudes of modern metropolitan women, my response would be that rural Thailand is the cultural heartbeat of Thailand, many city dwellers grew up in rural areas, and rural areas provide a much better opportunity to observe social interactions between Thais than more anonymous urban settings.

In 20 years of living in a village and observing interactions between Thai men and women, I can't think of a single example of a Thai man bossing his wife around or openly womanizing. Furthermore, I have never observed a foreign guy with a Thai wife even trying to order his wife around or taking a "who pays the bills around here?" approach to resolving disputes. And if they did, invariably the marriage didn't last very long.

I can only speculate that any foreign guy who has managed to sustain the delusion that Thai women are submissive by nature and willing to continually defer to her boyfriend/husband's wishes or put up with chauvinistic behavior either haven't been here very long or is projecting this fantasy stereotype onto their partner who in turn is allowing that projection to go unchallenged for pecuniary motives. But once those pecuniary motives have been satisfied, it has been my observation that the mask invariably drops.

Well written, and well argued, well done!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

And also a women should offer her seat to an old man or disabled one.

This has happened to me once or twice (on trains in Europe) and I was a bit chagrined that this attractive young lady thought I was old and/or disabled - but I took the seat anyway.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He got blacked out (all the women turned off the lights for him, meaning, no one chose him).

Had he mentioned that he had more money than Bill Gates, he would have been lit up like a Christmas tree!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Most of these TV shows are staged and heavily scripted by producers to create a certain narrative. 

In this case, move over North Korea, the manufactured propaganda was that foreigners are backwards and chauvinistic while Thais are forward-thinking, modern progressives. 

Thai Enquirer fell for it hook, line and sinker. Because, well, the people who run that website are pretty dim.

Yes people who discuss the decision on a scripted TV show may also discuss the decisions James Bond does in his work as secret agent...and why the Russians don't recognize his face even he is in TV.....