Couriers who delivered ฿28m cash to the police extortion gang questioned

webfact

There is so much wrong with this story, not the least of which is the transferring of 28 m or 140 m baht into Thailand, or between personal accounts. Then someone walking into a bank with a giant suitcase and getting 7 m (at 4 banks) or 28 m at one. Seems like no checks whatsoever on money laundering here. And no one asks questions at the bank? And the bank has enough cash on hand? 

Do the Royal Thai Police have their own bank? Or do they use one bank for all their illegal activities?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

someone walking into a bank with a giant suitcase and getting 7 m (at 4 banks) or 28 m at one. ...And the bank has enough cash on hand? 

A "giant suitcase" isn't needed to carry B7m!   

Of course, banks have that sort of cash if needed, why wouldn't they?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

There is so much wrong with this story, not the least of which is the transferring of 28 m or 140 m baht into Thailand

What are the restrictions that you seem to think exist regarding credits to Thai bank accounts?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

There is so much wrong with this story, not the least of which is the transferring of 28 m or 140 m baht into Thailand, or between personal accounts. Then someone walking into a bank with a giant suitcase and getting 7 m (at 4 banks) or 28 m at one. Seems like no checks whatsoever on money laundering here. And no one asks questions at the bank? And the bank has enough cash on hand? 

Do the Royal Thai Police have their own bank? Or do they use one bank for all their illegal activities?

I'm assuming that you're inquiries are understood to be deeply rhetorical. 

Don't they [banks, police, govt, organised crime, corporations, etc] all belong to the same club? 

Naturally, they cover for one another. 

The first rule of The Ruling Oligarchical Club is not to talk about it. 

32 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

I'm assuming that you're inquiries are understood to be deeply rhetorical. 

Not entirely.

In the film/tv show the transfer of the money is done online in an instant. See progress bar.

Here the logistics fascinate me.

Why are there enough 1,000 baht notes in circulation to deal with these massive pay-offs?

Was it an int'l inbound transfer, domestic? That must require a visit to a branch? Surely transfers on the order of 7 M require additional bank management review? Then at the arriving bank they must have a clearance protocol for 7 M? Then somebody has to purchase luggage. And the arriving bank surely has security protocols? And reporting requirements. Then counting out the cash and stowing it in a pink suitcase? Like, nothing to see here. 

Graft, corruption, extortion are de rigueur here, so maybe they some special window at the bank for Big Money. Actually I assume the corrupt police, all but three of them, have banks/accounts/contacts in place for emergency transfers.

Then who wheels all these suitcases around? I could handle two. Then leave them at a temple? Seriously, monks in on the transfer? What's their cut?

I'm rarely amazed at any corruption here, but paying a 140 m cash bribe must require a boat-load of coordination and work.

• Like 1