How dependent are you on alcohol?

Lacessit

My alcohol consumption.  

197 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of drinker are you?

• I am an alcoholic.
    • I drink a lot in bars when I am with my friends.
    • I drink alone, in moderation. That is, less than 4 standard drinks a day.
    • I drink occasionally, a glass of wine or a beer.
    • I don't drink at all
    • I prefer other recreational drugs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/21/2023 at 02:00 PM

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reason I wanted to add that - on 'other threads' which involve a discussion of alcohol there is always a 'puritanical' group who simply cannot accept the middle ground between abstinence and destructive dependency... 

I thought I should clear this up as there are more than one type of non-drinkers.

Suggesting a non-drinker must be abstaining is a narrow assessment. Some non-drinkers might be abstaining as they used to be heavy drinkers or they are alcoholics and they hopped on the wagon.

I've never drunk alcohol and don't like it. It's that simple. I prefer other beverages. I have been drunk and hate the feeling afterwards. I occasionally partake in a glass of wine. I'm not a non-drinker for health reasons. 

There's no judging others who drink, and often I go out with friends who drink. I would suggest people take better care of their livers though, as they are hard to replace and one of the most important organs in the body.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I thought I should clear this up as there are more than one type of non-drinkers.

Suggesting a non-drinker must be abstaining is a narrow assessment. Some non-drinkers might be abstaining as they used to be heavy drinkers or they are alcoholics and they hopped on the wagon.

I've never drunk alcohol and don't like it. It's that simple. I prefer other beverages. I have been drunk and hate the feeling afterwards. I occasionally partake in a glass of wine. I'm not a non-drinker for health reasons. 

There's no judging others who drink, and often I go out with friends who drink. I would suggest people take better care of their livers though, as they are hard to replace and one of the most important organs in the body.

Well at least you realise not everyone the same.

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

I'll have green tea, thanks! :thumbsup: (Weird, hey)?

Not really I have liquorice tea, green tea of many flavours, mint tea, liptons tea, water, soda, soy milk, coconut milk and Chang beer. ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well at least you realise not everyone the same.

Sure. Could you explain what I don't realise? The reason for my explanation is that people who drink often feel that non-drinkers are judgemental (puritanical). I don't give a flying f*** how much people drink or what other drugs they may use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Alcohol has been listed as a Class 1 carcinogen since 1989. Its health effects in terms of liver cirrhosis have been known for about 300 years.

If it was listed as a carcinogen since 1989, I don't think too many people knew about it. 

Maybe now that aspect is getting more attention.

Another aspect I am interested in is what does it do to the gut microbiome? You know how when you have a wound, you pour rubbing alcohol on it? Alcohol kills everything, doesn't it? What is it doing inside the gut? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This poll is not fair. If you are alone you are only allowed to drink less than 4 standard drinks a day. And less in this case means only up to 3 ???? And there is nothing to select if you mix the drinks with recreational drugs ????????????????

16 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Takes some doing? An alcohol alternative?

2 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

This poll is not fair. If you are alone you are only allowed to drink less than 4 standard drinks a day. And less in this case means only up to 3 ???? And there is nothing to select if you mix the drinks with recreational drugs ????????????????

IMO if you consumed more than 4 standard drinks a day alone and every day, you would be getting into the alcoholic category. Perhaps I should have said 4 or less.

Obviously, there are quite a few permutations and combinations of alcohol and other drugs, I can't explore them all in a poll.

One word of caution. Paracetamol is a very common painkiller. Combined with alcohol, it can cause lethal liver damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alcohol is dependent on ME! 

Without me and my army of billions of like-minded reality-distorting warriors, alc would just sit in a warehouse like a pathetic loser and rot away till its shelf life expires.  Much like the ugly women who would never get any D without drunk men around them to compromise their standards.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

If it was listed as a carcinogen since 1989, I don't think too many people knew about it. 

Maybe now that aspect is getting more attention.

Another aspect I am interested in is what does it do to the gut microbiome? You know how when you have a wound, you pour rubbing alcohol on it? Alcohol kills everything, doesn't it? What is it doing inside the gut? 

Alcohol is one of the factors in mouth, esophageal and stomach cancers. In the colon, it can induce diarrhea.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I think a lot of expats are drinking out off boredom, then it becomes a habit.

When in a foreign country and not speaking the language there is simply not a lot to do unless you’re a loner and like exploring around on your own. The welcoming accessible activities for expats that are sociable in nature and don’t speak Thai are mostly bars and girls.

I think you may be right for quite a few expats. Back in the day when I still frequented bars, I reckon I bought far more lady drinks than I had myself.

I had a scooter, and getting on it half cut never seemed like a good idea to me. Especially if I was doing takeout with a pillion passenger.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1