How dependent are you on alcohol?

Lacessit

My alcohol consumption.  

197 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of drinker are you?

• I am an alcoholic.
    • I drink a lot in bars when I am with my friends.
    • I drink alone, in moderation. That is, less than 4 standard drinks a day.
    • I drink occasionally, a glass of wine or a beer.
    • I don't drink at all
    • I prefer other recreational drugs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/21/2023 at 02:00 PM

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

why are you too worried at your age? enjoy - you seem to love virtual signaling

virtual signalling indeed.

how is this virtue signalling? The man is recounting his experince, and that involves moving away from alcohol.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm a wine drinker and whisky one day a week at the weekends with friends.. I break for 2 or 3 days a week alcohol free.  Lots of judgmental "I saved myself posts" on here - if you don't like it or it makes you feel special not to do it then don't drink!

Just now, n00dle said:

virtual signalling indeed.

how is this virtue signalling? The man is recounting his experince, and that involves moving away from alcohol.

I could not care less if he moved away from alcohol, sex or his misses. Of course it is virtual signaling. Live and let live.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Goat said:

Sorry I offended whoever.

havent offended me, but consuming alcohol in thse quatities on a regular basis is ridiculously unhealthy whether you are an alcoholic or not.  

I suspect your liver would object if it could.

7 minutes ago, Goat said:

Well I see someone has complained.

I drink two little cans of chang per hour from 3 pm beer oclock to dinner at 8pm. Dont even feel it, i just like the refreshing taste. If i did drink all ten in an hour i would feel it.

Then a bottle of wine duing a large meal. over one and a half hours. Feeling talkative but not drunk. If I skolled a bottle of wine I would be drunk.

Then start on the Chivas after dinner, and drink doubles for the taste. Once again, not overly fast. Maybe 2-3 per hour. Getting drunk but if only drink half a bottle, only medium drunk.

There are many people I know who can outdrink me, because of the speed in which they down the drinks. I also get hangovers if drinking quickly.

Maybe a teetotaller or light or occassional drinker would not realise or forgets speed is more important than quantity when it comes to drunkeness.

I am not an alcoholic. Because I can stop whenever i WANT to.

sorry Goat,    i'm just joking with ya on that .....  haha    I love a drink also.  

cheers????

9 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I could not care less if he moved away from alcohol, sex or his misses. Of course it is virtual signaling. Live and let live.

if you are going to repeatedly use a phrase you dont understand, you should at least make the effor to spell it right.

it is VIRTUE SIGNALLING, not virtual signalling, 

Im sorry you are offended by people recounting their approach to and experiences with alcohol in a thread titled: 

Edited by n00dle

36 minutes ago, n00dle said:

if you are going to repeatedly use a phrase you dont understand, you should at least make the effor to spell it right.

it is VIRTUE SIGNALLING, not virtual signalling, 

Im sorry you are offended by people recounting their approach to and experiences with alcohol in a thread titled: 

"Make the effor to spell it right?" Thanks for a good laugh.

I enjoy a few chang beers in the evening about 4 bottles 620ml 

Have my hospital appointment next month

Had a weigh in my weight more than I thought no surprise there ????

Now cutting back on the beer 2 bottles in the evening Plus change my eating habit as well need to lose weight ????

Starting today  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Well I see someone has complained.

I drink two little cans of chang per hour from 3 pm beer oclock to dinner at 8pm. Dont even feel it, i just like the refreshing taste. If i did drink all ten in an hour i would feel it.

Then a bottle of wine duing a large meal. over one and a half hours. Feeling talkative but not drunk. If I skolled a bottle of wine I would be drunk.

Then start on the Chivas after dinner, and drink doubles for the taste. Once again, not overly fast. Maybe 2-3 per hour. Getting drunk but if only drink half a bottle, only medium drunk.

There are many people I know who can outdrink me, because of the speed in which they down the drinks. I also get hangovers if drinking quickly.

Maybe a teetotaller or light or occassional drinker would not realise or forgets speed is more important than quantity when it comes to drunkeness.

I am not an alcoholic. Because I can stop whenever i WANT to.

Nothing wrong with drinking in moderation, your liver will thank you later.????????????????????

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Alcohol is one of the factors in mouth, esophageal and stomach cancers. In the colon, it can induce diarrhea.

Oral cancers are mostly seen in older men with one risk factor being alcahol however smoking is the main cause. Both together is very risky. 

More and more oral cancers now are caused by the HPV virus and rates are raising across the world amongst men and women. I believe most people are at risk of this form of cancer who have divulged in oral sex. 

1 hour ago, Irate priest said:

Oral cancers are mostly seen in older men with one risk factor being alcahol however smoking is the main cause. Both together is very risky. 

More and more oral cancers now are caused by the HPV virus and rates are raising across the world amongst men and women. I believe most people are at risk of this form of cancer who have divulged in oral sex. 

I think you mean indulged, divulged is a verb used to describe the disclosure of sensitive information.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

I enjoy a few chang beers in the evening about 4 bottles 620ml 

Have my hospital appointment next month

Had a weigh in my weight more than I thought no surprise there ????

Now cutting back on the beer 2 bottles in the evening Plus change my eating habit as well need to lose weight ????

Starting today  

If you drink spirits instead of beer, you will lose weight faster.

Weight is a function of the amount of carbohydrates you are eating. Beer is loaded with carbohydrates, spirits have next to none.

My weight went from 93 kg to 78 kg on a low carb diet, and has stayed there.

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you drink spirits instead of beer, you will lose weight faster.

Weight is a function of the amount of carbohydrates you are eating. Beer is loaded with carbohydrates, spirits have next to none.

My weight went from 93 kg to 78 kg on a low carb diet, and has stayed there.

Vodka, gin and tequila have the least calories. I like tequila and drink it when I can, but haven't found it here yet around where I live. I always drank wine, not much, but now it's beer and some whisky, which I normally wouldn't touch. I kept my weight around 80 kilos, ripped, from age 18 to 62. Since I came here, I couldn't find a gym close, 30 kilos away, until recently and it doesn't open until 14:00, so it's kinda inconvenient. You definitely do not need near as many carbs as you age, especially if you aren't training as frequently. I try to keep the beer low because of that, because drinking any calories leads to a surge in blood sugar.

I had a friend who drank a lot. After a few months , I  stopped completely as I was afraid of going the same way. Now I only drink a good glass of wine when eating out , but never in Thailand as the wine is awful. Once spent a fortune for a friends birthday in a wine shop on a good red ( one I knew from France) and is was slightly corked .Never again. So if I have a drink every few months it would be a gin tonic in Thailand.

In my university days, I studied in Stamford Huahin. Almost every night my friends and I would hit the night market for food then the small bars. We've come across a lot of old Western and European men who drank alone. We did feel for them, so we usually start a convo or sometimes they would say something that would become a long convo. It's priceless to see their faces lit up and sad to know many of them felt unappreciated at home.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, chalawaan said:

A liver scare finally sorted me out last year. 

After 4 months off the sauce I was back to baseline with my prior test results at 4x the "high" readings, according  to the doc.

I can't find the exact medical terms right now. 

I lost a load of weight too!

I still think I've done permanent damage, something still twinges in there every day... But that's all it is for now. 

FWIW I went cold turkey, I was overseas at the time too.  

Separate to the current situation above (and this is not medical advice, nor endorsed or recommended) but I took some magic mushrooms down in Koh Lanta a few years ago, and the wonderful unexpected side effect was they removed the desire to drink immediately for about 18 months, then it gradually wore off, and during Covid I was back at it!

I was also dry for about 5 years from age 28, just sorting out my spiritual life, and I was a big binge drinker since late teens before that, your typical young Scots/Irish yahoo! 

I'll just add this PS:

I've been fortunate enough to just stop anytime, I well know many cannot!

My tragedy is, I simply never wanted to stop. I'm a bit of a nihilist in that regard. During 2021 I was putting away 72 cans a week (three cases) and the odd cocktail, shared bottle of vino, with the missus. 

Just curious...if you knew you had a year left to live...no matter what...would you drink or abstein?