How dependent are you on alcohol?

Lacessit

My alcohol consumption.  

197 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of drinker are you?

• I am an alcoholic.
    • I drink a lot in bars when I am with my friends.
    • I drink alone, in moderation. That is, less than 4 standard drinks a day.
    • I drink occasionally, a glass of wine or a beer.
    • I don't drink at all
    • I prefer other recreational drugs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/21/2023 at 02:00 PM

I usually unwind at home on Saturday nights with some rum & cokes - we usually karaoke for couple of hours....

Once finished the bottle goes away until the next Saturday....

HOWEVER - today was a <deleted> day that really shouldn't have been & I'd probably welcome one, but won't.....

There wasn't a poll choice that fit me.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Alcohol is dependent on ME! 

Without me and my army of billions of like-minded reality-distorting warriors, alc would just sit in a warehouse like a pathetic loser and rot away till its shelf life expires.  Much like the ugly women who would never get any D without drunk men around them to compromise their standards.

AFAIK spirits have shelf lives of centuries. Beer certainly does, 6 months at best.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I think you may be right for quite a few expats. Back in the day when I still frequented bars, I reckon I bought far more lady drinks than I had myself.

I had a scooter, and getting on it half cut never seemed like a good idea to me. Especially if I was doing takeout with a pillion passenger.

Well I walk regularly out in the heat and the last thing I want is a beer, but I would die for a soda water.

when I see people with a beer I know they have good transportation options, big drinking problems or won’t make it very far.

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO if you consumed more than 4 standard drinks a day alone and every day, you would be getting into the alcoholic category. Perhaps I should have said 4 or less.

Obviously, there are quite a few permutations and combinations of alcohol and other drugs, I can't explore them all in a poll.

One word of caution. Paracetamol is a very common painkiller. Combined with alcohol, it can cause lethal liver damage.

This with Paracetamol and alcohol is correct. If I drink alcohol I don't take any pills and vice versa. And I know older retirees here that have to take pills all the time and can't drink one drop of alcohol because of this - or they will destroy their liver. But of course I see expats sitting here in the early afternoon already in bars and drinking every day. Boredom combined with heat and loneliness is not for everyone. And the older you get the less you can do. There are exceptions. Very old people that are still extremely fit. But I don't know many. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Sure. Could you explain what I don't realise? The reason for my explanation is that people who drink often feel that non-drinkers are judgemental (puritanical). I don't give a flying f*** how much people drink or what other drugs they may use.

concur.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

In the colon, it can induce diarrhea.

Have you just cracked the mystery Phuket bug?

Take-away Friday isn't the same without a starter of a Martini. (3 parts Gin, 1 part vodka and 3/4 part Lillet Blanc. Shaken not stirred. Couple of beers or ciders Sat and Sun, dry the rest of the week.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO if you consumed more than 4 standard drinks a day alone and every day, you would be getting into the alcoholic category. Perhaps I should have said 4 or less.

Obviously, there are quite a few permutations and combinations of alcohol and other drugs, I can't explore them all in a poll.

One word of caution. Paracetamol is a very common painkiller. Combined with alcohol, it can cause lethal liver damage.

Maybe, but paracetamol with alcohol will definitely make you fly.... Discovered that by coincidence.... 

A liver scare finally sorted me out last year. 

After 4 months off the sauce I was back to baseline with my prior test results at 4x the "high" readings, according  to the doc.

I can't find the exact medical terms right now. 

I lost a load of weight too!

I still think I've done permanent damage, something still twinges in there every day... But that's all it is for now. 

FWIW I went cold turkey, I was overseas at the time too.  

Separate to the current situation above (and this is not medical advice, nor endorsed or recommended) but I took some magic mushrooms down in Koh Lanta a few years ago, and the wonderful unexpected side effect was they removed the desire to drink immediately for about 18 months, then it gradually wore off, and during Covid I was back at it!

I was also dry for about 5 years from age 28, just sorting out my spiritual life, and I was a big binge drinker since late teens before that, your typical young Scots/Irish yahoo! 

I'll just add this PS:

I've been fortunate enough to just stop anytime, I well know many cannot!

My tragedy is, I simply never wanted to stop. I'm a bit of a nihilist in that regard. During 2021 I was putting away 72 cans a week (three cases) and the odd cocktail, shared bottle of vino, with the missus. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1

I'm in none of the poll's categories.

It seems the poll is made for people who always do the same day after day.

I usually drink very little.

Often nothing for weeks. Sometimes wine, beer.

A glass of wine a day seems so restrictive.

Drinking alone ... sometimes.

Sometimes much wine (my father's got some nice bottles) and then some rum (Trois Rivières) and/or Chartreuse and similar. Sometimes I get hammered.

Where is the "I just drink what and as much as feels good in the moment" option ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Used to drink in my youth , then got sensible and never touched it since ,Alcohol has a lot to answer

for , peoples health that abuse it, drivers who think its OK to get pissed then get in a vehicle , Family

life can be affected by the drunk husband /boyfriend , who drinks too much a beats the $hit out of

their partener, ect , etc , it's people who use it to excess that are the problem ,it has to be in moderation,

and "Don't drink and drive " EVER .......

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wonder why I don’t see more vehicle accidents and such with people drinking so much. Seems like it would be a huge problem here, especially on motorbikes. Almost never see an accident. Maybe they are quickly removed from the road.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

I still think I've done permanent damage, something still twinges in there every day... But that's all it is for now. 

I get twinges near my liver too, but Sheryl told me in another thread that the liver doesn't have any pain receptors so it's referred pain from somewhere else. Dunno where, that's the problem with referred pain.

Edited by Lemsta69

2 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Maybe, but paracetamol with alcohol will definitely make you fly.... Discovered that by coincidence.... 

I've never experienced such an effect so I guess you got "lucky". However since I started hearing about the potential liver issues I don't take paracetamol with alcohol anymore. 

10 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

This with Paracetamol and alcohol is correct. If I drink alcohol I don't take any pills and vice versa. And I know older retirees here that have to take pills all the time and can't drink one drop of alcohol because of this - or they will destroy their liver. But of course I see expats sitting here in the early afternoon already in bars and drinking every day. Boredom combined with heat and loneliness is not for everyone. And the older you get the less you can do. There are exceptions. Very old people that are still extremely fit. But I don't know many. 

I wouldn't say I am extremely fit. I play golf, swim. I have two exercise routines I do every day. I am 80 yo.

I frankly don't understand boredom and loneliness. IMO that is a choice.

How can I be bored, with so many threads I can respond to?

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RayWright said:

Have you just cracked the mystery Phuket bug?

Take-away Friday isn't the same without a starter of a Martini. (3 parts Gin, 1 part vodka and 3/4 part Lillet Blanc. Shaken not stirred. Couple of beers or ciders Sat and Sun, dry the rest of the week.

I don't know if you remember Leo McKern in Rumpole of the Bailey. A frequently-repeated line of his was about Pommeroy's claret keeping him astonishingly regular.

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I wonder why I don’t see more vehicle accidents and such with people drinking so much. Seems like it would be a huge problem here, especially on motorbikes. Almost never see an accident. Maybe they are quickly removed from the road.

Depends on what time you are out and about.

I avoid travel after the sun goes down, that's when most of the drunks and druggies are on the road.

• Thumbs Up 1

These people do not have any alcohol dependence:

13737761_Screenshot2023-06-20at23-49-25Howdependentareyouonalcohol.png.8ab78694201a8528650cd20e608d24ee.png

The 3 questions do not belong in a "How dependent" questionnaire.

Having a regular alcohol need, routine, or situation where alcohol is considered essential, is an indicator of dependence, irrespective of volume consumed. 

The fact that the volume may be considered "safe", in terms of the physical damage it does to bodily organs, is irrelevant.

These people have a dependence:

93306397_Screenshot2023-06-21at00-20-33Howdependentareyouonalcohol.png.87ea84d45f7b1338a2b431ebb2221e85.png

Alcohol "need" is not the same as the bodily requirement for fluid replacement or  nourishment.  The argument that it is the same as those needs, or equivalent to the need an individual feels for exercise, or intellectual diversion, is specious.

35 minutes ago, Enoon said:

These people do not have any alcohol dependence:

13737761_Screenshot2023-06-20at23-49-25Howdependentareyouonalcohol.png.8ab78694201a8528650cd20e608d24ee.png

The 3 questions do not belong in a "How dependent" questionnaire.

Having a regular alcohol need, routine, or situation where alcohol is considered essential, is an indicator of dependence, irrespective of volume consumed. 

The fact that the volume may be considered "safe", in terms of the physical damage it does to bodily organs, is irrelevant.

These people have a dependence:

93306397_Screenshot2023-06-21at00-20-33Howdependentareyouonalcohol.png.87ea84d45f7b1338a2b431ebb2221e85.png

Alcohol "need" is not the same as the bodily requirement for fluid replacement or  nourishment.  The argument that it is the same as those needs, or equivalent to the need an individual feels for exercise, or intellectual diversion, is specious.

If you don't like the poll I commenced, start your own. Pick any subject you feel like posting.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know if you remember Leo McKern in Rumpole of the Bailey. A frequently-repeated line of his was about Pommeroy's claret keeping him astonishingly regular.

Never got into Rumpole, as was on ITV, to misquote Mark Twain, "a good programme ruined", due to the adverts. 

Being an ex-Oenophile, due to the cost out here, however, I did buy a bottle of 2016 Thai red wine the other day for 399THB, leaving it till the Silverstone weekend to demolish it with some cheese. Could be an enjoyable experience, or a quick relocation to the paint stripper / drain clearance department.

Not at all. I can go weeks without a drink. If in the US, I do enjoy fine wine. It is so over priced here, I don't drink much of it. And the beer here is awful. I think only Serbia and Italy make worse beer. Prefer Thai beer with ice, so the flavor is less obnoxious. And a cocktail on occasion. 

I don't enjoy being drunk. Not a good feeling. And I guess I don't have alot of inner pain, and sadness, that needs to be masked. Thankfully. 

14 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I've never drunk alcohol and don't like it. It's that simple. I prefer other beverages. I have been drunk and hate the feeling afterwards. I occasionally partake in a glass of wine. I'm not a non-drinker for health reasons. 

Never drunk..............been drunk........................partake............non-drinker.

Come on, make your mind up.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

we usually karaoke for couple of hours....

Once finished the bottle goes away until the next Saturday....

How much would be left in the rum bottle for next Saturday if a few of you are karaokeing for a few hours?

And the coke probably does you more harm than the rum!