Deposits In The Bank Don't Cut It Any More?

I am 65 and elligible for a retirement visa, but my son who is 28 lives with me and I would want him to be able to come with me. The old rules allowed longer term visas I believe for people under 50 if they deposited a certain amount in the bank and had sufficient resourses.

I have read all the information on the beginning of the Visa forum and the types of visa's available. There is no mention of this as a means of obtaining a visa. On another forumn someone currently living in Thailand under this type of visa, said he was grandfathered in as he was there before the changes.

He also said now to obtain the same type of visa requires a much larger deposit in a Thai bank, but I see no reference to this anywhere. Is this bogus information? My son has assets and income from a business we own together, but he is young, and I don't see any avenue for him to be able to stay there long term. Is there something I don't know?

You will have no problems.

Just deposit the 800K baht in a Thai bank and apply for extension of your Non Imm O visa.

As far as we know there are NO plans to withdraw the bank deposit condition for retirees.

I am sorry to say that your son has little chance of joining you, other than for a few months at a time.

With a double entry tourist visa he could stay almost 6 months, with a quick visa run in the middle.

It does not matter what resources he has, or what business you run back in your home country,

that will not help your son to stay in Thailand.

Unfortunately the 'investment' visa was killed off last year in the visa shake-up, those already using them are grandfathered, everyone else, tough!

I don't see any suitable vehicle for your son to stay long-term. Best he could manage is to return to your home country (US UK ??) and try for a non-o multi entry on the grounds of visiting family, certainly available from Hull in the UK, dunno about any friendly consulates in the US though, other countries probably not available :o

quote..........certainly available from Hull in the UK

if what I have heard last few days is true then the max is now 6 months..................extremely bad news

What ? I don't think there is a 6 month visa, just one year or a fixed number of entries. Nothing on their website about this.

What ? I don't think there is a 6 month visa, just one year or a fixed number of entries. Nothing on their website about this.

There is the tourist visa for more than one entry, usually valid for entry into Thailand within six months from the date of issue for the number of visits indicated on the visa.

--

Maestro

quote..........certainly available from Hull in the UK

if what I have heard last few days is true then the max is now 6 months..................extremely bad news

Gharknes, the text you quote refers to the multiple-entry non-O visa. Where and from whom did you hear in the last few days that this is now valid only for 6 months?

--

Maestro

Hi guys....actually...just got my multi entry "O" visa from Hull yesterday (Saturday)...cost £100 valid for 1 year...I believe I can get 15 months stay in Thailand with this visa..obviously having to do the "visa run" every 3 months.....roll on July 31st :o

The only legitimate way for a less than 50years old to visit Thailand for a longish period is a multiple tourist visa, 3x 60, days with a 30 days extension if you have good reason to stay longer.

I wouldn't call travel to Thailand by a man younger than 50 years and not married to a Thai on a non-O visa obtained from a Thai consulate by honestly declaring the purpose of his visit “to visit friends” illegal. Certainly, the Immigration Act does not forbid it, and the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the consulates are not public and therefore we cannot know what they say.

Would an honorary consul deliberately risk losing his position by acting contrary to firm instructions of his boss? I have serious doubts. If one consular official issues the non-O under certain conditions and another official does not, I suspect it is due to a different application of the consulate’s discretionary powers.

--

Maestro

Hi guys....actually...just got my multi entry "O" visa from Hull yesterday (Saturday)...cost £100 valid for 1 year...I believe I can get 15 months stay in Thailand with this visa..obviously having to do the "visa run" every 3 months.....roll on July 31st :o

well that's good news, I had a feeling what I heard was not quite straight forward, perhaps an individual issue with one person.

I have had 2 12 month Mult 0's and hope to get 2 more then I hit the magic 50, why they have an age limit is beyond me