In the photo attached... does it mean we have no safety cut functioning in our building.

ubonr1971

1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

Basically, its a complete nightmare to isolate the problem...

Actually if you could get a real electrician, rather than a nightmare it’s a question of are you prepared to spend the money on the electrician’s time & ripping out enough of the structure to locate the problem. 
For a competent lecky it is not that difficult from a technical point of view just very time consuming so relatively expensive.

The nightmare is actually finding a real electrician willing to work on domestic installations.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 7:17 AM, eisfeld said:

Looks like a shunt release for remote control to me. And it seems all three breaker toggles are physically hacked together and then to the shunt release? Not 100% sure as picture not super clear.

I replaced the RCBO and put the new one in. For the last 2 nights it started raining here 4am in the morning. The electric box tripped both mornings. I am suspcious that it might be the outside spotlights ie water impacting the wiring out there. Is this a possibility?

To test this should I ask an electrician to remove all such wiring ie disable all outside spotlights and then test again?

On 6/22/2023 at 6:38 AM, smoo1954 said:

Because the photo you took is not very sharp it’s hard to be sure but it looks like the single module item attached to the end of your 3 phase breaker could possibly be the RCD. Take another photo.

I replaced the RCBO and put the new one in. For the last 2 nights it started raining here 4am in the morning. The electric box tripped both mornings. I am suspcious that it might be the outside spotlights ie water impacting the wiring out there. Is this a possibility?

To test this should I ask an electrician to remove all such wiring ie disable all outside spotlights and then test again?

1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

Very possibly.

An easy test would be to simply open the breaker that controls the outside lights. It's not foolproof but could be guiding you in the right direction.

As Crossy said you should have a breaker that is responsible for the outside lights that you can open to take them out of the equation. And if that doesn't work then you can try the other breakers one by one and figure out that way which part of the circuit trips the RCBO. After that you probably need an electrician but you'll save him a lot of time by having narrowed down the search field.

If it only trips when it rains then that's a good hint that the issue is somewhere outside.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 6:58 PM, ubonr1971 said:

Basically, its a complete nightmare to isolate the problem...

Months ago we installed a new bathroom. Actually the builder ripped off the old tiles on walls and floor. But he didnt 'waterproof' the room. I didnt know about this. So the new RCBO device will go in the box tonight. And from tonight for 1 week I will not allow anyone to use that shower. Will wait for rain and see if it trips. If no tripping then I will allow use of the shower and see if it trips. Im a bit suspcious. Its above the electric box room to the right 1 to 2m. Wondering if water is leaking on wires there

Hmm, all electrical cables are ment to be  encased in pvc pipe in the walls. Check inside the power box for moisture. Maybe the new RCBO will solve the problems. Like I said its a matter of elimination. Cheers

I would have the rcbo replaced and hunt down the leak if there is one.  If there are seperate circuits for lighting,  appliances,  water heater I would put each on their own rcbo breaker and rewire the box. Branded Breakers can be got on Lazada and aliexpress cheap nowadays. Chint and tomzn are in my boxes.  It will make isolating the fault easier and future faults easier.  The usual leaky  culprits are things with elements like water heater,  kettles,  ovens. Unfortunately,  like someone mentioned already , you need to find someone with good reasoning skills to fault find. Wiring new rcbo not so much but still experienxed enough not to kill themselves. 

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Thailand? or all across the world.

Certainly, Thailand has no such blanket requirement, but it depends upon the type of wire/cable in use.

Single insulated wires need to have secondary protection (conduit), insulated and sheathed cables don't, although they are often run in conduit for concealment over at least part of the run.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 4:10 PM, eisfeld said:

As Crossy said you should have a breaker that is responsible for the outside lights that you can open to take them out of the equation. And if that doesn't work then you can try the other breakers one by one and figure out that way which part of the circuit trips the RCBO. After that you probably need an electrician but you'll save him a lot of time by having narrowed down the search field.

If it only trips when it rains then that's a good hint that the issue is somewhere outside.

It didnt rain all day here and no tripping. Then it rained hard at 6am the other day. Went downstairs and it had tripped. Went outside and one of the spotlights was flickering. The sparkie is coming tonight to disconect all wiring and we test it again I suppose. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

It didnt rain all day here and no tripping. Then it rained hard at 6am the other day. Went downstairs and it had tripped. Went outside and one of the spotlights was flickering. The sparkie is coming tonight to disconect all wiring and we test it again I suppose. 

The flickering spotlight is a very good indicator that its live could be connected to ground through water. One could try to reproduce it when it's dry by spraying water over the light and then on wherever the cable is running to simulate rain. But please careful. Don't have other people go anywhere near the wet parts and wear proper shoes and rubber gloves when trying this. Probably better to let a sparky figure it out!

• Thanks 1