Best way to explore Isaan?

fred2028

Here's a good website for you @fred2028 that lists attractions in Udon Thani province. My favourite 'must see sites' are:

3. Wat Pa Phu Kon High in the hills to the east with a huge reclining Buddha.

5. Wat PhothiSomphon (find on Google maps as Wat Pa Ban Kho) This temple is amazing. The best by far Stuka I've ever seen and interesting museum.

And one that isn't listed here is the Chinese Cultural Centre in down-town Udon. It's an interesting historical museum and a pleasant change from the (yawn) 'not another temple syndrome'. I used to visit this place regularly not the least because I have a particular interest in Confucius who is depicted there.

Plenty more stuff to find and explore.

• Like 1

Far too big an area to cover in just 4 weeks.

Basically it come down to what you are interested in. There are the well known commercial places like snake farm or croc pits. There are some wonderful Buddhas and Buddha related stuff that you would be directed to.

But there are dozens of places that are not on the beaten trail. Between my village and Udon City, there is a horse breeding centre, a koi-carp farm, a silk-village and many other places of interest.

Close by, in the other direction there is Kham Cha nod, a film set (open to the public) and buffalo riding.

In the Nong Khai area there are canoe trips down the Mekong, hang gliding and fantastic markets to visit.

Like fishing? Like animals? Like temples? Like strange rituals? Love nature?

12 months would not do this wonderful part of the world justice.

Edited by owl sees all

On 6/23/2023 at 12:11 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Pick up a girl from Isaan, i.e. in Pattaya, and let her be your guide.

That is what many of us did. And obviously it's a way to do it on full intensity.

I-Will-Not-Love-You-Long-Time.jpg.496d3eca6f54ed0084d365c6127d51b0.jpg

I hate to admit, but you are spot on. In life, always keep things simple... and entertaining.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 9:08 PM, Moonlover said:

And one that isn't listed here is the Chinese Cultural Centre in down-town Udon. It's an interesting historical museum and a pleasant change from the (yawn) 'not another temple syndrome'. I used to visit this place regularly not the least because I have a particular interest in Confucius who is depicted there.

Indeed!!

Just the fishy section.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thumbs Up 1

Drive up to Isaan, stay in a resort, which are abundant in Isaan (or homestay if you prefer) ask for a local guide and drive with her around...

...she introduced me to villagers, made me eating local food, I didn't understand a bloody word 

and instead of 5 days i stayed 3 weeks...

That was 2002...

...now I am happily living on a farm in Isaan, married to the local guide and know every village and many local people in Mahasarakham area...

4 minutes ago, Reginald Prewster said:

Drive up to Isaan, stay in a resort, which are abundant in Isaan (or homestay if you prefer) ask for a local guide and drive with her around...

...she introduced me to villagers, made me eating local food, I didn't understand a bloody word 

and instead of 5 days i stayed 3 weeks...

That was 2002...

...now I am happily living on a farm in Isaan, married to the local guide and know every village and many local people in Mahasarakham area...

If ya looking for a wife. Get a guide!

• Thumbs Up 1