Mini Cooper Crashes into School Bus, 15 Students Injured. Porsche Crashes into Store

webfact

11 hours ago, stoner said:

in the case of driving it is quite easy to paint them with a brush. statistically they are among the worst drivers on planet earth. that is just a fact. 

and to compare any of what happens on the roads here to back home or western countries is just plain silly. 

Kindly provide specific examples of the stats to which you refer. Or are you in reality relying on popular Asean Now mythological folklore?

And your suggestion that comparisons between Thailand and Western countries are silly is IMHO a perfect illustration of the anti-Thai mindset which is so pervasive on this forum.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

But this is a Thai post... what happens in the rest of the world is irrelevant.

Yep nothing - and I mean nothing - must be allowed to get in the way of demonising Thais on here, must it?

6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Yep nothing - and I mean nothing - must be allowed to get in the way of demonising Thais on here, must it?

You get out there and hug as many as you can! Show them you care!  :thumbsup:

Edited by 2baht

11 hours ago, stoner said:

in the case of driving it is quite easy to paint them with a brush. statistically they are among the worst drivers on planet earth. that is just a fact.

There is alot to complain about Thai driving and roads, but this thread is not about that, it is about road racing accidents. And my particular  exchange that this is not a Thai phenomenon, and that road racing is as much a problem in the west as it is in Thailand, perhaps even more so.  So the post that claims that this occurred because of Thais inability to understand the automobile is fundamentally wrong. If you like I can post many such recent incidents in the US. 

Now as it pertains to Thai drivers being the worst drivers in the world, I would say that then you have not been many places in the world.  We spend a considerable tim traveling to Greece and Italy every summer, we are going there again this August and I will tell you, compared to drivers there, Thais are angels. my Thai wife refuses to drive there. I alway rented an automatic car so my wife could drive it also, this year since she never drives I have reserved a stick shift Citroen C3 and have some fun. :tongue:

I know you can site the road accidents in thailand as it relates to the world, but statistics can be misleading. Thailand has the most motorbikes in the world , remove the motorbike accidents percentage , and the picture  changes considerably.

Below is the most recent  statistics I could find.:

"According to the World Health Organization's Global Status Report on Road Safety 2018, motorcycles were involved in approximately 70% of total road traffic fatalities in Thailand. This indicates that the majority of fatal road accidents in the country involved motorcycles

If you want to review the report: 

https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789241565684

Anyway. that's my opinion .  If you feel differently please provide me contradicting evidence and I would be happy to reconsider.  

47 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I respectfully disagree.

Someone reacted with a Sad emoji and I am wondering if what he/she was sad about was the respectful part, or that I disagree. Being that I dont want to make anyone sad , I am there for changing by reply to

"Hell yea I agree"

sorry to have caused you such discomfort 

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

This indicates that the majority of fatal road accidents in the country involved motorcycles "

all that this proves is motorcycles are the preferred method of transportation. their ability to control and properly operate those bikes is the issue. driving a car vs a bike requires many of the same skills and cognitive abilities. 

1 minute ago, stoner said:

all that this proves is motorcycles are the preferred method of transportation. their ability to control and properly operate those bikes is the issue. driving a car vs a bike requires many of the same skills and cognitive abilities. 

I am sure you would agree that regardless of the skills aspect motorbikes are a lot more dangerous and in the event of an accident would cause more serious harm.  

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I am sure you would agree that regardless of the skills aspect motorbikes are a lot more dangerous and in the event of an accident would cause more serious harm.  

100 percent. 

and you can agree ( i hope) that the lack of skills in general displayed by the average driver here contributes immensely to those huge totals of accidents and serious harm. 

if they had better training and education i am positive the numbers would drop drastically. 

2 hours ago, stoner said:

100 percent. 

and you can agree ( i hope) that the lack of skills in general displayed by the average driver here contributes immensely to those huge totals of accidents and serious harm. 

if they had better training and education i am positive the numbers would drop drastically. 

Of course I would agree,

there are a lot of factors invo;ved. Another factor  would be road conditions. In the US and come countries in Europe I have been at, most Highways are isolated , there is an entrance to enter, and an exit to depart, and nothing else in-between Here in Thailand most highways I have been in are lined with vendors selling things , people and dogs crossing etc. ,  And I am sure there other factors contributing that we have not thought of. perhaps you can think of one.

The point is that we can not  just blame the Thai driver. , A) conditions are not as bad as statistics might suggest, and B) what ever the true statistical ranking, we can not lay all of it at the  Thai driver's feet. there are many factors and the driver is only one of them 

Edited by sirineou

Posts on the reporting of the OP have been removed.

17. The ASEAN NOW news team gathers and disseminates news bulletins from Thai and international sources, and republishes them in the news forums for our members' information and enjoyment. Our news team works hard to bring quality content to the news forums and should be respected for their efforts. Comments such as "slow news day" or "clickbait headline" are disrespectful and unwelcome. Such comments will be sanctioned. Original articles, especially in the Thai or foreign language press can sometimes have grammatical mistakes or misspellings. ASEAN NOW is not responsible for these nor does ASEAN NOW have the right to alter content it is reprinting from another source. Similarly, ASEAN NOW is not responsible for any opinions reflected or quoted in reprinted news stories.

16 hours ago, stoner said:

it is the biggest factor though. by a huge margin. the lack of education and training accounts for most of the issues. 

Perhaps but that's arguable. 

Notice I back up my argument with quotes and links, but all I get is unsubstantiated opinion. I am not saying that such opinion is incorrect, but I am saying that is anecdotal.  

The point that I make is that when adjusted for variables unique to Thailand  

(According to the BBC, there are up to 20 million registered motorbikes in the country and a million more that are unregistered. Thailand also has the highest motorbike accident deaths in the world with an average of 5,000 motorcyclist deaths recorded annually.) 

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-ride-motorbikes.html

Second motorbike ownership is Vietnam, with a much larger population, but lower number of motorbikes. 

Then we have the poor infustracture, and lax traffic  regulations, and other contributory factors. 

Adjusted for that , then Thailand's road accidents are on par with most of the world. with less motorbikes , better road infustracture and strict traffic law enforcement.

Unless one disputes the above, then one has to conclude  what culpability assigned to the Thai driver should  also be on par,  regardless if  it's the highest rated factor or the lowest. because if it is in thailand, then it is also in other parts of the world. 

So in conclusion the road racing accident can not be solely attributed to the skills of the Thai 

I rest my case:tongue: 

• Confused 1

On 6/25/2023 at 10:34 AM, OJAS said:

By demonising their poor driving, maybe they will be motivated to do something about it? 

On 6/26/2023 at 9:02 AM, sirineou said:

Adjusted for that , then Thailand's road accidents are on par with most of the world. with less motorbikes , better road infustracture and strict traffic law enforcement.

Nonsense. You are making stuff up to suit your agenda.

Commuting to work I see accidents on a very regular basis, I've even seen a hit-and-run happen as well as several fatalities (in the aftermath, fortunately not as they occurred).

Never saw that back in the UK. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Nonsense. You are making stuff up to suit your agenda

My agenda? What agenda is that?

Perhaps it is the same as the BBC's agenda?

"

(According to the BBC, there are up to 20 million registered motorbikes in the country and a million more that are unregistered. Thailand also has the highest motorbike accident deaths in the world with an average of 5,000 motorcyclist deaths recorded annually.) 

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-ride-motorbikes.html

"

Perhaps you are right and I unknowingly have conspired with the BBC , so 

on the top of this forum page, third link from the left, there is a link to Chat GPT, you know that AI the whole world has been talking about.

So I asked GPT:

"does thailand have the highest motorbike accident rate

Because , you know, I might be wrong and unowly have an agenda.

This is what the AI (artificial intelligence) said:

"Yes, Thailand has one of the highest motorbike accident rates in the world, with an average of more than 70 deaths per day on the road, and a large percentage of those deaths being motorbike riders. According to the World Health Organization, Thailand has the second highest death rate from road accidents among ASEAN countries after Vietnam. This is due to a variety of factors such as poor road infrastructure, lack of traffic regulations and enforcement, and reckless driving habits. It is important to be cautious and take proper safety measures when operating a motorbike in Thailand or any other country with high accident rates. "

But you might say "well the AI has a adenda also " and I agree it certainly does, but it's agenda is to exterminate human kind, have you not seen the movie? How would warning us that motorbikes are dangerous and could kill us all help it's agenda? One would think that it would say " don't worry motorbikes are perfectly fine , very few people riding the die, you all go and ride motorbikes , " Hehehehe. stupid humans.  

46 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

So after thinking about it and to be fair ,I did a bit more research in the subject

Question: what percentage of road accidents in Thailand are caused by motorbikes?

Answer:According to the World Health Organization, motorcycles account for approximately 74% of all road traffic accidents in Thailand. This makes them the most common type of vehicle involved in accidents.

If you don't believe me, chat GPT is up there. Go ahead and ask it the same questions.

Sorry about the comedy routine on my previous answer , I just could not resist. But you did insinuate that I was intellectually dishonest and had an agenda. 

59 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
On 6/26/2023 at 9:02 AM, sirineou said:

Sirineou is quite right....  no nonsense at all. 

Just one example, there are more 4 wheels+ road deaths per 100,000 of population in the USA than in Thailand. 

Do the basic maths and you will see for yourself....  it surprised me too.

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just one example, there are more 4 wheels+ road deaths per 100,000 of population in the USA than in Thailand. 

and how about motorbikes ? 

44 minutes ago, sirineou said:

This is due to a variety of factors such as poor road infrastructure, lack of traffic regulations and enforcement, and reckless driving habits.

who is to blame for these factors ? surely thai have to take responsibility for all of them. which as pointed out all contribute towards the totals here. so the blame certainly lays with them as they built maintain and live in the system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stoner said:

and how about motorbikes ? 

who is to blame for these factors ? surely thai have to take responsibility for all of them. which as pointed out all contribute towards the totals here. so the blame certainly lays with them as they built maintain and live in the system.

Do you think the same level of danger exists for cars as it does for motorbikes ???

I hope we can agree that motorbike are a lot more dangerous, would you not  agree???? 

Then would not think it reasonable to think that the accident rate in a country that has a lot more dangerous vehicles would be higher not because the drivers are bad, tough I am sure they also have a part to play like any country in the world , but because the coefficient of danger is higher.?

PS: "The chances of a fatality in a motorcycle accident are approximately 30 times higher than in a car.

Motorcycle accidents have a staggering 80% injury or death rate, while car accidents remain around 20%"

https://www.jdpower.com/motorcycles/shopping-guides/motorcycle-vs-car-accident-statistics

Edited by sirineou
added PS.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Do the basic maths and you will see for yourself....  it surprised me too.

How can the statistics from Thailand be trusted? For example, we know they don't count those that do not die at the scene, and we are reliant on what sources to properly report and log all traffic accidents?

They don't even have professional ambulance services, just volunteers. 

Sorry, but you'll have to do a lot more than fag packet maths to convince me mate.