Possible return to the UK, without any money.

8 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

I have today touched base with Blackpool CAB via email, but it will be at least 1 week before I will receive any reply.

I have contacted the NHS, and their reply was that I will be placed on a 2 year waiting list to address my mental and physical health issues. 

Sorry to hear about your problems, it could have happened to any of us.

Divorce crippled my retirement plans and lost me my home as well.

But have you thought that there is no waiting list for accommodation and full health care the moment you enter the UK prison system? And when you come out, they also provide a half-way house and continued mental care support.

Edited by BritManToo

About a year ago there was a thread about the expense of the UK, a prominent poster on here countered that argument.

He was back in the Uk for a while but had managed to find a Blackpool guest house large room that was just 400 pounds a month. Perhaps if he is reading this thread he would offer you the details and may respond? however it was during the Covid period and things maybe have changed.

At the end of August beginning of September when the holiday period ends this guesthouse ( if the details are ever revealed?) or many others may be glad to offer similar deals.

You could try to get a GP locally perhaps your old one? as you are from Blackpool and or if needs must rock up at ER with chest pains or severe head pains etc they are duty bound and would investigate further and get you quickly in the system, also 24hr mental health help lines must embrace your situation if you are on the edge with issues.

Local AA group would also offer immediate help of some sort that doesnt seem available here in Thailand.

Also because your house has a repossession order you are technically not intentionally homeless and the local council may have a duty to house you even if that is initially only paying for the b&b you stay in.

Some thoughts i hope may help.

Good luck!

Edited by sapson
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

That was me, but the guesthouse room was of identical dimensions to a UK prison cell, had no heating (this was February 2023, so after Covid) and I had to buy a standalone heater to keep warm), no hot shower water, loads of black mould climbing up the wall, all guesthouse facilities closed and the teenage manager stole my post on several occasions

For sure wasnt you i was referring to! unless you have an alias.

Could mention the users name but perhaps not good forum etiquette to do so,? he was apparently in a large room and it was quite pleasant all in 400 quid without food obviously. A fully functioning guesthouse by the description..... unless the poster was in fantasy land? you never know.

Long term not ideal but an initial roof over the head.

45 minutes ago, sapson said:

For sure wasnt you i was referring to! unless you have an alias.

Could mention the users name but perhaps not good forum etiquette to do so,? he was apparently in a large room and it was quite pleasant all in 400 quid without food obviously. A fully functioning guesthouse by the description..... unless the poster was in fantasy land? you never know.

Long term not ideal but an initial roof over the head.

I wonder why he would return to the Uk to pay 400 quid, that’s about 18k baht? You can get a nice place in Thailand for that much.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I wonder why he would return to the Uk to pay 400 quid, that’s about 18k baht? You can get a nice place in Thailand for that much.

As he’s too young to get a Pension & doesn’t have any other income I’m assuming he’ll get housing benefit so council will be paying. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Is your upcoming pension enough to live on in Thailand?

May 2024 is not that long at all. You could rough it out in Cambodia for the cost of your flight home maybe. How much is your return flight ticket going to cost?

You can live in Cambodia for basically nothing. Rooms up on victory hill, sihanoukville were dirt cheap (maybe $60 a month, that was years ago). Probably better then going back to an expensive country with nothing if your medical issue is solved. It’s a step down. Many broke expats there just drinking and dying, but it’s better then living on the streets.

You can get rooms locally for less than that.  ???? 1500 baht rooms aren’t in short supply and food can be relatively inexpensive. But he’ll still need to take care of his legal status. 

The alcoholism doesn’t sound good ☹️ Without that, he could perhaps survive on the proceeds of a whip round. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

That was me, but the guesthouse room was of identical dimensions to a UK prison cell, had no heating (this was February 2023, so after Covid) and I had to buy a standalone heater to keep warm), no hot shower water, loads of black mould climbing up the wall, all guesthouse facilities closed and the teenage manager stole my post on several occasions.

Found the thread with the poster in Blackpool guest house at 400 quid his input starts about page 5 to page 7 but actual details were not available, probably had good reasons for that privacy.

11 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I may be wrong but my understanding is most medicines in Thailand are generics.

You didn't read the comment correctly.

"Doctors in Thailand tend not to prescribe generic alternatives for expensive medications"

I would agree, when expensive medication is required it would normally be branded.

I  was prescribed apixaban and policy at the time was to provide Elquis, policy changed and they changed to another branded drug, forgot the name, which was twice as much as I was paying for the Elquis.

I declined and sourced a generic apixaban.

On 6/26/2023 at 1:46 AM, Terry2905 said:

My question is what what becomes of me when I arrive in the UK, with no accommodation and very little cash?

Have you considered getting a job?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/26/2023 at 1:57 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You go to a social services office or the help office at Heathrow.

Yes indeed. As a UK Citizen with a National Insurance Number (NIN) and "qualifying years", your nearest Social Security Office to where you land should assist you. Should you arrive at LHR, and as posted elsewhere, there is a Social Security  office within the airport. I wish you good luck and a stress free time back in the UK. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JayClay said:

On what grounds did they refuse? Have you tried posting on this site's "I drink too much" sub-forum for advice?

AA refused to help me after I told them that I was agnostic. They said that the AA was mostly prayer, which I am not willing to do. So it actually wasn't a refusal for help, but rather only telling me that they couldn't help me because of my faith. 

I am on the "drink problem " healthunlocked forum.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Terry , quote from the thread a year ago, link already provided further back in this thread might be worth messaging original poster for details..

On 8/16/2022 at 5:56 AM, RichardColeman said:

Blackpool, 50 yards from the beach. Own room with toilet/shower, double bed, tv, kettle , etc The owner also changed 1 room to a small kitchen with microwave, fridge, coffee maker etc. Room cleaned and bed clothes changed  once a week. Price was £90 a week double room, £75 for smaller room.

I'm not a fan of Blackpool, but I needed somewhere cheap so I could still fund the wife and kid during Covid, and the B and B was a life saver.

Another option is Vietnam. They extended the tourist visa to 90 days. It’s not hard to get an english teaching gig there and and they actually pay well. What’s a flight cost 1000 baht? Get a duper cheap Airbnb in Hanoi for $200 usd or so. You have 90 days to get a job and they sort the long term visa for you. Do you have a college degree? It’s even easier. It won’t be easy with a heart problem if your older, but if you were young you could hit the ground running and make it work.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sapson said:

Terry , quote from the thread a year ago, link already provided further back in this thread might be worth messaging original poster for details..

On 8/16/2022 at 5:56 AM, RichardColeman said:

Blackpool, 50 yards from the beach. Own room with toilet/shower, double bed, tv, kettle , etc The owner also changed 1 room to a small kitchen with microwave, fridge, coffee maker etc. Room cleaned and bed clothes changed  once a week. Price was £90 a week double room, £75 for smaller room.

I'm not a fan of Blackpool, but I needed somewhere cheap so I could still fund the wife and kid during Covid, and the B and B was a life saver.

That was during covid.  Maybe GH owner desperate for custom?

22 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

flying to heathrow///nearby hounslow has plenty of cheap  bnbs ,the dole office there is usually busy so you could try for universal credit payments of about 700 a month and your  health issues qualify s you for PIP payments but this takes time so u will need money to tide u over..and also housing benefits available

you will need your SS number and DOB

once its sorted you should geta about 1500 a month benefits 

He must have been residing continuously in the UK for the last two years to claim PIPS.

Terry, even though your situation is dire, posters have kindly provided a lot of guidance. Once you start to follow it doors will open and all will be well. Pray for assistance as well, even if you don't believe.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 3:08 AM, Si57 said:

And  then settled in north Midlands after finding a modest retirement home. Found a local job that pays well. Saving up for my next long adventure back in Thailand.

This sounds very interesting.  How would you feel about writing a little about what happened in a post of your own?  Maybe a vague account of how you ended up having to leave Thailand, then what happened when you got back to the UK, and what you're doing now?  Not too much detail of course, but it sounds fascinating, IMO.

So, if you're from somewhere (in the West) with decent social welfare (everywhere except the US?), and you're old and run out of money in Thailand, you can go home and get support?

That's a heck of a safety net, if true.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

That was during covid.  Maybe GH owner desperate for custom?

Quite likely they were and until end of Uk school holidays its peak season, but the beginning of Sept it quietens down, this is roughly when OP said he would go back so maybe worth a quick email enquiry.

Returning to the UK is the only sensible option for the OP.   His reserves of savings have been decimated by health treatments, and has no other source of income.   There is little point moving to adjacent countries such as Cambodia/Laos/Myanmar/Vietnam if you don't actually have any money or income.   At least in the UK can obtain free healthcare and come under their social security umbrella.   No, it will not be easy, and no doubt much anguish and soul searching along the way.   However, in general, the UK population is a compassionate one, and he will stand a much better chance of getting himself back on his feet there than anywhere in SE ASIA.   He has literally and metaphorically nothing to lose.

• Like 2