Possible return to the UK, without any money.

Hi everyone. 

It is looking likely that I will have to return to the UK in maybe the next 8 weeks. 

I have fallen on hard times, with a heart operation that the insurance refused to pay for. 

That took most of my savings. 

I do not receive my UK pension until May 2024, and my remaining savings will not last that long.

I suffer with extreme anxiety issues, and have become an acute alcoholic.

My question is what what becomes of me when I arrive in the UK, with no accommodation and very little cash?

I will be able to afford my flight, and a few nights stay in a b&b, but who would I need to contact immediately for accommodation assistance and income for necessesaties?

I have no family or friends that would help me.

So my basic question is what would be my 1st steps to take?

I can't seem to find any direct answers on the Internet. 

I only find things like contacting shelter UK, or the local council. I find it all very confusing, but maybe some of you have had friends in a similar situation, and can offer me advice. 

Thak you in advance for any advice you can offer me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

3 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

Thanks to the other people who have given me some constructive advice on the 1st steps to take.

Much appreciated.

A further thank you to other people who have taken your time with very helpful advice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

But the simple fact is that I had not planned for the massive expense for a heart operation. 

I wish you the best of luck. I cannot imagine having to go back to my home country with nothing to rely on. For me, the worst case scenario, if it came right down to it, I would move into the wilderness (USA), perhaps squat on some isolated government land and live off the land as much as possible.

May I ask, how much was the heart operation as I had a stent placed last year and while it was not in my budget it didn't break me. Also was the operation done in a private or government hospital?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i assume you have been here a while
my nephew came here for a year and a bit
when he returned home no money (20 years old)
he went straight to the social/housing very next morning first thing
they told him because he had been outside over a year he was classed as an immigrant
(he stupidly argued he was not an immigrant)
he got sent to some other office that dealt with immigrants
straight into a hostel same day and then
they had him housed in his own place in under 2 weeks, lots of grants everything, sorted super quick.

a friend also returned after a year here (40 years old)
he tried telling them (probably where he mkkd up) he should be classed as an immigrant, they laughed.

• Like 2

One problem you have to dodge is the HRT, habitual residence test, if youve been out of the country for a few years you have to wait three months on your return to then be eligible to claim universal credit the weekly allowance and housing benefit both would only start from month four.

Unless you dont tell them youve been abroad so long, then they require previous address employment etc so its difficult but possible. You must also show intent to make Uk now your permanent home.

However if you are deported not recommended you dont need the HRT test and qualify for immediate claiming of benefits. not sure if simply coming to the end of a visa soon and having to leave before illegal status imprisonment would work although its common sense not always noted by computer says no DSS new claims call center in Mumbai. 

Wish you the very best of good fortune!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All the best Terry, sounds like pre existing condition so the insurance would not pay. It's easy to think you can go home for health care, but not always possible depending on the problem. Blackpool is where Simon went and got treatment as well. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, simon43 said:

My insurance company refused to pay,

15 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

ith a heart operation that the insurance refused to pay for. 

Can you both help us out here---What insurance companies ?? ..There are people here that are looking to take out insurance, would be nice to know who to avoid.

• Love It 2

33 minutes ago, simon43 said:

So my UK pension of about 800 quid should see me fine

Is your Pension frozen in Laos Simon? 

I know it is in Thailand & it's not in Philippines but have no idea when it comes to Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia etc...   

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Is your Pension frozen in Laos Simon? 

I know it is in Thailand & it's not in Philippines but have no idea when it comes to Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia etc...   

Yes, it will be frozen when I start to receive it in 2 years from now.  The Philippines is the only country in Asia where it is not frozen.  Another destination where it would not be frozen is Mauritius, but you need to bring in $1,500 USD per month to qualify for an annual visa.  Most other locations where the UK state pension is not frozen would probably work out rather expensive (EU countries etc), although somewhere like Bulgaria is meant to be cheap and pleasant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, simon43 said:

To add my own comments, I went back to the UK for prostate cancer investigations after an MRI scan in Bangkok and raised PSA numbers suggested that early stage cancer was highly likely.  My insurance company refused to pay, so I returned to the UK for hospital investigations and possible treatment.  (Happily, cancer treatment was not necessary - the growths in my prostate were benign stones and I was able to return to Thailand and now have semi-retired to Laos.

I had no family ties in the UK, so chose Blackpool as the cheapest place to stay in a guesthouse.  However, it's only cheap in the Winter!  Hotel and guesthouse prices shoot up when it gets into Spring/Summer.

I was able to register for NHS etc within a few days and received free colon cancer check-up, free eye tests etc.

Before my cancer results were known, I seriously considered returning to the UK permanently.  But I rejected this because my UK pension (due in 2025) would see me living in poverty and reliant on social services handouts. Also, my lungs are (now what's the medical term?)... ah yes "<deleted>" in cold weather!!  So I returned to live in Laos where I am currently enjoying a very relaxing time and spending less than $500 per month (to cover ALL costs >>annual visa, private medical insurance, detached house rental by the Mekong river, food etc etc).  So my UK pension of about 800 quid should see me fine,, UNLESS I am forced to return to the UK due to some serious ailment or dementia etc.

Wherever you reside, your small income won't go far if you spend it on booze, fags, women etc etc.  Whatever you decide to do, please try to sort out your dependencies.  Good luck!

Get a forecast on the pension as you will be disappointed if you have ever opted out while working.