Possible return to the UK, without any money.

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So, if you're from somewhere with decent social welfare (everywhere except the US?), and you're old and run out of money in Thailand, you can go home and get support?

That's a heck of a safety net, if true.

Yep, thats why we pay heck of amount of taxes! Even provide housing, and emergency money when back, and pension until you die. 

Least monthly pension pay is pr today in baht

840 390 baht

Just a few months ago, it was 950k, but due to weaker kr, it is now only 840k

If my wife move to Norway, it is the amount she will get at 67 years old, without ever working in the country. And if lived 20 years minimum, she can also export her pension, and if less, she need to live minimum 6 months in Norway to keep it.

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

When youve been out of the country and the system for years and below pension claim age the only thing you can be sure of immediately on your return is emergency medical care which is so important.

Other benefits and assistance not assured until after 3 months.

Its no walk in the park!! but perhaps a lot of time spent there.

Edited by sapson
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

You say you're an acute alcoholic. If you are an alcoholic then simply returning and not having support or a concrete plan for help and support to leave behind your addiction then you are increasing your dangers exponentially.

Contact one of the residential alcohol and other drug rehabs near your home area or as close as can maybe in the UK and ask for a 'remote/over the phone assessment for admission.

This way you will have treatment, and a place to go to straight off the plane, or very shortly after you arrive home.

There is AA in Thailand and you can look them up via the web easily enough so you're not alone and struggling with your anxiety and addiction by yourself. They'll have a yarn with you anytime and if they're close by someone might meet you and spend a bit of safe easy time with you.

If you contact The Samaritans, St Vincent De Paul, The Salvation Army in the UK they should be able to help you find temporary accommodation that's safe until you can seek treatment.

I'm not sure of your social security services in the UK but if you ring their overseas free number you might be able to register for unemployment benefits so as soon as you arrive they will begin to give you some money.

All these services above will help with all this sort of stuff.

If you drink really heavily every day and have been for a long time DON'T stop drinking immediately - sometimes folks can have seizures if they do.

Cut down slowly and do your best to reduce a few drinks a day for a week or so until you are down to 1 then start to do the 24 hour thing i.e. I won't drink for today and repeat each day.

If you have had any seizures I would see a doctor (tell him the truth about how much you drink) and he will advise you, and maybe give some medication to help your withdrawal.

I understand all too well what you might be going through mate.

Good luck, stay safe.

Remember that drinking is only a temporary fix, it will actually increase your anxiety the next day before you take another drink. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

So, if you're from somewhere (in the West) with decent social welfare (everywhere except the US?), and you're old and run out of money in Thailand, you can go home and get support?

Makes me wish I was from the Uk.

You won’t get squat in the USA turning up skint. You would be under a bridge. Social programs do exist in theory but they are backlogged and very hard to take advantage of if your already down & out. Best to access them before you run out of money, not after.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

I suggest a dingy from Calais you will save on cheaper airfare, when you then steam to dover in your charted yacht from the RNLI, every thing is provided free, hotels, medical , cash handouts, phones., etc,

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1743561/braverman-five-star-hotels-migrant-crisis-army-bases-update

Edited by cowellandrew
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

you can start the universal credit claim online a few weeks in advance maybe ,its all done online now ,no address is asked for 

the salvation army do free meals 

and local churches may help with somewhere to kip

10 hours ago, sapson said:

Was that intended as helpful advice?

It still gets down to 12c at night in the Uk in summer and at age 60+ with health issues sleeping rough on a park bench when you are used to 30c+ temps in Thailand for many years is a totally ludicrous suggestion.

I am in very similar circumstances to the OP and on the fence about a Uk return with health age financial issues likely to force my hand.....its not an amusing or jovial situation.

Have a good day!

Hi

I am sorry to hear that you are also in a similar situation. 

It does not look good!

I received a reply today from the CAB, and I have basically been told that I will only be entitled to £56 a week, and advised that the council would not be able to offer me any accommodation, because even the shelter accommodation is full. They advised me to find covered shelter outside, preferably among a group of other homeless people. 

The only good news is that a local gp is obliged to prescribe any necessary medication, free of charge. 

Of course, I will also be entitled to free medical emergency healthcare. 

I am certainly not looking forward to my impending doom!

65 years old and sleeping rough in the streets in the UK does not appeal to me!

I guess my life is almost over?

And all because of Pacific Prime health insurance not paying for my heart operation, for the same reason as I read from another person on here, and that was accidentally not ticking 1 box on the questionnaire about an undiagnosed mental health issue. 

My heart condition was obviously not related to a mental health issue.

Anyway. 

I am passing on this information, quoting the direct reply from the CAB, and using their online calculator to assess my entitlement. 

£50 a week is not a lot to live on in the UK!

My options?

Basically none. 

I live on the ground floor of the condo I stay in, so throwing myself off the balcony is not an option. 

Yes, it has come to that, seriously considering suicide. 

I will not be posting anymore. 

Goodbye my friends. 

• Love It 1

12 minutes ago, Terry2905 said:

Hi

I am sorry to hear that you are also in a similar situation. 

It does not look good!

I received a reply today from the CAB, and I have basically been told that I will only be entitled to £56 a week, and advised that the council would not be able to offer me any accommodation, because even the shelter accommodation is full. They advised me to find covered shelter outside, preferably among a group of other homeless people. 

The only good news is that a local gp is obliged to prescribe any necessary medication, free of charge. 

Of course, I will also be entitled to free medical emergency healthcare. 

I am certainly not looking forward to my impending doom!

65 years old and sleeping rough in the streets in the UK does not appeal to me!

I guess my life is almost over?

And all because of Pacific Prime health insurance not paying for my heart operation, for the same reason as I read from another person on here, and that was accidentally not ticking 1 box on the questionnaire about an undiagnosed mental health issue. 

My heart condition was obviously not related to a mental health issue.

Anyway. 

I am passing on this information, quoting the direct reply from the CAB, and using their online calculator to assess my entitlement. 

£50 a week is not a lot to live on in the UK!

My options?

Basically none. 

I live on the ground floor of the condo I stay in, so throwing myself off the balcony is not an option. 

Yes, it has come to that, seriously considering suicide. 

I will not be posting anymore. 

Goodbye my friends. 

Don't lose hope.  Things will get better when you get used to your surroundings and start to ask around for help.

Most homeless people have mental health issues and actually want to be homeless or couldn't function otherwise.  Also, many people you see begging aren't in fact homeless.

I'm sure you will find people that will help you once you get to know the area and start asking people for help.

Fortune favours the bold!

On 6/26/2023 at 12:29 AM, jacko45k said:

Do the Salvation Army still offer accommodation for the homeless?

Yes. A retired acquaintance returned during Covid when everything was locked down. He couldnt pay for accommodation even if he wanted to as everything was closed.. The Sally Army took him in, in Durham I believe. He ended up with a council flat (Now Housing Association), thank you very much.

8 minutes ago, Terry2905 said:

Yes, it has come to that, seriously considering suicide

Life is short and precious. Suicide is stupid since you will die soon enough anyway.

You need to try and be positive instead of surrendering to despair . Where there is life there is hope. I just watched a youtube video about a guy who has been homeless for 15 years. Rather than just sleeping rough he got himself a tent and hiking gear and walked the entire UK coastline, not once but twice !! Hell of an experience. Took odd jobs along the way to earn odd cash. Mostly wild camped. Now in his 60's but intelligent and interesting with a philosophical outlook. Not bitter or regretful.

Always look on the bright side of life. Seems difficult but in the end everything in this life happens between the ears. In your mind. It all goes in in your mind.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 1:57 PM, dingdongrb said:

I wish you the best of luck. I cannot imagine having to go back to my home country with nothing to rely on. For me, the worst case scenario, if it came right down to it, I would move into the wilderness (USA), perhaps squat on some isolated government land and live off the land as much as possible.

May I ask, how much was the heart operation as I had a stent placed last year and while it was not in my budget it didn't break me. Also was the operation done in a private or government hospital?

I have also done the stent-thing.... May I inquire, how much did you pay for it and at what kind of hospital...

thanks..

On 6/26/2023 at 11:33 AM, oxo1947 said:

Can you both help us out here---What insurance companies ?? ..There are people here that are looking to take out insurance, would be nice to know who to avoid.

If as seems likely , an existing condition was not disclosed , then NO insurance would pay out.

1 hour ago, glegolo18 said:

I have also done the stent-thing.... May I inquire, how much did you pay for it and at what kind of hospital...

thanks..

I posted that information in another post after the one you have replied to.

160k, in a government hospital (Nan).

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, nglodnig said:

f they are not generics then they are usually fakes - so I heard. 70% of "branded" medicine is made in China or elsewhere?

Most generics in Thailand I see are either made in Thailand or in India. Never seen a chinese generic medicines in Thailand. And 20% generics medicines sold worldwide are made in India and in the US and UK the percentages are pretty high, may be closed to 50%. China provides the ingredients but I don't think they are a major player in manufacturing generics medicines worldwide. I also have noticed generics in Thailand are more expensive than in the USA. I compared 9-generics using data from Cost Plus Drugs (USA) and Thailand's Fascino. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

8 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

If as seems likely , an existing condition was not disclosed , then NO insurance would pay out.

In the USA you need to give permission for records disclosure. They don’t just give it to anyone who asks! They are VERY strict about disclosure.

Good luck any company here that wants past records without permission looking for past ailments. You get nothing!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

In the USA you need to give permission for records disclosure. They don’t just give it to anyone who asks! They are VERY strict about disclosure.

It is usually a condition of acceptance of the new insurance policy that you agree to give permission for records disclosure.  You don't give permission >>> your insurance cover is refused.

42 minutes ago, simon43 said:

It is usually a condition of acceptance of the new insurance policy that you agree to give permission for records disclosure.  You don't give permission >>> your insurance cover is refused.

Maybe the best thing to do is ask for them to do their own exam. If the exam comes up clear they approve afterwards, not before.

That way there is no “going back later to find things”. You know if you are covered or not and you’re not put in a middleman position of transcribing medical records for them and making mistakes.

Edited by JimTripper

11 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

Terry - I asked you to PM me as I think I can help you.  If you don't want any help that's OK.  I will log in tomorrow to check but after that I can be of no further help to you.

Why don't you PM him??

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/26/2023 at 5:09 PM, simon43 said:

To add my own comments, I went back to the UK for prostate cancer investigations after an MRI scan in Bangkok and raised PSA numbers suggested that early stage cancer was highly likely.  My insurance company refused to pay, so I returned to the UK for hospital investigations and possible treatment.  (Happily, cancer treatment was not necessary - the growths in my prostate were benign stones and I was able to return to Thailand and now have semi-retired to Laos.

I had no family ties in the UK, so chose Blackpool as the cheapest place to stay in a guesthouse.  However, it's only cheap in the Winter!  Hotel and guesthouse prices shoot up when it gets into Spring/Summer.

I was able to register for NHS etc within a few days and received free colon cancer check-up, free eye tests etc.

Before my cancer results were known, I seriously considered returning to the UK permanently.  But I rejected this because my UK pension (due in 2025) would see me living in poverty and reliant on social services handouts. Also, my lungs are (now what's the medical term?)... ah yes "<deleted>" in cold weather!!  So I returned to live in Laos where I am currently enjoying a very relaxing time and spending less than $500 per month (to cover ALL costs >>annual visa, private medical insurance, detached house rental by the Mekong river, food etc etc).  So my UK pension of about 800 quid should see me fine,, UNLESS I am forced to return to the UK due to some serious ailment or dementia etc.

Wherever you reside, your small income won't go far if you spend it on booze, fags, women etc etc.  Whatever you decide to do, please try to sort out your dependencies.  Good luck!

Never mind, I see you answered my question on page 2. 

What insurance company refused to pay?  What was for their denial reason?  Thanks -I'm looking into an insurance change and have 3 months before my current plan expires.

Edited by atpeace

30 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Never mind, I see you answered my question on page 2. 

What insurance company refused to pay?  What was for their denial reason?  Thanks -I'm looking into an insurance change and have 3 months before my current plan expires.

The reason for denial for the 'catch-all' excuse that I (by mistake) failed to declare a pre-existing condition that had nothing to do with the medical condition of my claim...

When I recently applied for a new medical insurance policy with a different company, I provided them with a lengthy list of literally every single ailment that I could remember from birth, on the basis that they would then not be in a position to deny a claim based on an undeclared condition.  So in that list was being hit by a motorbike at age 11, a birthmark (from birth), a benign mole removal 15 years ago, a bunion that I've had for the past 30+ years and so on.  Maybe the insurance company thinks I'm crazy, but I do not want to be in the position again of a 'shyster' insurance company falling back on the catch-all excuse to deny a IMHO valid claim.

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

The reason for denial for the 'catch-all' excuse that I (by mistake) failed to declare a pre-existing condition that had nothing to do with the medical condition of my claim...

When I recently applied for a new medical insurance policy with a different company, I provided them with a lengthy list of literally every single ailment that I could remember from birth, on the basis that they would then not be in a position to deny a claim based on an undeclared condition.  So in that list was being hit by a motorbike at age 11, a birthmark (from birth), a benign mole removal 15 years ago, a bunion that I've had for the past 30+ years and so on.  Maybe the insurance company thinks I'm crazy, but I do not want to be in the position again of a 'shyster' insurance company falling back on the catch-all excuse to deny a IMHO valid claim.

Good advice and I will do the same.   Your post just made remember minor hospital visits I had forgot about (wart removal, benign small lump on neck, ingrown toenail...).  What a pain in the buttt. It seems the best option is to be as healthy and honest when applying for a policy.  Then just hope everything will ends well.  What a minefield for the insurance provider as well as the insured.

4 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

Terry - I hope you get to read this even though you said in your post you would not be posting anymore.

Please do NOT do anything stupid or on impulse.  There are actually many ways you can get help both here in Thailand and back in the UK.  I offered you help if you PM'd me but you didn't and I need just two pieces of information to start the helping process - 1) your location in Thailand [just town or city not actual address] and 2) some contact detail where you can be reached.

If you are serious about getting help you need to contact me - I have connections where help is available.  I can do nothing without the two pieces of information above and a PM keeps it out of the public eye.

Once again - please do not do anything rash without letting me try to help.

Just now, Terry2905 said:
4 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

Terry - I hope you get to read this even though you said in your post you would not be posting anymore.

Please do NOT do anything stupid or on impulse.  There are actually many ways you can get help both here in Thailand and back in the UK.  I offered you help if you PM'd me but you didn't and I need just two pieces of information to start the helping process - 1) your location in Thailand [just town or city not actual address] and 2) some contact detail where you can be reached.

If you are serious about getting help you need to contact me - I have connections where help is available.  I can do nothing without the two pieces of information above and a PM keeps it out of the public eye.

Once again - please do not do anything rash without letting me try to help.

Expand  

I don't know how to pm you.