Possible return to the UK, without any money.

What was your UK working background?   Were you a member at any time of the armed forces or any other government occupation (local council, civil service etc etc).   These entities have charities and benevolent funds that may be able to help.   

I think the very first thing you need to do is at least get an address to be able to register for NHS treatment, and Social Security.   Wherever you might end up, there is likely to be a Citizens Advice Bureau that will offer perhaps not solutions but a reality check of what options and help is available to you:   https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/   I believe you can chat on-line so would be able to touch base with them before you leave Thailand and perhaps help  you formulate a plan.   One thing is for sure, you are not the first that this has happened to, and certainly won't be the last.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, proton said:

Get a forecast on the pension as you will be disappointed if you have ever opted out while working. 

Luckily I had the good sense to get a forecast some years ago and was able to voluntarily top up many years at the cheapest rate (because I was working outside the UK).  So my 800 pounds or so is the latest forecast if I just pay the small amounts that will be due this and next year.

Also, the insurance company who refused my claim was April International (France)  - the expat insurer, not April Thailand. The reasons for their refusal were covered in a separate thread, but basically they refused my claim because I forgot to disclose a medical condition that was unrelated to the suspected prostate cancer.  I could argue that this was my innocent error, but I certainly would not want to take out insurance with a company who uses their 'small print' to refuse a claim for medical treatment that's unrelated to the medical condition that I forgot to mention (minor BPH that was verbally mentioned to me years earlier).

I do have new insurance now with WR Life (with the exclusion of BPH but including cover for prostate cancer).

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

Well, I brought a foldup bike in Penang George town time square.its been a great friend around Thailand & Laos, like a Brompton but cheaper and aluminium frame.i took it to Blackpool on national express. Stayed in B&B for a week I think it was about 70-80 quid 2016. I had some means I thought I would buy a small diesel MPV van I saw at a dealer. Got the guy at the car dealership to agree to let me use his address for the log book. Just to get out of wind and rain get a little sleep was a life saver. I spent 4 months moving around and kipping in the van.

I still have the van to this day, best way to save money if you can when homeless.

• Like 1

flying to heathrow///nearby hounslow has plenty of cheap  bnbs ,the dole office there is usually busy so you could try for universal credit payments of about 700 a month and your  health issues qualify s you for PIP payments but this takes time so u will need money to tide u over..and also housing benefits available

you will need your SS number and DOB

once its sorted you should geta about 1500 a month benefits 

If the medical is being done in the Uk then the hospital is your first resource. Social workers would be there to link you up with whatever free resources you qualify for.

If your just going back because your out of money you hit the ground running. That means minimal luggage or just a shoulder bag, hitch hiking into a large city, finding a dry safe place for shelter like under a bridge where one sided is protected. Get cardboard, built what shelter you can. In the morning hit garbage cans behind restaurants for food. Find other camps and integrate into a community of homeless where others know where to get food and water. Follow what others do. Survive. Your safer together, alone your vulnerable. Build from there. Good luck.

Despite what you see in the press about homless people in the UK, most are homless because they want to be, or have abused the right (drugs, alcohol). Local councils have a legal obligation to shelter you.

https://www.gov.uk/if-youre-homeless-at-risk-of-homelessness

https://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/what-do-if-you-are-homeless

Maybe your mistake was not going back to the UK for your heart where it would have been free op, just saying

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I wish you the best of luck. I cannot imagine having to go back to my home country with nothing to rely on. For me, the worst case scenario, if it came right down to it, I would move into the wilderness (USA), perhaps squat on some isolated government land and live off the land as much as possible.

May I ask, how much was the heart operation as I had a stent placed last year and while it was not in my budget it didn't break me. Also was the operation done in a private or government hospital?

Yes you may ask the cost of the heart stent operation. It was a total of 840,000 baht, done in a private hospital, as that was my only option. From my knowledge, there are no government hospitals that can perform stent placement?

I also then suffered from acute gastritis, which cost an extra 380, 000 baht, for mri scans and a very painful colonoscopy.

The good news is that the mri scans and colonoscopy showed no problems. 

I am pleased to hear that your stent operation did not break your finances, but in my case it did!

5 hours ago, proton said:

Get a forecast on the pension as you will be disappointed if you have ever opted out while working. 

Yes I have my pension forecast through the government gateway, and I will get 3 years less pension due to missing 3 years of contributions. I was actually going to lose more than 6 years, but I was allowed to make a lump sum to recover 3 years. 

Being honest though, with being refused health insurance here in Thailand due to previous existing health conditions and mental health issues, the cost of private health care in Thailand on only a basic UK pension is going to be a big problem!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Terry2905 said:

Yes you may ask the cost of the heart stent operation. It was a total of 840,000 baht, done in a private hospital, as that was my only option. From my knowledge, there are no government hospitals that can perform stent placement?

I also then suffered from acute gastritis, which cost an extra 380, 000 baht, for mri scans and a very painful colonoscopy.

????

The good news is that the mri scans and colonoscopy showed no problems. 

I am pleased to hear that your stent operation did not break your finances, but in my case it did!

380 k for gastritis sounds over the top, endoscopies at Bangkok hospital must only be about 20k now, 11 when I had one, I'd want a new stomach fitted for 380 k ????

5 hours ago, thaitero said:

Only about 10 months when your income kick in ?

How about to make really cheap charlie budget and do not go anywhere ?

It can not be much money you are lacking for this option since you think you have funds for tickets etc..

Maby some expat friend can help you to stay this 10 months..

Of cource you should search for help for this boozeproblem, where ever you are

Good luck

Thanks for the input. I do have a very complex excel spreadsheet for a forecast, and all the possible scenarios that I put in show me that I can't survive until May 2024. I am not willing to beg for money. I am too proud to do that.

I have tried to address my alcoholism, but even the AA here in pattaya have refused to help in any way. 

The local psychiatrist has told me that he can't help me with alcoholism, apart from attending a rehabilitation centre, which will cost about 1 million baht.

Giving up alcoholism is not easy, and can be fatal if total abstinence is tried, without medication and support. 

Withdrawal symptoms can be fatal.

11 minutes ago, proton said:

380 k for gastritis sounds over the top, endoscopies at Bangkok hospital must only be about 20k now, 11 when I had one, I'd want a new stomach fitted for 380 k ????

Well, that is what it cost me for the full mri scan and colonoscopy. 

I must admit I am glad I have been proven wrong and am impressed by the level of useful advice being given to the unfortunate OP.

No snarky "try GoFundMe" (unless they got moderated which in itself is a good sign).

Again best of luck to the OP. Could have happened to any of us. 

41 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I may be wrong but my understanding is most medicines in Thailand are generics.

If they are not generics then they are usually fakes - so I heard. 70% of "branded" medicine is made in China or elsewhere?

Is your upcoming pension enough to live on in Thailand?

May 2024 is not that long at all. You could rough it out in Cambodia for the cost of your flight home maybe. How much is your return flight ticket going to cost?

You can live in Cambodia for basically nothing. Rooms up on victory hill, sihanoukville were dirt cheap (maybe $60 a month, that was years ago). Probably better then going back to an expensive country with nothing if your medical issue is solved. It’s a step down. Many broke expats there just drinking and dying, but it’s better then living on the streets.

Edited by JimTripper

6 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

have tried to address my alcoholism, but even the AA here in pattaya have refused to help in any way.

On what grounds did they refuse? Have you tried posting on this site's "I drink too much" sub-forum for advice?

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

Hi. Yes I had the same problem with non disclosure of a medical condition, which I ticked the wrong box to on the 4 page very small print questionnaire, which was actually an undiagnosed mental health issue. 

But we all know that insurance companies use any excuse not to pay.

My heart operation was very unexpected, because I was very active and physically fit, sailing every day for 2 to 3 hours, so it came as a complete shock to me. 

But because I did not declare an undiagnosed possible anxiety issue, my policy got cancelled. 

This is a warning to everyone, that even a small typo error on an application form for health insurance can have serious consequences. 

Funny how insurance companies keep the premiums already paid, even when they are declining to honor a claim.

13 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

weather in uk is very warm 28 degs so you could sleep outside in the parks somewhere and join other rough  sleepers ,,good luck...

without trouble if you keep a low profile

Was that intended as helpful advice?

It still gets down to 12c at night in the Uk in summer and at age 60+ with health issues sleeping rough on a park bench when you are used to 30c+ temps in Thailand for many years is a totally ludicrous suggestion.

I am in very similar circumstances to the OP and on the fence about a Uk return with health age financial issues likely to force my hand.....its not an amusing or jovial situation.

Have a good day!

• Thanks 2